bulb stuck in socket

• Thread starter jdubz206
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

jdubz206

i have a 1000 watt hps bulb stuck in the socket...when i try to unscrew it, the glass part of the bulb turns and the metal part screwed into the base stays in place...what's the best way to get this out?

Kuntjoose

Kuntjoose

so is the bulb itself broken? like the glass has detached from the base?

L

landspeed

If the glass and socket separated you will need to kill all power first. You may need to remove the glass (break) from the socket and use some pliers to manually unscrew the base from the socket.

pimpin

pimpin

strain hoarder
Supporter
if its apart from the base disconnect it from the power and grab some needle nose pliers twist it out carefully

R

Rural_GrowOp

I hope that you can get it out with out having to break the glass but if you cant use a potato to get the base out after you break the glass.

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
If it is already sliding on the sleeve of the glass, the bulb is toast, the gas has escaped for sure. Sometimes those things will arc or get a little condesation in there and weld themselves to the mogul base walls.

If it is the worst case scenario you may have to replace the mogul socket as well but either way your breakin some glass to get it out.

Tex

L

luvinlife

Im with Rural, I've had to do the potatoe trick before on a regular light socket, it worked great! but I'm sure the ole needlenose will do just fine too!....

J

Jalisco Kid

After you unplug it wait a bit for the capacitor to discharge, as they do pack a bite. JK
Next time you get a difficult bulb try smacking it up it the socket, That can get rid of some tension hold the bulb in. They are not made with the closest of specs.

J

jdubz206

thanks for all the replies...i shoulda been more specific, the power is completely turned off..this is for a new room i'm setting up..i screwed a bulb in the ballast and when i tried unscrewing it, the bulb started turning while the base was screwed into the socket...the light still turns on...so what i need to do is first seperate the bulb from the base and then get the metal part out, is that right? my next question, is there any possibility of the bulb shattering or blowing up? "high pressure" tends to worry me :smiley_joint: do i just unscrew the bulb until the glass seperates from the base?? thanks again for the help! peace. j

J

jdubz206

anyone out there to answer that last question? i would really appreciate it, i need to get this light setup this weekend and need to know if i should just buy another socket or if there is a safe way to remove the bulb from the base and then i can use a potato or needle nose pliers to get the metal base out of the socket...please let me know. thanks in advance! peace. j

J

johnnyballbag

Premium Member
Supporter
Hey dubz, if it's still attached i'd say go to a well ventilated area and put on some gloves, latex work good as they provide good grip. And it should come out. Or try some big ass pliers if that don't work. In the future, don't tighten it so tight. ;)

I

I N Hail

High jdubz
If you don't fill comfy holding and turning the class part by hand(can shatter)
Take your hood outside if you can,Now take a old towel or 2 wrap around the bulb
now you can try to wiggle it off or take like a hammer with the towels still around the
bulb and break it then you should be able to get the rest out

Throw towels away!!

I N Hail

J

jdubz206

thanks johnny & INH...i'll definitely go outside and get the bulb out tomorrow. thanks for the tips!! peace. j

Z

ziggy1

Had the same thing happen ... the potato worked for me and as for the gas i guess it escaped and im still alive...no problems

J

jdubz206

yeah i just untwisted and untwisted and the glass caught the base again and actually unscrewed completely :smiley_joint: crisis diverted lol

N

NotMeYou

hahah potato trick does work!

So funny that other people use the potato to get the bulb out trick too.

You really do need some glass to grab onto though.

Also, the needlenose pliers can work but will warp the shape in my experience.

Better to seek the aid of a helper with a 2nd pair of needlenose pliers and at the same time from opposite sides try to remove it. Less risk that way imho. :)

Top Bottom