Burn or deficiency? First timer

• Thread starter Lockeboxgrows
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Lockeboxgrows

Lockeboxgrows

First time grower here and I've run into something that's left me with questions.

My gsc clone has started to develop yellow or burnt tips over the last couple weeks
Burn or deficiency first timer

There is a few areas doing this but all are near the bottom of the plant so I've been thinking it's a nute burn and not a light burn because the top all looks healthy for the most part
Burn or deficiency first timer 2

But a few days ago I noticed a fan leaf near the bottom doing a weird sag I haven't seen before. Last night that leaf looked like this
Burn or deficiency first timer 3

She just entered the 5th week of flower and is potted in foxfarm Happy frog. I water about 17 oz distilled water every 3-4 days using sensi bloom a&b 4 ml/L every other watering.

Like I said I'm a first time grower so I'm at a loss, the tips are telling me nute burn but the yellowing is making me think deficiency any ideas?

Moshmen

Moshmen

First time grower here and I've run into something that's left me with questions.

My gsc clone has started to develop yellow or burnt tips over the last couple weeks View attachment 1238384

There is a few areas doing this but all are near the bottom of the plant so I've been thinking it's a nute burn and not a light burn because the top all looks healthy for the most part View attachment 1238385

But a few days ago I noticed a fan leaf near the bottom doing a weird sag I haven't seen before. Last night that leaf looked like this View attachment 1238386
She just entered the 5th week of flower and is potted in foxfarm Happy frog. I water about 17 oz distilled water every 3-4 days using sensi bloom a&b 4 ml/L every other watering.

Like I said I'm a first time grower so I'm at a loss, the tips are telling me nute burn but the yellowing is making me think deficiency any ideas?
How big of container- do you water to runoff ? Is that an auto? Doesn’t look like 5 week flower photoperiod- 5 weeks from sprout I totally believe - different needs

Lockeboxgrows

Lockeboxgrows

How big of container- do you water to runoff ? Is that an auto? Doesn’t look like 5 week flower photoperiod- 5 weeks from sprout I totally believe - different needs
The container is 9.4 inch pot so roughly 3 gallons I believe.

I water to about 15-25% runoff every watering

Its not an auto, it started as a clone I bought from a local dispensary (though I guess It could be an auto still but I dont think it is)

I switched the lights to 12/12 on 3/25 so I believe that puts me at 6 weeks now but it sure don't look it lol here's today
IMG 20220430 215336630
IMG 20220430 221121567

IMG 20220430 215336630
NorthernOrganics

NorthernOrganics

Definitely needs more intense light. You could put those shop lights within inches of the buds probably. How soon after getting the clone did you flip to flower?

Lockeboxgrows

Lockeboxgrows

first off you need the proper light spectrum..
if you feel like you’ll become a grower than buy high quality lights..
What would you say the proper spectrum is? I've been reading a bit and I found some info stating that white spectrum lights are really good because they have the reds and blues and such but also green spectrum which penetrates deeper into the canopy so I was hoping I would be alright with these. Am I wrong in thinking this or maybe misunderstanding?

Lockeboxgrows

Lockeboxgrows

Definitely needs more intense light. You could put those shop lights within inches of the buds probably. How soon after getting the clone did you flip to flower?
Dang I've had the lights atleast 16" from the top canopy the entire time, good to know haha

And I flipped it to flower 2 days after getting and transplanting the clone. Seems foolish to me now but I didn't have a light timer at the time and it worked the easiest for my work schedule

NorthernOrganics

NorthernOrganics

I'm betting the clone didn't have a super robust root system going before starting to flower. This, combined with low light levels, is why your buds are small and airy. As for the yellowing and tip burn, you aren't supplying the DLI to use nutrients at an optimal rate, but you are probably feeding them according to manufacturers' recommendations which are optimal numbers. Overfed and underlit, final answer.

Lockeboxgrows

Lockeboxgrows

I'm betting the clone didn't have a super robust root system going before starting to flower. This, combined with low light levels, is why your buds are small and airy. As for the yellowing and tip burn, you aren't supplying the DLI to use nutrients at an optimal rate, but you are probably feeding them according to manufacturers' recommendations which are optimal numbers. Overfed and underlit, final answer.
Awesome thank you for the info that actually clears a lot up for me. I was supplying nutes at the manufacturers' recommendations like you said but have recently reduced the amount and will continue to adjust it.

Due to my budget I'm sorta stuck with the light situation for now but atleast I know

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Awesome thank you for the info that actually clears a lot up for me. I was supplying nutes at the manufacturers' recommendations like you said but have recently reduced the amount and will continue to adjust it.

Due to my budget I'm sorta stuck with the light situation for now but atleast I know
yes that is mostly your issue especially not giving the clone time to adjust and grow roots before flipping., those fan leaves will probably continue to get worse so leave them all on until they are “useless”

Lockeboxgrows

Lockeboxgrows

I'm potentially looking in to getting a new light system for my future grows if I can swing it, if I were to install it now would it help these buds or is it probably too late at this point?

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
I'm potentially looking in to getting a new light system for my future grows if I can swing it, if I were to install it now would it help these buds or is it probably too late at this point?
mmmm, may help some, but just wait to use it next grow..

Habosabin

Habosabin

Dang I've had the lights atleast 16" from the top canopy the entire time, good to know haha

And I flipped it to flower 2 days after getting and transplanting the clone. Seems foolish to me now but I didn't have a light timer at the time and it worked the easiest for my work schedule
Download the Photone app and you can get a decent estimated DLI or ppfd of your light.

Lockeboxgrows

Lockeboxgrows

Well my phone apparently is a POS and doesn't want to work with that photone app, that would have been awesome.

It's not a crazy increase but would something like this work instead?
IMG 20220501 1717234842

It would take my wattage from 150 to 330 and introduce red/blue outside of just plain daylight white like I have currently

Latest posts

Top Bottom