Building A Semi Greenhouse Grow Room... Suggestion?

• Thread starter GoldNBoy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GoldNBoy

GoldNBoy

I'm planning to build a tuff shed type grow room, to keep my mother plants (3) . I have some storm windows & doors, that I plan to use on three sides. Also picked up framing lumber and good sheet metal siding. I will use both solar & wind energy to supplement light and heat through the winter months. I have some mylar space blankets, to line the walls after I figure out my insulation.
I don't have the finances to do a traditional indoor. I still need to figure out how to setup some thermostats & timers.

GoldNBoy

GoldNBoy

I'm planning to build a tuff shed type grow room, to keep my mother plants (3) . I have some storm windows & doors, that I plan to use on three sides. Also picked up framing lumber and good sheet metal siding. I will use both solar & wind energy to supplement light and heat through the winter months. I have some mylar space blankets, to line the walls after I figure out my insulation.
I don't have the finances to do a traditional indoor. I still need to figure out how to setup some thermostats & timers.

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
You could use mylar bubble wrap insulation over top of foam board insulation.

GoldNBoy

GoldNBoy

I know a guy that has foil wrap foam board. Just didn't think it'd be enough, in a really bad snowstorm.

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
Yeah, thebubble wrap alone wouldnt be enough but with the foam board caulked and duct taped with the reflective bubble on top of that you should be good with the lights on but you may have to rig some type of heater for lights out.

GoldNBoy

GoldNBoy

I'm also thinking I should use an oldold foundation, that I found tilling my garden. If I dig down about 3 feet, I have some geothermal heat and use less metal. I have built several passive solar heaters in the past. I'll add a thermostat and an exhaust vent.
I experimented with different household lightbulb setups. I have an LED shoplight, two fluorescent and a 90w halogen. The halogen would be for cloudy days, all three for adding hours of light to 18/6.
I plan to mount a wind turbine and a solar panel. With a decent battery bank, I can run at least four halogen car headlights. It'll also power my sprayer and circulation pump.

GoldNBoy

GoldNBoy

I've seen several affordable LED setups. Thinking oneone of these would make a much more productive grow. I'm wondering if there is a way to do this without killin' my electric bill.

Homesteader

Homesteader

Maybe you could scale this down to size. 180mph wind rating. Gives you height. Not sure about snow load. Fairly easy to build and strong.

Many people use this style of framing to work on boats, you may find a smaller version using less lumber.

Last edited:
AvidLerner

AvidLerner

Two layers of 2" rigid insulation should be adequate. Those storm windows and door are going to need a layer of clear plastic to create a weather break to help insulate windows and doors.

Top Bottom