building a sealed room in an uninsulated workshop

• Thread starter blackcat
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

blackcat

hi all i have a 20x32' workshop which is unininsulated and basically a barn with a nice cement foundation and 200A service.

to give you an idea of what the shop/barn is like, there are gaps between the roof and the walls where the roof sits. the studs that make up the wall are 2x4s sideways so there isn't much depth for adding insulation.

what is the best way to build a sealed room in here? for a standalone sealed room within the workshop should I insulate the workshop walls as well as my seperate sealed room walls or is just insulating my sealed rooms walls good enough? i live in a mild climate but want to do the job right the first time. i think insulating the workshop walls themselves might be overkill and i wanan work smart not waste $$$$. also can anyone poiint me in direction of a good carpentry resource. ive never built sealed standalone rooms before. this is all new to me.

p.s. what type of wall material should i use in my grow room? whatever it is will be covered with white poly for reflectivity. we have lots of drywall if thats a good material to use.

B

blackcat

p.p..s my floor is cement. i was planning on simply elevating my plant pots on foam insulation.

hiboy

hiboy

Where to start...
Probably first with the gaps you were talking about. those should be filled. Couple options, expandable foam works well, probably the best solution. Or line it with strips of wood, Others will have ideas so get ready for lots of em. Noone is right or wrong, its what works best for you and within your skill level. Insulating can be done , just get the type for 2x4 even if yours is sideways it still gives you an inch and a half. just squish it. Greenboard is better than drywall, its more mold/ water resistant but yes more expensive. You could even install sound board before it. Depends on your wallet. it adds up quick. I like an oil based paint like your kitchen or bathroom. If ya have water spills, etc it stand up longer than water based.
Concrete paint works well to seal the floor, easy to wipe up compared to pourus concrete.
hiboy

B

blackcat

hey guys thx for the info. im a grower not a carpenter but i realize growers should have a wide range of skillsets its just that i havent ever done this kind of work before so im a bit unsure if how im approaching it is sound in the construction world

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

Looks like time to read up on construction or get your buddy who can build stuff to come over and help out. I think that G.o.D. has the room figured out right. Now get to gettin'

-TF

hiboy

hiboy

Many ways to go about it, just depends on how much money and skill you have. YOu could also frame in metal stud , lots easier to do than wood and cheaper. Really depends on how serious you are and how long you might keep it going
hiboy

Giddeon

Giddeon

I agree with G.o.D.

I'd start with a total outer size of 25' x 15' and inside this frame a wall at 15' away from your door to basically create a 15' x 15' Flower Room and a 10' x 15' Veg Room. Take your 200A drop and run 50A to your Veg setup and 150A to your Flower side, obviously dont max either out. I run a 12 x 11 Sealed room on 150A safely, split 100A for my lights and 50A for my 5ton AC.

Brush up on basic framing and wiring techniques and Ask people where you can for help,

Giddeon

If you are interested in that room set-up I have described I can draw it up and throw up a rough draft of what I'm talking about.

B

Bobby Smith

hey guys thx for the info. im a grower not a carpenter but i realize growers should have a wide range of skillsets its just that i havent ever done this kind of work before so im a bit unsure if how im approaching it is sound in the construction world

Hey bro, same situation as me - I couldn't change a tire last year, and I built an insulated 14x10 sealed room in my garage from scratch, by myself.

Take a look at my construction journal ("4 600s or 3 1000s"), and maybe you might save yourself some of the same headaches that my stupid ass did.

I didn't know how to use drywall, so I used plywood for everything (ceiling, exterior, and interior).

P

primeform

There are some badass tents. Just saw a thread where a guy zipped 2 of them together. 10x20 tents. so 2 of them thats 400 square feet.

G

gooey

I use polyshield from home depot...nice insulation, good relection...ill try n post pics room was 15x15, same type of situation your in...my only advice is dont forget a heater...unless your mild climate has no cold nights...the cement floor got real cold, our shit froze in the winter...not the crop lol the res,purifier etc...gl happy growing

Top Bottom