Bulb Replacement

• Thread starter Memorias
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Memorias

Memorias

Hey farmers how's it going? I'm needing some help. How often should the bulbs be replaced? I've been running my 600 hps for about a year. Also was wondering if anyone could recommend what's best, i use solar max. Appreciate all input....:bong-hits:

F

FastForward

I just replaced my 600w HPS after about 7 months....although I'm told ideally you should change them every couple of crops to keep things optimal. For £20 it's not the end of the world imho...

w00dy

w00dy

Premium Member
Supporter
Anyone using the 600 Sunmaster found it for $63 wondering if its worth it?

thesoftdrugbaron

thesoftdrugbaron

sunmaster .. are the best .... i change every second grow, just like fastforward.

R

rayvon

yup couple o grows here max before i change bulb, plants just seem more trich laden under new bulbs :)

MidLifeCrisis

MidLifeCrisis

Honestly...about once a year for me...haven't noticed any decrease in yield, and after replacing, box them up with a date labeled, and will store for a backup until a trip to the shop is possible...

Edited to add...I use the solarmax too...

Memorias

Memorias

Thanks for the input farmers. Reason I asked was I just noticed that my last harvest had way more leaves than the previous. I'm thinking about using Eye Hortilux but it's really spendy. Is this bulb worth the money? OR should I go for Solarmax, which has given me good results so far and a little cheaper. Thanks

F

FastForward

Also be aware that the Grolux bulbs are designed to burn bright and fast, so max 2 crops - ideally every crop. I'm using Grolux and Sunmaster dual spectrums, and the Grolux 400 seems brighter than the Sunmaster 400 (my mate SeenTheLight said the same)...but probably not over time.

H

hererisssh

Premium Member
Supporter
I've always run the hortilux memorias and change about once a year, unless the bulb is showing it's age early.

Memorias

Memorias

Thanks for the info FF. I will keep that in mind, was not aware of that. Also, that sounds good to me Hererisssh; once a year. Thanks
I'm on the hunt on ebay for best price for Eye Hortilux 600 hps. If I find a reasonable price I'll post the link. If there's anyone that knows of a good place to purchase, please let me know. :smiley_joint: Thanks

J

jdubz206

i'm a hortilux user as well. i change bulbs every 6-9 months but after seeing how many people wait 12, i may push them a little longer.

T

Thomas_J

I'm using Hortilux super HPS for flower. If you run them on 12/12 for a whole year, that's only 4380 hours. Their rated life is 24000 hours. That's just over 18% of their rated life. At that point, their output should still be about 95% of their initial lumen output. According to specs, after 2 solid years of running 12/12, 365 days a year, they would still be putting out around 90% of their initial output. I know, they probably won't live up to specs, and lots of things can shorten their life, but unless you are REALLY concerned about maximizing output of your garden and are running them perpetually (and neither case applies to me), you should be able to get at least a couple of years out of your bulbs without dropping below 90% of the initial lumen output, at least with the hortilux super HPS.

P

Plantwhisperer

Really 2 years I was wondering cause I have new lamp and a used 1 same brand and 1 side growth is lower.

T

Thomas_J

Really 2 years I was wondering cause I have new lamp and a used 1 same brand and 1 side growth is lower.

Depends on the bulb. Different bulbs are completely different animals. The specs I listed were for a Hortilux Super HPS, 400W bulb that I use, obtained from their product specs...other bulbs can and will be completely different. In addition, lot's of other things affect will affect growth and harvest....pot size, feeding, individual plant vigor, phenotype/genetics, etc. In addition, YES, you could see decreased growth under a year old bulb versus a new one, depending on your setup. Here's the question you've got to ask - is it worth it, for your personal situation, to replace a bulb because you would yield "X" amount less? ("X" being some unknown amount of harvest you might not get because your bulb's output is 90% of maximum) Consider also that just because your light is at 90% of it's maximum output doesn't necessarily mean your yield will be 10% less than when your bulb was new. Light is not always the limiting factor in every grow. I guess the point I was rather vaguely alluding to is that in the end, you have to weigh the cost versus benefit and go with what you feel is best for your situation.

purpleberry

purpleberry

Does anyone use a light meter to see when they should replace the bulb? Ive thought about getting one but wasnt sure if they are worth it.

Top Bottom