Buying the correct fan speed controller.....

• Thread starter clockworx
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
aSilvrHaze

aSilvrHaze

all of the variable frequency drives I've seen have a 3 phase output, how do you use single phase equipment with them?

M

MasterKush42

Hello guys im new cultivator and also new in forum :)

I have one question about UFO speed controllers.

I have one prima klima 220/380 m3/h UFO/fan in small Gr40 40x40x120 sucking air out from roof and thru carbon filter.

The 220m3/h option is still pretty noisy @ my small home, so i bought King Product Speed Controller With Thermometer(manual Thermostatic limiter).

So i dont need the thermometer, because i can watch temps thru temperature-unit.

I mainly bought the Controller to limit its sucking strenght.

I adjusted the King Product Speed Controller (0%-100%)to wall-power and plugged the prima klima UFO to it. When im reducing the amount of sucked air, it keeps this strange peeping noise like (peeeep...) like small button being pressed in cellphone, like.

I think it causes some damage to the UFO, because its motor doesnt sound running as it supposed to be.

Thanks for your time, and please give me some advice what I could do?

Does it work in it...?

I can provide the link where i bought the controller. It was like 60 bucks.

johnbailey

johnbailey

Bought a cheap 20.00 dollar variable speed fan made by sun leaves and it burned up my $400 can fan 12 inch. Guy at the grow shop assured me it would work. When I brought the fan back and told him to replace it he refused. Thankfully can replaced it. Spend the extra money on the better controller.

gusthedog

gusthedog

What is best for a 10" Can Fan Max brushless motor? I don't really understand the brushless motor. Im just starti g to understand my digital ballasts...

EyeC

EyeC

Great thread. Some nice jewels of information for the novice and incompletely informed seasoned grower. No budget to get a variac or VFD yet, but those are certainly on the list to get. Good recommendations as fans burn out more often than people think.

Growin Grass

Growin Grass

What's up with vortex recommending rheostat controllers for their newer fans?
They say they've done something to the motor.
Would a variac still be recommended?

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
I use the merc 3 and 4 and i love em both but prolly like the 4 better.they do change fan speed based on room temps and setpoints.they can go from 25% speed and ramp up to 100% if needed.

I just received my mercury 4 in the mail recently. Seems like a nice unit.
I like the flexibility of controls.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Anyone have any experience with the phresh fans that come with a controller?
hyperfan6_701400_1_2.png

clockworx

clockworx

For those that are wondering why fans burn out with cheap controllers, it's like flipping the light switch 100 times in 30 seconds to dim a light bulb, it works but the bulb isn't made to take that kind of abuse. How long it will last is anyone's guess.

dorjewright

dorjewright

I want to run 2 fans; a hood exhaust and a intake with air filter. It would be nice to use 1 controller connected to a Cap temp control. But my guess is I'll need two controllers and two speed controllers - right?

J

jbaroni

my vortex inline did not like the cheap controller i bought for it. noise and vibration. no thank you. removed it right away. lesson learned

GreenFox

GreenFox

I want to run 2 fans; a hood exhaust and a intake with air filter. It would be nice to use 1 controller connected to a Cap temp control. But my guess is I'll need two controllers and two speed controllers - right?

Dorjewright, You can totally use one fan speed controller for both fans as long as you are ok with the fans always running at the same speed. Also make sure both fans together are not exceeding 75% of the speed controllers rated amps. I used the C.A.P. fan speed controller for years. I think the released a new version with an extended probe, but haven't used that one... Wish I had it. Looks like it now has an adjustable deadband. Might be time for an upgrade.
https://www.hydrofarm.com/p/CAVSC-DNE

Last edited:
AlaskanGrown

AlaskanGrown

I love my new Variac 500 VA and "kill-o-watt", great suggestions! Great info, thanks for sharing!!

Giants Fan

Giants Fan

This is a great post. It answers a lot of questions I've been researching. Thank you! Passing it along... ;);)

justiceman

justiceman

I always wondered why my fans would hum. It annoyed me greatly. This is an awesome thread.

jcom

jcom

Anyone have any experience with the phresh fans that come with a controller?
hyperfan6_701400_1_2.png
PHRESH Hyperfan with included, custom speed controller = The Bomb! Very quiet as well. I have several (as well as their filters which are smaller, lighter, and work much better than any of the other cans I've used). I will only use Phresh for the foreseeable future.

J

Justcuz

3F30FB78 E47C 4782 A237 9F6A61D97AC5

This works well for my setup, temp and/or humidity controllable.

CF89

CF89

Im using a $30 inline 6” Vivosun fan with a $20 vivosun fan speed controller off amazon (low and medium don’t seem to work. Only the range on high adjusts it).

seems like I’ll eventually have problems with this setup eh?

Top Bottom