bunny guano

• Thread starter soserthc1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
soserthc1

soserthc1

Question as I clean my suburban farm up , we added a bunny which like every other pet in the home. I became his primary care taker after a month and his cuteness wore off , well I have been collecting his .... guano or poop (and seems that pretty much all he does) Is anyone using this ? Has anyone used it in the past ? pro's - con's or am I just jarring up a bunch of rabbit poop because us ganga gardeners do weird things like this and are always on the quest for better results.

Feel free to toss up a similar question here as I don't see to much of a thread about rabbit shit going real far but needed to ask my fellow farmers

happy friday

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
If you use small amounts only, then it won't burn while fresh (I do this with my chicken dooky). Otherwise, absolutely use it after it's been composted.

soserthc1

soserthc1

If you use small amounts only, then it won't burn while fresh (I do this with my chicken dooky). Otherwise, absolutely use it after it's been composted.
Do you add to soil or in a tea , I threw a few in my tea last week and no ill effects but i'm going light with everything from now on as I need to follow the less is best philosophy

ZONER

ZONER

Was always told by a family member that rabbit manure is probably one of the best, if not THE best manure. While I haven't had the pleasure or experience with the rabbit ....... Here is some info I saved.

THE BENEFITS AND USES OF RABBIT MANURE

Anyone who comes to the rabbitry and my homestead will see our many gardens. I have been asked many times what is your secret. You must use miracle grow they say. I just chuckle, thinking they just opened up a can of worms, and worms love rabbit manure! And now they are going to hear it! Now they get to discuss all about rabbits any there purpose on the homestead, the conversation will start about the many benefits and uses of rabbit manure, but more will come.

Rabbit manure is one of the best manures for your organic gardens! It will increase poor soil by improving soil structure and also improving the life cycle of the beneficial microorganisms in the soil. Rabbits are very good at producing an excellent source of manure. It is rich in many nutrients and very simple to use. One doe and her offspring will produce over one ton of manure in a year.

Rabbit manure is packed with nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, and many minerals, lots of micro-nutrients, plus many other beneficial trace elements such as calcium, magnesium, boron, zinc, manganese, sulfur, copper, and cobalt just to name a few.

N – P – K VALUES – Rabbit= N- 2.4 P- 1.4 K- .60, Chicken=N- 1.1 P-.80 K- .50, Sheep=N- .70 P- .30 K-.60, Horse=N- .70 P-.30 K- .60, Steer=N- .70 P-.30 K-.40, Dairy Cow=N- .25 P-.15 K-.25 As you can see by the nutrient values of farm manures and how they measure up and rabbit manure really shines! Rabbit manure also doesn’t smell as strong as other manures making it easy to use.

Nitrogen(N)- Rabbit manure is higher in nitrogen than sheep, goat, pig, chicken, cow or horse manure. Plants need nitrogen to produce a lush green growth. Nitrogen helps plants grow greener and stronger helping the plant reach its full potential. This is great for all those quick growing salad greens! Great for the early growth of tomatoes, corn, and many other vegetables.

Phosphorus(P)- Rabbit manure is also higher in phosphorus than the other manures. It helps with the transformation of solar energy to chemical energy. Which in turn helps with proper plant growth. Phosphorus also helps plants to withstand stress. Phosphorus in the soil encourages more and bigger blossoms helping with flowering and fruiting also great for root growth.

Potassium(K)- Potassium helps with fruit quality and reduction of disease plants will not grow without it. Plants use potassium as an enzyme to produce proteins and sugars.They also uses potassium to control water content.

More than just the awsome NPK values of rabbit manure it is loaded with a host of micro-nutrients as well as organic matter that improves soil structure, drainage, and moisture retention. Vegetable gardens, pastures, and flower gardens all will benefit from using rabbit manure. It helps retain soil moisture and soil structure.

Rabbit manure is one of the few fertilizers that will not burn your plants when added directly to the garden and can be safely used on food plants.

Grab a handful from under the hutch and use it as is, or work it into the topsoil. Rabbit manure at first glance many seem to be less powerful than commercial fertilizers but in reality they are better and healthier for your garden providing food and nourishment for your plants as well as earthworms and other beneficial animals and microorganisms in your soil. So why use chemical additives that are know to kill all soil life. Some manures have to be aged so they do not harm your garden, Bunny Berries can be used fresh as is. This is also a very organic way to add nutrients back to you soil.

HOW TO USE-

Use It As Is – “Bunny Berries” – Because rabbit manure is dry,odorless,and in pellet form makes it suitable for direct use in the garden. It can be applied any time of the year and helps give your plants a boost during the growing season or as a storehouse of nutrients when applied in the late fall and winter. Because it is considered a cold manure there is no threat of burning plants and roots. So use it as a top- dressing, mulch around plants, bury in the ground under transplants or just working it into the soil right from the rabbit. This is the easiest way to use your Super fertilizer! Grab a handful and add it to your garden today. The Berries are a time release capsule of goodness for your soil. This is the way i use it the most in my gardens, so the next time you find yourself knee deep in rabbit poop just add it to your garden!

Compost It – Composting rabbit manure is an easy process and the end result will be ideal fertilizer for gardens plants and crops. I only compost the rabbit manure/urine/shaving mix i get from my drop pans in the stack a hutch setup. Simply add to your compost bin or pile and add in equal amounts of dry straw or shaving to the manure (Unless like me you only compost the shaving/poop mix-the shaving have all ready been added plus the urine starts the heat up fast!) you can also mix in your usally composted materials grass clippings, leaves ,kitchen scraps. Mix with a pitchfork and keep the pile moist not saturated you may have to cover it with a tarp. It will take any were from a few months to a year depending on how often you turn it. I have heard some of my composting friends complaining that their compost pile will not heat up. The poop/urine/shaving mix is the best compost activator i have seen. Add it, turn it, and it will heat up! If you can get your hands on even a small bucket of this mix every now and then you and your compost pile will be in nitrogen heaven as far as composting rabbit manure goes rabbit manure is nitrogen on steroids it will get your pile hot and breaking down at accelerated rates .Those friends with the cold compost piles are usally here on cage cleaning day with buckets and shovels. Now if i could just figure out to have them do all the cleaning chores!

Manure Tea – “Bunny Brew” – Rabbit manure tea is the colored water that manure has been steeped in and is full of nutrients making a concentrated liquid organic garden fertilizer! The nutrients from the manure dissolve easily into the water were it can be added to sprayers or watering cans. To make the tea, put a heaping shovel full of rabbit manure in a burlap bag or porous cloth with the four corners tied together. Put the bag in a 5 gallon bucket and fill with water. Allow it to seep in the warm sunshine for a week. Remove the bag and suspend it above the bucket until it stops dripping. You can speed up the process by putting manure directly into the bucket with the water and let it sit for 3 days, stirring daily. Then put some burlap over the top of another empty bucket (making a strainer) and pour thru the cloth to strain out the solids. Suspend the solids in the makeshift strainer above the bucket until it stops dripping. In both processes the solids will not have released all their nutrients to the tea, and they will still be a beneficial soil amendment (put into the garden or compost pile). If you have many plants, you may want to use a big barrel by using the ratio of 1 part manure to 5 parts water. To use the Tea, dilute it until it is about the color of kitchen tea, which should be about one cup of the concentrated manure tea to a gallon of water. Use it to dip every new plant before you transplant them. Dip only the root ball, until bubbles stop coming to the surface (also do this to trees and shrubs before transplanting). Also wet furrows before planting, and fill holes with it before you plant trees or shrubs. Wait until it is all absorbed into the soil allowing all the nutrients to permeate the nearby soil of the plant you are planting. Making and using manure tea is a great way to give your garden crops the extra boost they need for optimal health and growth. Give once a week as a fertilizer and throw out your miracle grow! Experience will tell how often to use and how much. Now that you know how to make bunny brew, you can use it all the time to give your plants that extra boost

I have a habit of saving articles like this

Shamus

Shamus

never thought of rabbit manure, looks like it has a pretty bad ass NPK for a organic veg supp. in teas and compost

ok sorry ik this is kind off track but this got me thinking, ive read about people who manipulate/accentuate terpine profiles by adding them into the feed, im just wondering if terpines are fully digested or if there its possible for a terpine to make it thru a digestive system

would a rabbit eat an orange or something like lavender? i guess what will a rabbit eat, and does its poop have the possibility to affect the terpine profile of the plant

iCultivate

iCultivate

If the droppings are covered in piss, they might burn the roots fresh. Seeing as rabbits tend to have a "toilet spot" where they go do all their business, it's probably likely that they would be. Letting them dry off for a bit should do the trick, as of course will composting.

-- iCultivate --

Mogrow

Mogrow

rabbit manure is good shit.:woot:
let it sit for awhile, kinda decompose.
we use to get it by the pick up bed full. put it on our outdoor plots.
i bet worms would love it....

Medusa

Medusa

Trichome Engineer
Supporter
Ha ha ..good luck with the bunny ..have had several ...mine used to swim in the hot tub... u sure will have a whole lotta poop... non stop... is he in the house? They chew everything..electric cords. holes in furniture , curtains ..good at litter box training...if outside ,,make sure u clean every day or so... if in cage..

soserthc1

soserthc1

@ZONER awesome info exactly why i started this thread , hope you don't mind( as I kinda save info also ) me adding the info to my collection , appreciate the post

@Shamus - interesting thought as I sit here and eat a orange think I will start feeding the rabbit a few treats here and there .

@iCultivate - yes the rabbit tends to pee all over the place also but there is plenty of rabbit pellets to choose from only started collecting from 1 rabbit a few times and got a entire 2lbs worth .

@Medusa - I would never allow a poop machine to roam the house on his own , thou he has be allowed to roam the basement while i sit there but would rather collect his poop from the cage then all over the floor and i pretty much clean everything

appreciate the responses - off to feed the rabbit

Medusa

Medusa

Trichome Engineer
Supporter
If there litter box trained they don't poop in house or pee... only if they chew thru a electric cord still plugged in... thats where the saying shit scared outta ya came from LOL... Name of bunny ...? They swim with there two front legs and become really long cus they float ...pretty cute...

soserthc1

soserthc1

If there litter box trained they don't poop in house or pee... only if they chew thru a electric cord still plugged in... thats where the saying shit scared outta ya came from LOL... Name of bunny ...? They swim with there two front legs and become really long cus they float ...pretty cute...
um 2 cats and a dog are enough to be roaming he will stay in the cage and my wires will stay intact could very well wind up swimming in the pond this summer thou ...lol...and as sad as it is I really couldn't say the name of the bunny as it might be a security risk....

Intense

Intense

It's like a natural slow-release fertilizer! Sounds like a good excuse to get myself a pet bunny haha.

Latest posts

Top Bottom