Buying Equipment From Wrong Website, Can Land You IN Jail!

• Thread starter MediMary
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

MediMary

This is taken from a article here.
http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2009/03/invoice_from_firm_that_adverti.html

GRAND RAPIDS -- Longtime Press sports columnist David Mayo, accused of growing marijuana in his Northeast Side home, was targeted for investigation after police tracked shipping invoices of a company that advertises in "High Times" magazine, court records showed.
Armed with that information, police sought utility bills, which showed Mayo's electric use was more than twice that of his neighbors.
Police also put his home under surveillance and determined he did not bring his trash to the curb, which is common among marijuana growers, police said.
Investigators in early January also noted a "large amount of mold" under the eaves on the outside of his house, which suggested to them strong grow lights were being used inside the residence, heating the room where marijuana was being grown, and causing condensation on the exterior.
The allegations were contained in search-warrant affidavits made public this week.
Sheriff's Lt. Kevin Kelley confirmed police based the investigation on items shipped by companies that advertised in "High Times" and other pro-marijuana publications.
Courtesy Photo
Evidence: Authorities found Mason jars filled with marijuana buds inside David Mayo's house on Fuller Avenue NE in Plainfideld Township.
Mayo bought, "on 11 occasions, hydroponic growing equipment that is specialized in indoor marijuana growing," according to sheriff's Detective Sgt. Todd Butler, who said local authorities received information from the High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area Program, a project of the Office of National Drug Control Policy.
"Operation Green Thumb has access to shipping invoices from suppliers who advertise their indoor marijuana-growing equipment in magazines such as 'High Times.' David Mayo bought his hydroponic equipment from one of the suppliers that do, in fact, advertise in this (manner)."
Mayo's lawyer, Bruce Block, could not be reached for comment, but earlier said he was reviewing police information to determine whether he should challenge the reason officers had probable cause to enter Mayo's Fuller Avenue NE house Jan. 19.
Mayo is suspended from The Press pending the legal outcome. He awaits trial on charges of growing from 20 to 200 plants, which carries a maximum penalty of seven years in prison, and a high-court misdemeanor charge of maintaining a drug house. Prosecutors have offered to reduce charges to a four-year felony if he pleads guilty.
Police say 71 marijuana plants and 32 ounces of packaged marijuana were found in the home.
Mayo's wife, Denise, awaits trial on charges of marijuana possession and maintaining a drug house.
Both are free on personal recognizance bonds.
Mayo, with no prior criminal record, has worked for The Press since 1985.

E

ent

"Operation Green Thumb has access to shipping invoices from suppliers who advertise their indoor marijuana-growing equipment in magazines such as 'High Times.' David Mayo bought his hydroponic equipment from one of the suppliers that do, in fact, advertise in this (manner)."

WHOA?!

Mayo's wife, Denise, awaits trial on charges of marijuana possession and maintaining a drug house.
Mayo, with no prior criminal record, has worked for The Press since 1985.

Golf clap for the war on drugs...making me feel safer one arrest at a time. /s :big_boss:

convex

convex

Simple - DO NOT SUPPORT HIGH TIMES SPONSORS - maybe HT will get the hint and actually check out their advertisers first to protect their subscription base.

Edit: Better yet, an all out boycott to HT may get their attention and start to take thier readers security seriously. How can they keep any credibility after this?

M

MediMary

I used to order from hidhut, but they are always advertising in hightimes.. so I may switch ..
crazy story huh

C

CAPO

Tsss...probable cause...that's a joke.
MI is medical now, I suppose when he got arrested it wasn't?

M

MediMary

Im not sure, but he had more than the legal limit even if he was a medical patient

C

CAPO

I'm curious to figure out how the limits work in MI...does anybody have a good link?

M

mrdizzle

keep us updated on what happens with this, sounds like a bogus cause for a warrant, and highly random. Why this guy? 1,000's of people a day order from on-line stores.

R

R. Face

Shiiit this took place is Wyoming of all places, them Republicans over thers in Middleamerica hate REEFER. On a serious note, its not all that uncommon that places like that and other mid western/ middle american states are very radical about that kind of shit.

Here in CA this would never be a problem, "maintaining a drug house"...piss off. They just jumble up charges and try to make em stick, and damn a 4yr. 'deal' with the DA, id wipe my ass with that shit.

Those radical republican, git-r-done politicians and county seats out there want to fry those druggies, wait isnt it out there that they shot some guys dog during a 'drug posession' raid? In which they were in riot gear, and blew down the front door to a family home?

Damn..sure glad I dont fuck around out there...thank god for CA cannabis laws. No offence to those who are stuck with more corrupt LEO than we even see....

B

boroboro

From
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) - The wife of longtime Grand Rapids Press sports columnist has been sentenced in connection with growing marijuana in their home.

Denise Mayo pleaded guilty to running a drug house. She was sentenced Thursday and has to pay a $1,000 fine, as well as court costs, and will be on probation for two years.

Her husband, David Mayo, was sentenced to three years probation and fined $5,000 and ordered to perform 240 hours of community service. He, too, pleaded guilty to the same charge as his wife.

If I have the timeline straight here, the offense happened before the Medical law went into effect, sentencing after.

R

Radio_Dread

it is still bull shit but at least he is not in jail. probation for 3 years in nothing.....$5,000 fine would piss me off

T

TREEFARMER

Fuck That!!

My wife and I both have pending charges and I'll be damn if I would ever plead to a felony unless of course they had some hard evidence that I was dealing. State laws differ alot. I am assuming that he was not dealing but I don"t know. That felony shit is harsh. Fucks up your life. I hope my wife will walk completely. No involvement at all, don't even smoke.

Hard to justify 32 dried oz just lying around. Probably did collect some extra cash for vacations, etc. but still no proffit when you consider all the expenses for a small grow. 72 plants aint all that when you consider clones and vegs.

No jail is nice but I would trade at least 90 days for a misdemeanor instead of a felony, especially if at a decent jail. And, no I have never spent any time locked in a jail but I have inspected alot of them. Its not all that bad depending (GREATLY) on where on are charged. My county is state of the art with dormitory style quarters. Shit dem homies up in there playing xbox and watching tv.

Peace

ex treefarmer, for now:bandit

If you want weed to be legal vote LIBERTARIAN. No Shit!

lilhydro

lilhydro

Fuck up story hate to hear that this happen:character0029: now in cali Oakland is tryin to start taxing growers for real, and the state wonts to put some money down to start a electric co like pg&e. thing are starting to change and I dont know if its for the better:scared0016:

B

Bubby

whoa, cant go to the stores, cant order anything online, whats a cat to do? most places wont ship to poboxs?

C

CanadianClassic

wow that's lame ya HT needs to get their s&%t together.

Good luck with the ladies!!!

Top Bottom