Burnt hair and leaves pointing up.

• Thread starter BlueberryNewbie
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BlueberryNewbie

BlueberryNewbie

Hello!
I am having some questions being the first plant and i am not sure if i am doing everything correctly! Lately I am starting to see what look like flowers to me (or I’m not sure if it's a bunch of small leaves), I notice that even if they are very small, the hair grows brown immediately, but on the web I saw they should be long and bright white.
Moreover, today the leaves have started to point extremely upwards, I know that the leaves pointing upwards indicate a healthy plant, but this seems excessive to me. Is it going well or is there something wrong?

Burnt hair and leaves pointing up
Burnt hair and leaves pointing up 2
Burnt hair and leaves pointing up 3
Burnt hair and leaves pointing up 4
Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

Your light is too close. That would explain the burning on the top. Also sometimes the plant will lift the leaves upwards to angle its green pigments away from the direct light. Looks like classic case of sunburn to me. How close is your light and what type of light is it?

BlueberryNewbie

BlueberryNewbie

Your light is too close. That would explain the burning on the top. Also sometimes the plant will lift the leaves upwards to angle its green pigments away from the direct light. Looks like classic case of sunburn to me. How close is your light and what type of light is it?
Thanks for your help!
I moved the light a little higher and now the leaves are at 45º, which is good! I had done the heat test by putting my hand under light for a few seconds, but obviously I have some problems in feeling the heat🤣🤣 (which wasn't much anyway, I thought it was adequate)...
I didn't have much money to buy a professional light, however I have 4 lamps + 5 meters of led strip, the lamp above is a full spectrum 4000ºk (now at 11inch before 7), the others positioned around the plant at different heights (one of 2700ºk and the other two of 3000ºk) all 150w led light, the 5 meter strip is red specifically for flowering (660nm).
About the burnt hair I am still unsure because not only on the upper part they are like this, but also on the lower branches, even those furthest from the lamp, moreover already from the pre-flowering, small hairs came out on the main stem of the plant, but they were brown and apparently dry.
Now that i have moved the light i hope to see some white hairs as soon as possible!
In the photo it is still a very small flower, it is one of the lower branches, very far from the heat:

3FBE9359 5422 417C 9AD4 9D030EDC93D1
7692E0C1 6CF5 4319 9C26 9FB0FE54CC6D
Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

Thanks for your help!
I moved the light a little higher and now the leaves are at 45º, which is good! I had done the heat test by putting my hand under light for a few seconds, but obviously I have some problems in feeling the heat🤣🤣 (which wasn't much anyway, I thought it was adequate)...
I didn't have much money to buy a professional light, however I have 4 lamps + 5 meters of led strip, the lamp above is a full spectrum 4000ºk (now at 11inch before 7), the others positioned around the plant at different heights (one of 2700ºk and the other two of 3000ºk) all 150w led light, the 5 meter strip is red specifically for flowering (660nm).
About the burnt hair I am still unsure because not only on the upper part they are like this, but also on the lower branches, even those furthest from the lamp, moreover already from the pre-flowering, small hairs came out on the main stem of the plant, but they were brown and apparently dry.
Now that i have moved the light i hope to see some white hairs as soon as possible!
In the photo it is still a very small flower, it is one of the lower branches, very far from the heat:
Yeah, you can get a cheap light meter. They do have the apps that you can download on your phone but I have never tried that because I have always just used the handheld meter. This is the one I bought I feels like prices have really gone up the last few years...

https://www.amazon.com/URCERI-Illum...lux+meter&qid=1605718140&s=electronics&sr=1-4

61BOZGDKpVL AC SX679

This will help dial in the lux intensity at your canopy. Also I was thinking about the dry hairs 🤔 . That has happened to me multiple times over the years as a matter of fact it just happened to one of my plants a few weeks ago but it has since recovered. The drying/browning of the pistol hairs for me is almost always accompanied by really extreme weather. Obviously I am referring to outdoor. Either really strong winds or really dry weather will zap the hairs. A few weeks ago we had our first storm of the year and on my patio winds were gusting over 40mph. The winds lasted for over a day and it was really hard on my plants I had to batten down the hatches and tie everything up. I know you are growing indoor but just out of curiosity what is your humidity? Do you live in a really dry/arid location?

Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

Also one last thing I remembered. Have you put any spray on fertilizers/pesticides on your plant recently? I remember one time I was treating for mold and I think the ratios in my homemade mixture were off because it zap all the hairs brown. Could the brown hairs be due to liquid of some sort getting on the plant?

JSH1973

JSH1973

Supporter
I had a bit of those brown hairs on one of mine, it improved straight away after I transplanted it to a bigger pot, so I'm guessing it was struggling to take up water/nutes because it was totally rootbound

BlueberryNewbie

BlueberryNewbie

Also one last thing I remembered. Have you put any spray on fertilizers/pesticides on your plant recently? I remember one time I was treating for mold and I think the ratios in my homemade mixture were off because it zap all the hairs brown. Could the brown hairs be due to liquid of some sort getting on the plant?
Sorry for the late reply but I didn't have any free time! thanks, I already added it to cart :)
So... About 2 weeks ago I used to put the plant outdoor when the weather was good, when a little wind got up or the temperatures got too low I put it indoor, usually when the days were good I left the plant 9 hours outdoor and 3 hours indoor with the LEDs to complete the 12 hour cycle (the days here are short, so I moved the plant from outside to the balcony to behind the window), in the last few weeks it is often cloudy or windy, moreover many have advised me to use only the LEDs, so now it is always indoor, even if being near the window the only place I can keep it, when the weather is good it also takes a little of Sun. Taking an average, the minimum and maximum temperatures to which the plant has been subjected are between 18 and 23 (°C) and the humidity between 50% and 74%.
About the spray, I do not use pesticides and I grow bio (the only time I used it was long before the flowering stage, with a garlic infusion I made at home to keep insects away), but I used a flowering stimulator (Flower karma induction by Madame grow) 3 weeks ago, which I may have used in excessive quantities (but I'm not sure yet) not having a scale that weighs less than a gram, to avoid problems in the following days I sprayed the plant once with distilled water and I lightly dried the leaves with paper, the last time I used it was 6 days ago, drastically lowering the quantities so that the water was practically colorless.

BlueberryNewbie

BlueberryNewbie

I had a bit of those brown hairs on one of mine, it improved straight away after I transplanted it to a bigger pot, so I'm guessing it was struggling to take up water/nutes because it was totally rootbound
I would have liked to transplant the plant in a bigger pot because it is growing much more than I expected, but from what I know transplanting in the flowering stage causes a lot of stress... anyway, I give two liters a week, one liter on Tuesday and another liter on Saturday, always with small quantities of liquid fertilizer, but before watering I always check the soil, if it is dry after the first 3cm or comes off the edges of the pot, I water even earlier! (15 liter pot).

Top Bottom