Bulbs blackened on one side. (Pictures)

• Thread starter SodaLicious
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Yellowjacket

Yellowjacket

Having worked with Mercury contained in glass for more than 20 years I have to tell you it will NOT pass thru glass. Now if the glass cracks you might get mercury vapors escaping and that's not good for you. But the amount of mercury contained in a lamp other than a Mercury Vapor lamp is miniscule. It may have been used in the manufacture of parts of the lamps internals and the mercury presense would be in the parts per million PPM or less range.
If mercury could pass thru glass how could we have had mercury in glass thermometers for so many years? Think about it.

YJ

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

is it possible it passes through the base? and thermometers dont get as hot atleast none ive seen. ive thought that much and i will get some academic or credible shit from the sunpulse guy.

SodaLicious

SodaLicious

Having worked with Mercury contained in glass for more than 20 years I have to tell you it will NOT pass thru glass. Now if the glass cracks you might get mercury vapors escaping and that's not good for you. But the amount of mercury contained in a lamp other than a Mercury Vapor lamp is miniscule. It may have been used in the manufacture of parts of the lamps internals and the mercury presense would be in the parts per million PPM or less range.
If mercury could pass thru glass how could we have had mercury in glass thermometers for so many years? Think about it.

YJ

Exactly my point!! Even if there was mecury escaping from the bulb, how much is actually contained in the bulb? And the reaction inside the bulb in no way makes mercury. I just don't see it happenening at all. But am willing to read anything that someone might provide in respect to this subject. The black on the side of the bulb, is like a shadow... weird.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

the thing is that you are getting your info from a sales mano_O
No shit,jim is right if you call 100 different companies you will get 100 different opinions.Ive read sunpulses BS,my son tried one of the spinner light systems and weve tried their bulbs and i wasnt impressed at all.The one thing that i did like was there 10k lamps for finishing the last week or 10 days but i was only able to use them twice before i had to break down to build the new room.I agree with sunpulse about the bulbs needing to match the ballast but their bulbs arent the solution IMO,Now gavita on the other hand took the philips DE bulb and built a ballast around it so im really interested to hear more results from people using these.

ttystikk

ttystikk

my lumatek ballasts are awesome. they dont burn bulbs. get a refund for these bulbs.

Hey Hash, agreed on the ballasts vs. the bulbs.

The real reason I quoted your post, though, was to give you props on your Thomas Jefferson quote; can you email that to Fox News and the Republican Party? They seem to have forgotten this basic tenet of our democracy... maybe they weren't paying attention in class or something.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Exactly my point!! Even if there was mecury escaping from the bulb, how much is actually contained in the bulb? And the reaction inside the bulb in no way makes mercury. I just don't see it happenening at all. But am willing to read anything that someone might provide in respect to this subject. The black on the side of the bulb, is like a shadow... weird.

Guys, everyone is jumping on this kid because of a misplaced assumption; the Supulse rep didn't say the mercury was escaping from the glass envelope; he said it was escaping- slowly- from the inner arc tube, where there most certainly IS mercury, put there intentionally as an essential component of making the light work. The black on the INSIDE of the glass envelope is mercury- according to the rep- and that means the glass envelope is doing its job of protecting the outside environment from mercury poisoning.

I would get those bulbs replaced under warranty. If it keeps happening, switch brands to a bulb certified for high frequency digital ballasts. Hortilux made those bulbs to the ANSI S52 standard, part of which states that the AC frequency specification is only 60Hz, not the 20,000Hz most modern digital ballasts operate at.

squiggly

squiggly

I didn't read anything on that site about mercury being expelled out the bulb onto plants.

Can't comment as to whether or not this ACTUALLY happens. However I can say that its certainly possible.

While it might sound crazy, under the exact perfect circumstances, a single diatom of oxygen can pass through a cement wall.

Two things to remember:

1. Solids are actually made up mostly of empty space (both at the atomic level, and at the lattice structure level).

2. Gas phase molecules move very very very extremely quickly--and the hotter they get, the faster they move. So there is a higher chance that a molecule can hit the exact right area of "empty space" to slide through.

All that said, this notion makes sense theoretically--but in practice I'm not sure how legit this is. I can't imagine that it's just shitting out mercury or anything like that. However, its worth checking out for sure. Mercury definitely is VERY VERY BAD, so its worth taking the precaution.

My opinion: This could be true, but its likely on the atomic scale (1 diatom of mercury per 1,000 hours or something stupid like that).

SodaLicious

SodaLicious

I took the bulbs back to place of purchase. No refund or exchange, she says i'm SOL. WTF?? I hate my hydro store.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

If I was you I would cus out the people at your hydro store for not helping you out after you paid around $500 on fucking light bulbs and tell them your going to buy all your equipment from Ebay because everything cost less and they actually will return defective products. Well, the company I bought from on Ebay sent me a brand new 600w bulb because the one I bought had a little tiny broken piece of glass inside the bulb, but the bulb was intact so it must of happened during the manufactering process. I'm using the bulb now with no issues and I got a free backup bulb :)

I still can't believe you spent around $500 for those bulbs and the hydro store or the manufactuers won't help you out?!? IMHO If I was you I would never do business with either one of them again. Especially hortilux, there a million dollar company and there blaming it on lumatek instead of trying to help you out, which IMO lumatek makes great ballasts.

SodaLicious

SodaLicious

If I was you I would cus out the people at your hydro store for not helping you out after you paid around $500 on fucking light bulbs and tell them your going to buy all your equipment from Ebay because everything cost less and they actually will return defective products. Well, the company I bought from on Ebay sent me a brand new 600w bulb because the one I bought had a little tiny broken piece of glass inside the bulb, but the bulb was intact so it must of happened during the manufactering process. I'm using the bulb now with no issues and I got a free backup bulb :)

I still can't believe you spent around $500 for those bulbs and the hydro store or the manufactuers won't help you out?!? IMHO If I was you I would never do business with either one of them again. Especially hortilux, there a million dollar company and there blaming it on lumatek instead of trying to help you out, which IMO lumatek makes great ballasts.

I agree totally. I am never shopping there again. She had the nerve to say that people aren't loyal to her!!! LMFAO I said I've spent over 5000 in the last year at your store, and you are letting me hang like this?? I won't be shopping there again, and I WILL be ordering from the internet from now on! ARGGG It's frustrating.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

man they got those marked up...my thouies were 130 at a hydro shop:eek:

Thats exactly why I buy most of my equipment online or at Lowes, hydro stores are only good for getting ripped off or to buy soil because it cost too much in shipping costs. I'm talking about Fox Farm or Roots for indoors, but when I do big grows outdoors I buy cheap soil from Lowes and amend it myself.

tattoojim

tattoojim

Unknown farmer
Supporter
I did, and they said it was due to the fact that most companies making digi ballasts are making poor quality ballasts.
these are eye horts rite...if so im taking my brand new ones back and ordering ushios

Papa

Papa

Supporter
guys, look at the pics. the blackened glass is asymmetrical, it only occurs on one side of the lamp . . . . and it's always the side of the metal support of the inner envelope. the evidence is pointing right at the culprit.

typically, in common HPS lamps, the steel of this support is plated with nickel. i'm wondering if this detail is omitted by some manufacturers, causing the impurities in the steel to vaporize from the high temperature of the inner envelope and then solidify on the cooler glass.

tattoojim

tattoojim

Unknown farmer
Supporter
guys, look at the pics. the blackened glass is asymmetrical, it only occurs on one side of the lamp . . . . and it's always the side of the metal support of the inner envelope. the evidence is pointing right at the culprit.

typically, in common HPS lamps, the steel of this support is plated with nickel. i'm wondering if this detail is omitted by some manufacturers, causing the impurities in the steel to vaporize from the high temperature of the inner envelope and then solidify on the cooler glass.
every one of them o_O

Latest posts

Top Bottom