Butane extraction and recycle system

• Thread starter Graywolf
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

hmusic

The "Turpenator"! I love to see the evolution of your device. What are the new upgrades and how can I make my machine similar? Like, what is that silver thermal sleeve looking thing on the column? What is the collection pot inside of? Please fill me in.

Graywolf

Graywolf

The "Turpenator"! I love to see the evolution of your device. What are the new upgrades and how can I make my machine similar? Like, what is that silver thermal sleeve looking thing on the column? What is the collection pot inside of? Please fill me in.

The column is wrapped with gutter heat tape and wrapped with aluminum duct tape. I turn it on, only when doing a final pump down cycle, to keep the column from freezing up from the evaporation under vacuum.

The pressure pot is sitting in a 1200W stainless commercial restaurant sized soup pot that I scored at Goodwill for $50. I forget the brand, but will look tomorrow and report back. With the collection pot in hot water, and the collection tank in in ice bath, the recovery goes much faster.

HighBurn8

HighBurn8

Hey there GW, great thread and very informative. I just wanted to share what I found the other day shopping around at a BigLots store. It's basically a Paper Tower Disenser/holder and is made of 100% stainless steel. Its about 13" long and about an inch thick and only cost about $12.00.
Peace..
3 25 002

3 25 001
3 25 004
3 25 006
Graywolf

Graywolf

Hey there GW, great thread and very informative. I just wanted to share what I found the other day shopping around at a BigLots store. It's basically a Paper Tower Disenser/holder and is made of 100% stainless steel. Its about 13" long and about an inch thick and only cost about $12.00.
Peace..View attachment 204650

Hee, hee, hee, cool! I love innovation!

Graywolf

Graywolf

Progress! Here is my second generation extractor. Behold the Mk II Terpenator ready for deliver to the leasee, sans controls and ancillaries.

The pneumatic operated valves arrived yesterday, so I picked up the rest of the piping parts and assembled her.

Next I will build the air solenoid valve manifold, which I am mounting remotely outside the ventilated extraction cabinet, that it is scheduled to go into.

The electronics are scheduled for smoke test this weekend, and then I have to package them and build the air solenoid valve manifold. The bread board logic worked for computer simulation, so now we see if they work hard wired and can carry the loads.

For any of ya'll building your own, you can find more information, and my growing parts list at:

http://skunkpharmresearch.com/projects/

Remember, that this can more easily be made in a manual unit, and will work as good as this automated unit, just requires more tending.

I also stumbled across what may be a slick and cheap way to build a small passive recovery system, and will report back more on that subject, when the parts I special ordered (8/10 wk from China) arrive and I put a prototype together. Hee, hee, hee, snicker, snark, snort...............ahwooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!1

Terpenator MK II assembled
Terpenator Mk II assembled 2 1
Jolly Mon

Jolly Mon

Anyone notice how unhealthy daily butane smokers look. It looks like vegans on crack. I wonder what long term effects are my experiance in short term are headaches, and less than desirable high.

Graywolf

Graywolf

Anyone notice how unhealthy daily butane smokers look. It looks like vegans on crack. I wonder what long term effects are my experiance in short term are headaches, and less than desirable high.

You poor dear! With your symptoms, I can only imagine what you may have been smoking.

Something you made yourself in the bathroom, or were you sandbagged with it by some nefarious scoundrel taking advantage of your gullibility? You wouldn't believe some of the stuff they pull on the sweet tender ingénue.

For what its worth, locally here we not only produce quality extractions that don't produce those symptoms, but we strongly recommend that you don't smoke anything. We suggest instead that you either ingest it sublingually, rub it on your skin, or vaporize it.

Not that I don't ever smoke bud or hash, because I really like the taste of prime bud or hash, but I just feel ashamed and dirty all over afterwards, without the headaches and all.

I swear that it does sometimes make the left cheek of my butt tingle though. Has BHO ever done that to you?

Graywolf

Graywolf

Not if its kept bright and shinny, but copper oxides cause fume fever when welded with inadequate respiratory protection.

E

EssBeeZee

Fricken amazing setup by the way!

Copper being cheaper is the only reason I ask. Are welds the only way to go?

Graywolf

Graywolf

How does the final product turn out? Waxy, oily, color?

We wash it out of the pot with ethanol and winterize it to produce an absolute. The viscosity depends on how we purge it and whether we also decarboxylate it.

The color is light amber in thin films and dark amber in thicker films.

Cycles 4  5
24 inch  Column extraction after purge
K

Kosmicsuture

So I ran across this thread when I was trying to decide how to make a butane reclamation system. I love the idea here and I am thinking about making something similar, but have some questions.

That almost looks like overkill as far the pressure. I know you always want to be safe, but butane goes liquid at about 53ish psi at room temperature, so unless you are heating it up, which seems like a bad idea, one could use cheaper materials. 2" pvc for example has an operational pressure limit that is conservatively 3-6 times that. Butane had a polar and hydrogen bond value outside the value of pvc solubility as well.

Since butane is liquid at just a few degrees below freezing, it seems that one could use either a salt/ice bath or dry ice to condense out the butane into an easy to recover liquid. Maybe some copper tubing to help conduct the heat better.

I'm thinking about putting together a rig like that. What do you think?

J

Jalisco Kid

Shame you did not have one on the shelf. But you learn as you go building one. Thanks,JK

D

dkb90

Looking for tips on transferring n butane using an appion g5. Only trouble is the n butane tank I've got does not have a liquid siphon. The person I purchased my extractor from advised me to attach a regulator to the tank. When I tried to transfer, it was going very slow and did not seem to be working properly. After trying for several minutes I was only able to top off my smaller tank with 200 grams of the n butane, and there seemed to be a lot left over in the lines. My filter drier was so cold I was fearing it was frozen and caused a blockage. I cannot find any info on transferring n butane without a liquid siphon, please help!

Latest posts

Top Bottom