Building LED grow lights...

• Thread starter NorKillKustoms
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
N

NorKillKustoms

Now, ideally, Id love for this to turn into an informative how to tutorial if I take this route.. heh.. but hi there, farmers, first post time.

Looking around I can see that LEDs are a popular option for indoor growing. Being the penny pinching handyman that I am, I instantly think "Well shoot, wiring LEDs isnt hard at all". Looking around, Im APPALLED at the price of many LED banks for growing. Really? Up to the THOUSANDS of dollars for LED banks?
It would seem that the red/blue combo is popular(if someone would like to tell me why, thatd be great, too) and I can get 225bulb r/b banks on ebay for around $25, which seems reasonable.

BUT, id still like to just make my own. Can anyone give me any insight as to what I should be getting together for a bank? Like, what are the best bulbs as far as growing goes? Is there a specific pattern they should be in? etc.

Any & all info back would be greatly appreciated. Id be more than happy to post an in-depth tutorial for everyone once Im done.

jagle

jagle

you need to get high wattage, i think 3 or 5 watt bulbs, and the right spectrum, or nanometer of light i believe

BrandonBlack

BrandonBlack

Custom colors is the way to go. 3 or 5 watt bulbs are bull shit. Cheaper is never better with LEDs. I hand build LED grow systems in america with american made parts. Do you know how to build your own controllers for the LEDs? Are you going to build your own power supplies? When companies build grow lights, prices start off high becuase they can only buy so much in bulk. A decent start up would be half a million dollars. That is not counting machines and tools or man hours. When someone like you who is building one at a time or less than 100, the parts to build your light are going to cost a lot more. In your case it would be cheaper to buy a LED system from the internet than to buy the parts.

grower2

grower2

Custom colors is the way to go.

Custom colors is the way to go? Way to state exactly what an LED diode does, provide a specific wavelength of color to your choosing hence custom.

3 or 5 watt bulbs are bull shit.

3w and 5w is not bullshit, that is your opinion from the knowledge you have available, and we already know you believe your "80w" LED to be far superior than anything else in the world, based on your opinion.

In your case it would be cheaper to buy a LED system from the internet than to buy the parts.

What like the one you sell? You did not ask any specifics to what he is trying to accomplish, yet you know. Again this is your opinion.

Cheaper is never better with LEDs

Aha, one reliable piece of info.

Norkillkustoms, I'd suggest doing as much research as yo can into the different spectrums, and shop around for what closest matches your desired outcome with your project. Maybe you don't want to spend top dollar for the best LED, maybe you find a one off spectrum at a better deal and is close enough for you, who knows, look into it, gain as much info as possible, and most likely try and fail a few times to see what works, gain valuable knowledge, and keep going!

You'll most likely want the majority of LEDs in the red spectrum if looking to flower, around 660nm, give or take what you find and decides will work for your project/budget. Then next in line you want the blue spectrum around 450nm. Throw in a few white LEDs, maybe a far red, and a couple different blues and reds around my suggested wavelengths for each. I'd read up a lot on LEDs if I were yo though before spending any money on such a project.

Good luck!

BrandonBlack

BrandonBlack

You only get to choose what is available, the GL700 has dialed in dies. Learn a little about color mixing while you are at it.

BrandonBlack

BrandonBlack

I say 3w and 5w are bull shit because they are not 3w or 5w. They are selling a lie.

grower2

grower2

You first claimed your lights were 80w, then it was 82.5w with a max of 90w. Who is misleading whom?

And I have offered real and constructive advice to someone stating they intend to BUILD there own light as opposed to buying one. No where did I claim anything I said to be all encompassing or the absolute truth as it pertains to LEDs, such as you yourself are doing. Nor did I claim that to be all the information I possess on the topic, but merely a small guide and a stepping stone for him to seek out his own knowledge.

I'm keeping it real, and you are living in lala land where your shit don't stink, all over the THC Farmer LED section.

P

pat13524

#firstpost

so the basic colours you will need will be:

Deep Red(660nm) chlorophyll a
Red(630nm) chlorophyll b
Royal Blue(455nm) chlorophyll b
Blue(430nm) chlorophyll a
White (3k-3.5k) - To cover the gaps in the spectrum.

Now there are other spectrums that the plant needs ie. IR and UV. if you're planning on dropping a bit more cash into the project.

The REAL question is the ratio of the wavelengths. From what I have read before i started my Mini DIY LED panel was: (DeepRed-Red-RoyalBlue-Blue-White) 6-2-1-1

or if your only going for one type of red and blue: RBW (8-1-1)

edit: I believe this is more for flowering but could easily be used start to finish.. just my 2cents

Top Bottom