Butane extraction and recycle system

• Thread starter Graywolf
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Graywolf

Graywolf

I love the plans & product, but someone has to ask why you didn't buy a Tamisium? Sorry in advance lol

Because mine is faster and will do hard vacuum purges, while the tamasium won't.

How many of ya'll Tamasium users are averaging over a 20% yield of BHO Absolute from bud and 100% butane recovery in less than two hours?

I'm defining an Absolute as BHO oleoresin extract that has been winterized, to remove the waxes and lipids.

M

MTgrower

Because mine is faster and will do hard vacuum purges, while the tamasium won't.

How many of ya'll Tamasium users are averaging over a 20% yield of BHO Absolute from bud and 100% butane recovery in less than two hours?

I'm defining an Absolute as BHO oleoresin extract that has been winterized, to remove the waxes and lipids.

As someone who owns and has done many runs in my small Tamisium, I can tell you without question you have a better setup. The Tamisium is great, but it isn't in the same league as what you have there. I'm having a unit built from your plan!

I guess you could integrate a Tamisium into the design with some minor modifications, but if you have access to someone who can machine and weld stainless, why bother?

Again, I'm not bashing Tamisium in any way. I use mine all the time, but I'm building a setup exactly like the one in Graywolf's setup.

feslope

feslope

The Tamisium is perfect for doing hard vacuum purges. I added a brass nipple to a safety quick connect creating the perfect interface to a refrigeration manifold or direct to a vacuum pump with a charging hose.

High quality yield will depend a great deal on what you start with and how pure you want your output. Soaks and reversions may yield you a littlle more but, is it worth it? You can't put crap in and expect gold out, silver maybe.

Carefully following instructions I can recover about 95-97% of butane in a little over 2 hours with out using a costly refrigerent reclaim system.

The Tamisium systems have been well researched and tested, parts, service and advice are available. If your need is this size unit (TE-175 does 2 ozs) add it to your list of systems to evaluate..:fighting0085:

Manufacture of BHO is inherently a dangerous process. Do not cut corners on safety dictated by your available equipment. For most this means working outside away from any sources of heat or flame. Use appropriate caution for your methods. :mad0233:

Graywolf

Graywolf

The Tamisium is perfect for doing hard vacuum purges. I added a brass nipple to a safety quick connect creating the perfect interface to a refrigeration manifold or direct to a vacuum pump with a charging hose.

High quality yield will depend a great deal on what you start with and how pure you want your output. Soaks and reversions may yield you a littlle more but, is it worth it? You can't put crap in and expect gold out, silver maybe.

Carefully following instructions I can recover about 95-97% of butane in a little over 2 hours with out using a costly refrigerent reclaim system.

The Tamisium systems have been well researched and tested, parts, service and advice are available. If your need is this size unit (TE-175 does 2 ozs) add it to your list of systems to evaluate..:fighting0085:

Manufacture of BHO is inherently a dangerous process. Do not cut corners on safety dictated by your available equipment. For most this means working outside away from any sources of heat or flame. Use appropriate caution for your methods. :mad0233:

Soaks and flushing have definitely been worth it on this end. When I speak of yield, I am speaking of over 20% yield of an absolute, not just a raw oleoresin.

Our highest so far was 22.2% of refined absolute. Our best raw oleoresin yield using conventional columns was 21.6%, and still had all the waxes left in it.

While Tamisium has eliminated the costly ($800) refrigerant recycle pump, they still aren't cheap.

How much does one cost that will process 600 grams at a cycle, not counting the extra vacuum pump needed for a hard vacuum purge?

feslope

feslope

Soaks and flushing have definitely been worth it on this end. When I speak of yield, I am speaking of over 20% yield of an absolute, not just a raw oleoresin.

Our highest so far was 22.2% of refined absolute. Our best raw oleoresin yield using conventional columns was 21.6%, and still had all the waxes left in it.

While Tamisium has eliminated the costly ($800) refrigerant recycle pump, they still aren't cheap.

How much does one cost that will process 600 grams at a cycle, not counting the extra vacuum pump needed for a hard vacuum purge?
I don't know where you live but, Michigan has a 2 1/2 oz possession limit with no legal basis for processing or distributing larger amounts.

I agree with everything you have said. Not being able to use anything larger legally the Tamisium 175 is perfect for ME, your needs may be different.

My TE-175 All stainless system and vacuum pump cost me a little over $1300.00.

Graywolf

Graywolf

I don't know where you live but, Michigan has a 2 1/2 oz possession limit with no legal basis for processing or distributing larger amounts.

I agree with everything you have said. Not being able to use anything larger legally the Tamisium 175 is perfect for ME, your needs may be different.

My TE-175 All stainless system and vacuum pump cost me a little over $1300.00.

In Oregon, a patient can have up to 1 1/2 pounds of dried material, more if you also hold care giver cards for other patients.

I hear you about different needs! A number of the patients that we have provided for, have needs of a gram a day for treatment of things like cancer, Hep C, etc. A two ounce capacity would produce only about 12 grams, where the patient needs 60 grams minimum. It is easier and faster for us to make one under two hour run, than five two hour runs.

We also process a lot of donations at outdoor harvest time, for indigent patients. Much of it is trim or even fan leaves and sticks, which have only around a 5% yield. During outdoor harvest season, we have to process donations immediately, so that we don't accumulate more material than we can legally have on hand.

$1300 and change is a handsome price for the Tamisium and in the ball park of the $1500 it took to buy the pieces for my all stainless system.

I'm also thinking that I could build several 2 oz capacity extractors for $1.3K using the Tamisium principles.

E

einstoned

recovery device

Hey Graywolf- got to say I love your system. Sweet to say to least. As far as a whatever he calls it system I built one very similar out of used stuff and what not for $250 and can do 1000 grams a whack. And with a pump would be very similar to your device. I am looking for a cheap way to add a safe clean vacuum to my setup- any thoughts? I'm in orygun too- mid valley. Got to say high to a neighbor. Later.... Einstoned

E

einstoned

Hey Graywolf- also forgot to ask why you chose to use a long small tube versus a larger shorter container similar to the lower collector? I chose the latter method just for ease of handling. Do you see an advantage to the column you built? Einstoned

Graywolf

Graywolf

Hey Graywolf- also forgot to ask why you chose to use a long small tube versus a larger shorter container similar to the lower collector? I chose the latter method just for ease of handling. Do you see an advantage to the column you built? Einstoned

I chose the long skinny column because of the greater efficiency when flushing it throughly. The smallest volume of butane will sweep the greatest amount of material.

I found during testing that material at some locations remained sticky, while others were throughly depleted and dry and fluffy after extraction.

Using a thin column, they all are dry and fluffy afterwards.

H

hmusic

I'm buying all the parts needed and was wondering if the refrigerant recovery cylinder that you bought came with the dip tube or if you added it afterwards.

How many CFM is your Vac Pump?

What sizes/gauges are the hoses/fittings?

Do you leave the column open when recovering with the Appion G5? If not, why flood again if it's already flooded, because you cut it off as soon as it gets cold, and only recover what reached the paint pot? Just need it clarified a little.

Let me know GW! Your work is inspiring! Thank you for the template!

J

J.a.h.

Damn!

I think were drivin the prices for these pumps at the market.The prices keep goin up. Safety First if you're so inclined!

Graywolf

Graywolf

I'm buying all the parts needed and was wondering if the refrigerant recovery cylinder that you bought came with the dip tube or if you added it afterwards.

How many CFM is your Vac Pump?

What sizes/gauges are the hoses/fittings?

Do you leave the column open when recovering with the Appion G5? If not, why flood again if it's already flooded, because you cut it off as soon as it gets cold, and only recover what reached the paint pot? Just need it clarified a little.

Let me know GW! Your work is inspiring! Thank you for the template!

The refrigerant recovery tank, came with both valves and the dip tube! Pay close attention when you buy it, as the one I bought came with the color code of the valves in reverse. Red liquid and blue gas. Mine is from Taiwan and is reversed, but works well. Just requires that you keep track of the color code differences.

My vacuum pump is 6.2 cfm. My recovery pump is a two cylinder Appion, and CFM recovery varies with the product.

I use 1/4" for all of the hoses, except the recovery hose, which is 3/8" inch.

Yes I leave the valve between the column and the pot open during vacuum recovery.

I continue to flood and wash out the column, to overcome the boundary layers, which shut down or severely circumscribe the extraction rate as concentration falls. Once the material is partially dissolved, the solvent concentration is weakened and the concentration of the resins are diminished.

Until the last step, the butane flows in the bottom of the column and washes the dissolved cannabinoids out the top, to the collection pot. In the last step, the valve between the pot and the column is opened, allowing the column to wash backwards, so as to flush backwards.

We typically recover up to 22.2% oil by weight by repeated soak/flush cycles, with an average above 21%, using strains that previously averaged just under 18% with multiple runs. Our lowest recovery on actual bud, was on Catalyst, at 5.7%, but it is an extremely low oil producer, despite it's high CBD properties.

Have fun brother!

Dunge

Dunge

"I'm defining an Absolute as BHO oleoresin extract that has been winterized, to remove the waxes and lipids."

I am assuming that this is a post extraction purification. What is "absolute" oil like? Can it be used directly in food preparations?

Thanks for sharing this thread.

H

hmusic

Thanks for all the replies GW! I have a few final questions for you, if you don't mind. I really appreciate it!

What is the wall thickness/gauge of your stainless tube/pipe? Also, is it tube or pipe? Could tell me exactly what specific tube/pipe I need to look for? I found the flanges on scamazon.

What length heat cable do you recommend? I was thinking 9ft, but again, am open to your expertise.

Why are there in-line valves on almost every hose? Are they necessary?

How many holes needed to be drilled in the lid of the paint pot, to weld nipples/fittings?

From your pictures, I don't understand/see where the hose from the top of the column is, that goes to the paint pot. If I do, then how is the gauge hooked up? Could you please clarify? Also, what type of gauge is that. I am having trouble finding one with negative pressure.

Sorry for so many questions, but I'd rather be safe than sorry...in the pocket and in health ;) THANKS AGAIN!

P.S. I got this pricing for the columns with flanges already welded, but it seems too expensive.

1-1/2 sch 10 x 48" 304 SS W/ 300# SLIP ON FLANGE WELDED TO EACH END $300.00
1-1/2 sch 10 x 36" 304 SS SAME AS ABOVE $250.00
1-1/2 sch 10 x 24" 304 SS SAME AS ABOVE $235.00
1-1/2 sch 10 x 12' 304 SS SAME AS ABOVE $225.00

ADDITIONAL FLANGES WOULD BE $50.00 EACH
GASKET AND BOLT SETS WOULD BE $50.00 EACH
ANY ADDITIONAL FABRICATION WOULD EXTRA $$$$

Graywolf

Graywolf

"I'm defining an Absolute as BHO oleoresin extract that has been winterized, to remove the waxes and lipids."

I am assuming that this is a post extraction purification. What is "absolute" oil like? Can it be used directly in food preparations?

Thanks for sharing this thread.

An absolute is just smoother than an Oleoresin, and slightly more potent. I use both in food preparations.

Graywolf

Graywolf

Thanks for all the replies GW! I have a few final questions for you, if you don't mind. I really appreciate it!

What is the wall thickness/gauge of your stainless tube/pipe? Also, is it tube or pipe? Could tell me exactly what specific tube/pipe I need to look for? I found the flanges on scamazon.

What length heat cable do you recommend? I was thinking 9ft, but again, am open to your expertise.

Why are there in-line valves on almost every hose? Are they necessary?

How many holes needed to be drilled in the lid of the paint pot, to weld nipples/fittings?

From your pictures, I don't understand/see where the hose from the top of the column is, that goes to the paint pot. If I do, then how is the gauge hooked up? Could you please clarify? Also, what type of gauge is that. I am having trouble finding one with negative pressure.

Sorry for so many questions, but I'd rather be safe than sorry...in the pocket and in health ;) THANKS AGAIN!

P.S. I got this pricing for the columns with flanges already welded, but it seems too expensive.

1-1/2 sch 10 x 48" 304 SS W/ 300# SLIP ON FLANGE WELDED TO EACH END $300.00
1-1/2 sch 10 x 36" 304 SS SAME AS ABOVE $250.00
1-1/2 sch 10 x 24" 304 SS SAME AS ABOVE $235.00
1-1/2 sch 10 x 12' 304 SS SAME AS ABOVE $225.00

ADDITIONAL FLANGES WOULD BE $50.00 EACH
GASKET AND BOLT SETS WOULD BE $50.00 EACH
ANY ADDITIONAL FABRICATION WOULD EXTRA $$$$

I used Schedule 10 304SS pipe, because I already had eight and a half feet of it. Paramount Plumbing Supply quoted it at $6.20 per foot in 20 foot lengths.

Schedule 5 would be adequate but is harder to get locally and there is little price difference. The pot is the weak link in the system at a rating of only 80 psi and I have never seen more than about 30 psi on it.

I used ANSI 150# 316SS flanges. The slip on flanges were about $26 ea and the blank flanges about $21 ea at Paramount Plumbing Supply.

I used a 50' cable ($100) but have since found that simply setting the pot on a surface plate works even better. My next generation design will have a built in heating element under the pot.

There are two inline valves that make things easier. The one in the vapor return line to the storage tank, so as to be able to more easily bleed off non compressible gases occasionally, and in the vacuum pump line, which doubles as a can tapper line for loading butane out of 300ml cans instead of a bulk container.

In this design, there are three holes in the lid. In my new design, there are five and the Christmas tree of valves is eliminated on one of the ports.

There is a 1/4" stainless Swage Loc tube running from the top of the column, down to the collection pot at the bottom. The hose you see attached to the gauge, is attached at the Christmas tree on the pot lid.

I got my gauge at a local refrigeration supply shop, where they are standard equipment for handling refrigerants.

Your fabricated prices does sound expensive. Does that include the o-ring machining in two of the flanges?

I am looking at replacing the lower flange with an O-ring stainless union, which costs $132 each and would be faster, while still having a 3,000 psi rating.

H

hmusic

The pot is the weak link in the system at a rating of only 80 psi and I have never seen more than about 30 psi on it.

A surface plate works even better.

Does that include the o-ring machining in two of the flanges?

I am looking at replacing the lower flange with an O-ring stainless union, which costs $132 each and would be faster, while still having a 3,000 psi rating.

Thanks for answering so many mysteries GW!

Can you elaborate on "surface plate"?

Did you tap/thread the holes on the paint pot lid or are the fittings/nipples welded to it? Same question for the blind flanges.

Are you welding the swagelok valves to the paint pot lid and top blind flange? If not, how are you interfacing that swagelok tube?

Those prices did NOT include the machining of the groove for the o-ring. I've already deemed them to be a rip off, and found a place that has 20ft. pieces of schedule 40 stainless for $100. I found flanges with "RTJ" (ring tight joint aka/ ring face o-ring groove) already machined in at texasflange.com. Just waiting on some pricing from them.

Who makes the 3/8" black hose? The only one I can find is made by mastercool (part #94160), and is rated at 4000 burst. Will this suffice?

Can you link me to what an "o-ring stainless union" looks like?

Thanks again!

Top Bottom