Busted the glass on my hood. What probs could I have?

• Thread starter PDX420Grower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PDX420Grower

PDX420Grower

A buddy just gave me a 2x2 hood but we had it set up against the wall and it fell forward onto its glass and broke.:mad0233: What probs can I have using it? I already know I don't want water to hit the bulb. Anything else?

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

Depends on how your room is setup. Are your lights in a line with air cooled hoods? If so, you pull all the air threw that big hole and the lights behind it will get no cooling.

You can go to a glass store and have one cut for a few bucks.

For now, take some plastic wrap and double it up and put it on the hood. Ghetto but it will work untill you can get the glass.

SCARHOLE

SCARHOLE

Heat will crack normal glass In most hoods.
It did in mine.
And I used 1/4 in fire glass with wire in it.
Still cracked it.

You can get Pyrex 1/8 in sheet glass cut for it.
It's about the best for the buck.
But it blocks UVB, an I m using CMH just for UVB.

So this time I went with lexan plexiglass.
Lexan is very heat resistant. My 175w dosent even get it hot at 2 in away.
But a 1000w may melt it.

This phone sux to type with.
Lol
Shop around also some shops prices for glass were double of others
It will take the heat, no problem.
But it blocks UVB from

PDX420Grower

PDX420Grower

I'm only running 1 1000 atm. My buddy had an extra hood so he gave it to me and then it broke. The 1 I'm using isn't much smaller, so no big deal, but still.. Seems like a waste of time. My buddy said to use it til I get a piece of glass for it, or just say f*ck it and forget the glass. He said it'll put a lil more light on the plants but it'll be hotter. Idk. Thats why I'm askin.

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

Little confused on how you plan on setting it up.

Was your plan to air cool the hood with a inline fan or no fan?

If your plan was to not have a fan to make the hood "air cooled" then the glass would not matter either way. Actually if you had no fan and no glass, the hood would stay cooler.
If you put a fan on the hood, it will cool it down. If you do not have a inline fan, you can get one at home depot, I think they are called inline duct boosters. Cost like $20 for a 6" stick that on the hood and it will be cool under the light without the glass.
Not sure where in SE you are, but I am willing to come over and help you out if you ever need it. I am close to 82nd and Glisan.

cannabeans

cannabeans

just a quick note....

if you want to replace the glass, use will need to replace the glass with "tempered" glass. most glass stores will carry and cut the glass, but they usually have someone else treat it.

Toughened or tempered glass is a type of safety glass processed by controlled thermal or chemical treatments to increase its strength compared with normal glass. Tempering creates balanced internal stresses which cause the glass, when broken, to crumble into small granular chunks instead of splintering into jagged shards. The granular chunks are less likely to cause injury.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
if your not planning on air cooling the hood you should not use the glass anyhow

JayBee

JayBee

International Toker
Supporter
What if he is air-cooling but only the one light. If you remove the glass will the hood still work for cooling a 1000w? I been wondering about this myself as I don't use co2 so wonder if I could get more light and still keep things cool enough by removig the glass from my cool sun...

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

Little confused on how you plan on setting it up.

Was your plan to air cool the hood with a inline fan or no fan?

If your plan was to not have a fan to make the hood "air cooled" then the glass would not matter either way. Actually if you had no fan and no glass, the hood would stay cooler.
If you put a fan on the hood, it will cool it down. If you do not have a inline fan, you can get one at home depot, I think they are called inline duct boosters. Cost like $20 for a 6" stick that on the hood and it will be cool under the light without the glass.

Read this and you can find out.

Do people not read the post's in threads anymore before posting a question that is already answered? Lol

PDX420Grower

PDX420Grower

I'm just gonna use it without the glass and without a hood fan. (figured no real point) If I do decide to get glass, I think they sell it @ the hydro store pre-cut for like $20-40. My real concern was if the light will burn the tops easier or if the light needs to be a lil higher then normal but I've already raised it about 6 in. higher then the last hood. Either way, I think they should be alright. If not I'll make adjustments. Anybody got anything to add? Thanks all. -PDX

G

GrOwRooMGURU

HEAT LOL but outside of that glass blocks the uv rays on certain bulbs thats all

MrSmilehappy

MrSmilehappy

Well you always want to hang your lights first if anything. Secondly, if you're going to use a side mount, than again make sure you have it secure correctly. If you're in veg than one light won't kill you but you do want to monitor the temperature. Remember a bulb produces up to 115 degrees of heat so you want to keep that in mind.

Top Bottom