Bulb Protection After Brown Out

• Thread starter StandingRock
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
StandingRock

StandingRock

We had two brownouts this week that ruined all my CMH bulbs. This is the second time this has happened I’m kind of sick of this happening. Does anyone have any ideas of how to prevent this? Are there timers out there that delay power after a brown or black out? Any ideas would help.

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
We had two brownouts this week that ruined all my CMH bulbs. This is the second time this has happened I’m kind of sick of this happening. Does anyone have any ideas of how to prevent this? Are there timers out there that delay power after a brown or black out? Any ideas would help.
Use a timer that doesnt come back on after brown out..im sure there are cheap digitals...dont use analog..it keeps lights on.... i would rather it shut down for the day than hot starting your ballasts over and over.

StandingRock

StandingRock

Use a timer that doesnt come back on after brown out..im sure there are cheap digitals...dont use analog..it keeps lights on.... i would rather it shut down for the day than hot starting your ballasts over and over.

Me too! I’ll try this out

newh

newh

My ballast wont restrike a hot bulb,I thought the cmh ballasts had that protection also.What brand is it?

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
Me too! I’ll try this out
Thats what you need right there... and cap is cool. I have come home from work and found the power for hours hahaha.
15 aint a bad offset and will be plenty of time to cool down.

I remember living by a hospital once... those fuckers browned out the block constantly. I dont care about their fancy x ray machines.... my light is more important hahaha

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Wire your timer for lights into a GFCI outlet. You mist manually reset the circuit (plug or breaker) after a power outage. Do NOT USE THIS FOR A SUMP PUMP!!! Your basement WILL flood!

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
Wire your timer for lights into a GFCI outlet. You mist manually reset the circuit (plug or breaker) after a power outage. Do NOT USE THIS FOR A SUMP PUMP!!! Your basement WILL flood!
Sounds like someone has experience making indoor ponds hahaha. Water and electricity are made for each other.... like a fat kid and cake!!! i like the idea of it not going back on till you go check it out.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

No
I'e been super busy with the new laws and shit setting up new legal grows. Anything below grade requires a GFCI socket or breaker. I live where houses have basements, so most have sump pumps. They run in power. Since the plugs below grade, you have to follow code.
BUT WAIT!

If your power goes out, no sump pump. The water still needs to go somewhere. A flooded basement. I know of 30 cases already. Some growers, couple family members, and clients

In my house, we do not have a sump pump or hole for one. Bummer

G gnome

G gnome

Certain ballasts will not allow bulbs to fire till they cool off. I know for certain the sunbursts r this way

StandingRock

StandingRock

Mine are new solisteks. I can’t believe they aren’t protected.

P

PharmHand

The way my friend wired my rooms high heat shut off would help in your situation. There's a thermostat in the room that cuts the power to the lights in case it gets too hot in there. The thermostat is wired to a relay that is wired to a contactor and start/stop buttons. Works great in case of a over heat situation but it also trips evertime the power flickers then I gotta go in there and manually push the start button again to fire up the lights. This winters been a bitch so far ice storms and power outages.... I've got the nano 630 fixtures and ,knock on wood, haven't lost any YET..... I would've thought the solisteks would have been able to handle that better they ain't cheap. Is the ballast fine after the fact? Just the bulb fucked?

StandingRock

StandingRock

The way my friend wired my rooms high heat shut off would help in your situation. There's a thermostat in the room that cuts the power to the lights in case it gets too hot in there. The thermostat is wired to a relay that is wired to a contactor and start/stop buttons. Works great in case of a over heat situation but it also trips evertime the power flickers then I gotta go in there and manually push the start button again to fire up the lights. This winters been a bitch so far ice storms and power outages.... I've got the nano 630 fixtures and ,knock on wood, haven't lost any YET..... I would've thought the solisteks would have been able to handle that better they ain't cheap. Is the ballast fine after the fact? Just the bulb fucked?

Well see if the ballasts are damaged or not. I’m not sure if I’m impressed with these bulbs and hoods or not. I could just be messing up something but I go through bulbs far too often.

Top Bottom