Butte County marijuana cultivation ordinance adopted

• Thread starter DoobieDuck
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
DoobieDuck

DoobieDuck

Premium Member
Supporter
I'm not really sure what these Supervisors were thinking? Clearly not in favor of or even considering the medical marijuana patients and suffering in their county. Funny how stigma still exists in the minds of the brainwashed leaders in our rural counties. Yet the informed public nation-wide have jumped on-board seeing the medical studies, medical benefits and financial ones to society. "The measure prohibits outdoor marijuana gardens on lots smaller than 0.5 acre" -This might work for those who can afford 3 acres etc. but hardly a patient I know can do that. Best wishes my Butte friends..DD

Butte County marijuana cultivation ordinance adopted
Story here: http://www.chicoer.c...dinance-adopted

By ROGER H. AYLWORTH-Staff Writer
Posted: 02/27/2013 01:38:15 AM PST

The Butte County Board of Supervisors on Tuesday approved a marijuana cultivation ordinance that...

OROVILLE -- In Butte County, few phrases can ignite passion more quickly than the words "medical marijuana."
Tuesday proved that point when people on both sides of the issue found things not to like in the ordinance that was the Board of Supervisors' second try at regulating marijuana cultivation in the unincorporated areas of the county.
On a 4-1 vote that saw none of the supervisors particularly happy with the measure — and Chico Supervisor Larry Wahl staunchly opposed — an ordinance that goes into effect in 30 days was adopted.
. It allows up to 12 plants (six mature and six immature) on parcels larger than 0.5 acre but smaller than 1.5 acre. On parcels smaller than 3 acres, 36 plants (18 mature and 18 immature) are allowed. The total allowable number of plants tops out at 99 on property larger than 40 acres.
The gardens have set-back requirements that increase as the lots grow, and the plants have to be screened from view with fencing.
Marijuana grows are prohibited within 1,000 feet of schools and other locations frequented by children. The growers have to be able to prove they have been county residents for a year, and there has to be written proof the landowner is aware of the garden and approves of its existence.
Butte County Chief Administrative Officer Paul Hahn underscored the fact that enforcement of the ordinance, which is a land-use measure, is complaint-driven and the complaining party must live or work within 1,500 feet of the nearest property line to the offending garden.
Wahl said nothing about the proposed ordinance was acceptable.
He said the measure unreasonably limits who can complain about a marijuana garden, and does nothing to protect the environment from fertilizer or pesticide runoff that could escape the gardens.
Hahn said there are other county ordinances that address those sorts of problems.
Wahl charged the measure will aid commercial growers, encourage criminal activity, and put neighbors and others in jeopardy.
The supervisor said it will "destroy property values" and make land sales almost impossible.
Only the "purveyors of marijuana for profit" will benefit from passage of the measure, according to Wahl.
The supervisor also pointed out cultivation of marijuana for any purpose is a violation of federal law.
Hahn said nothing about this ordinance makes the cultivation of marijuana for sale legal. He said such operations are violations of both state and federal law.
County Clerk/Recorder Candace Grubbs, speaking as a private citizen, said the 99-plant gardens on large parcels are unreasonable.
"I can grow 99 plants on my own property. Isn't that keen?" said Grubbs. She said there is no legitimate medicinal reason for somebody to grow that many plants.
At the other end of the marijuana debate were people who said the ordinance hurt the "little guys."
While the ordinance prohibits outside grows on lots smaller than 0.5 acre, it permits indoor gardens in free-standing buildings of 120 square feet on lots anywhere in county jurisdiction.
Hahn said there is no limit put on the number of plants that can be grown in the shed-size buildings, and no building permits are required for the structures.
Other individuals didn't discuss the ordinance but either charged marijuana is a dangerous drug or a miracle herb that cures cancer and protects brain cells.
CHP Capt. Scott Gillingwater, commander of both the Chico and Oroville highway patrol offices, said, "Marijuana has serious harmful effects on the skills required to drive safely." He then listed three fatal crashes — two in 2010 and one in 2011 — where marijuana was one of the factors leading to the tragedy.
Supervisor Steve Lambert, who lives on a ranch west of Oroville, said, "I am not a big pro-pot guy. I'm not a pot guy."
He said the state government has left it up to the counties to make the cultivation of medical marijuana work. He said this really is a good-neighbor issue and if people just treated each other with respect, this would not even be a topic of discussion.
The ordinance requires that the board bring the measure back for review in one year and mandates a mechanism be established to solicit and chronicle citizen input.
"This is really a tough decision. It is not something we really want to do," said Supervisor Maureen Kirk of Chico.
Ultimately, Paradise Supervisor Doug Teeter moved for approval of the ordinance and Lambert seconded the motion. Wahl was the lone no vote.

oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
40 acres for 99 plants .............:stop:

squiggly

squiggly

40 acres for 99 plants .............:stop:
I think that's actually an intelligent control mechanic, though.

Even if it's blown out to a big scale, this is a smart idea for how to regulate supply.

I don't like it because I think we should be able to grow them out of our assholes if we want to--but to me this indicates that they're thinking about it at least.

P

paulycali

I like the locals only thing. Keep out the yuppies and those money hungry greedy bastards. Overall a great ordinance if you ask me. Seems to be a somewhat fair decision. Thanks for sharing

squiggly

squiggly

I like the locals only thing. Keep out the yuppies and those money hungry greedy bastards. Overall a great ordinance if you ask me. Seems to be a somewhat fair decision. Thanks for sharing
Yeah I thought fairness was definitely a key aspect here.

Everyone got a little of what they wanted. That is how government should be operated.

Over time the prevailing opinion among people will shift to one side or the other and the concessions will become greater and greater.

The answer can't be to dead-lock ourselves until one side gets everything it wants. That isn't going to happen on even a singular issue until the culture shifts significantly--talking at least a 30 year turnover rate for stuff like that.

They made a big to do about MJ when it first came into the government's targets--and honestly the public didn't start to give a crap till 20 years later, and it took a further 10 years before anything was done about it.

There was an ebb and flow in the policy during that time though--and that's why this makes me happy. Stuff like this, while mundane and overall not ideal from my perspective, is the stuff of change.

Realistic decisions made among men and women, with near equal respect given to both side's concerns.

420Gator

420Gator

CHP Capt. Scott Gillingwater, commander of both the Chico and Oroville highway patrol offices, said, "Marijuana has serious harmful effects on the skills required to drive safely." He then listed three fatal crashes — two in 2010 and one in 2011 — where marijuana was one of the factors leading to the tragedy.

OMG!!! 3 accidents over a 2 year period related to MJ, how horrible...I wonder if they had green toungues.. fkn d-bag

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

OMG!!! 3 accidents over a 2 year period related to MJ, how horrible...I wonder if they had green toungues.. fkn d-bag
The only reason hes talking about it gator is because one of those accidents was a highway patrolman,happened near us on I-15,The patrolman died.The guy who hit him had weed in his car and in his system but the real story was he hadnt slept in 24-36 hours and he simply fell asleep at the wheel pullin a vegas turnaround trip,marijuana probably had little to do with it.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Marijuana grows are prohibited within 1,000 feet of schools and other locations frequented by children.
^^ This right here? They're breaking state law if they try to enforce not allowing a private citizen to cultivate in a manner allowed specifically by state law.

So much can be said about this this whole thing, so much.

squiggly

squiggly

There might be a correlation between pot smoking and car accidents--but that's far from causation.

People should really learn how things work on a very basic level before opening their mouths.

How do you know cannabis was a contributing factor in those fatal deaths? Maybe they would have happened anyway had the person not smoked up. We don't know.

It's not an experiment we can run.

I've yet to find a study that shows people's cognition and motor skills are interrupted in a predictable fashion by MJ. There have been plenty of studies to suggest that some people have problems--but there have always been exceptions and the scores varied within an enormous range in most of those experiments.

When you compare that with alcohol, where it effects people the same way--every time--when normalized for weight and kept within a 95% confidence interval. You can draw some support for causation from that--but something tells me that a police chief and medical examiner frankly lack the experience in the requisite fields to make the determination that MJ toxicity was a contributing factor in a fatal car crash.

Was it a factor? Sure--but no one knows the level to which it played a role in the causation of a crash (unless there are survivors who witnessed the driver being very intoxicated).

Top Bottom