Buy a Grow Tent Kit or Build Fom Scratch

• Thread starter kolah
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

kolah

I been eyeballing some Grow Tent Kits on ebay. I am wondering if these are any good and are some companies better than others. Are these a good buy? Are the components of good quality?

OR...should I just build my own from scratch. If I go this route what are some of the names of the reliable top quality equipment (lights, quiet fans, etc.)

I'd like a small indoor grow approx 4 ft deep, 6 wide and 5 high. I'll grow in 5 gallon buckets with soil and handwater,

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

I've also been trying to decide if I should buy a grow tent or build my own. I know the tents on ebay are the least expensive and will cost less then making one, but I don't think the weight capabilities will be very high and the material itself might be less durable then an expensive tent like Secret Jardins.

Now you might save money if you build a tent instead of buying an expensive name brand one, but it might not be worth it considering the time you have to spend on labor and making sure there are no light leaks and you have vents in the right spot that have a drawstring and shit like that.

The good thing about building one is you can customize it to your exact specifications and make it more durable, even use reflectix as an insulator plus reflectivity, but it probably won't be as easily collapsible compared to a tent you buy, which will limit its mobility, if its a concern.

I would like to hear from growers who have built there own and used a pre-made tent to compare the pros and cons of actual experience. This should be a good thread.

manicgrower

manicgrower

Premium Member
Supporter
I would not buy the cheap piece of shit tents from ebay. Way more trouble than theyre worth.If your gonna get one, get a high end one. The cheap ones have light leaks everywhere, rip at the seams and are just a pain in the ass!

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

I would not buy the cheap piece of shit tents from ebay. Way more trouble than theyre worth.If your gonna get one, get a high end one. The cheap ones have light leaks everywhere, rip at the seams and are just a pain in the ass!

Are there any manufacturers you would recommend?? Are Sun Hut, Dark Room II Pro and Oasis good tent manufacturers?? I ask because there almost half the price of a Jardin or HydroHut, but there still about twice as expensive as the cheap tents on Ebay.

EDIT: I just seen that post above mine so I guess Sun Hut's suck balls. Scratch that from my question.

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
I have 2 hydrohuts. A 4x4 and a 4x6. LOVE them. Just keep in mind that according to hydrohut 4' is actually 55".

If you want to go high end look at Gorilla Tents and Jardin's Intense line. I'd imagine the major benefit you get out of the added cost is improved long term durability, and probably light tightness. Light tightness is a non issue for me as the light in the room that the tent is in never gets turned on. So, my tents could leak light and I wouldn't know or care.

Ill say it again. Make sure it has metal corners.

outwest

EDIT: a buddy uses growlabs and likes them. They have metal corners.

Darth Fader

Darth Fader

I have Secret Jardins and they're good, but in your position I would probably just frame something up since you want specific sizing. Better than compromising IMO. You can get those magnetic door screens that split in half for $15 at CVS/Target.

Then again, a real tent is pretty quick to set up & supports lights & fan/filter easily (mine is on top) but you'd have to take a size they make.

Classic Remix

Classic Remix

only ones worth ebay are the cheapo mom tents the 2x4x5.... like 90 bucks w free shipping.... as far as flower its always best to go quality.... a 4' t5 isnt going to bust anything down.... multiple hoods and lights, however.... better safe than sorry IMO

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
Since your dimensions are small enough to not need a function 6panel steel door or anything that large, I'd just build it with OSB or something cheap. Frame it out and just have half of it swing open on the 4' side and you can easily have square intake or exhaust holes or whatever versus a tent and if you aren't worried about quickly taking down a tent or doing it without noise, go homemade Box any day! Just make sure to paint the wood with killz flat white so that you don't ever have moisture issues with the wood and you can foliar than too with no worries.

It's cheaper to build it and you can use the rest of the money on equipment.

K

kolah

Lots of good advice, thanks all. I am leaning toward constructing my own box and with the money I'd save I could invest in good quality lights and equipment. I am still open to all ideas though.

It's dangerously cold and dark here in CO (no sunlight) so I have very little solar power to run my laptop. Be back later.

coloradochem

coloradochem

Knowing a lil bit bout your living situation. Id say build outta osb. Itll be way easier to insulate, and keep warm. These canvas tents dnt hold heat well at all. I know a kolah built cab will be slick as fuck

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
A 1k would work great in a 4x6 tent. Even 2 600's if you want better coverage.

Or 2 600s with an LEP squeezed in between, in a 4x6. I know a guy who runs that setup and kills it! ;)

outwest

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
really depends if you wanna try and grow nugs in every square inch of the 4' x 6' dimensions.
I'd leave a nice 6" perimeter between leaves and the interior walls and being that light isn't going to be wasted much due to the box versus open room...you could easily do a 600watt or go big with the 1kw but with only 5' height and 1'container height and 2 or more feet from bulb to plants and a foot for the reflector height....it's gonna get hot with a 1kw in there unless you go optimal exhaust system and keep cool air coming in. You'll prob have to go air cool i'm guessing with a 1kw but with a 600watt you could easily get away with less money into the exhaust system.

It really depends how much money you want to be out the first run, as you can always upgrade and if there is a use for the equip you've already bought then you'll golden :)

Top Bottom