Bx1? I have searched! Lol, need term help.

• Thread starter Kushtard
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

Kushtard

From what I can tell whoever answers this question will be making internet history. rofl. :muscle I have not been able to find this anywhere:bongsmi:

Allright, what is a bx. Or is it Bx or etc. etc. Do you get where I am going? Is the bx that I read of something to do with Aa or AA or aa? I have found what s1 is (selfing) and what bc is (backcross). But I have searched high and low for what the bx stands for. Nothing.

I have read alot of dictionaries and the breeders posts on this forum.

So I may be blind to this info, can anyone help me out. :smoke

sky high

sky high

yo CBF

too new here to send a PM (??) Never seen that one before anywhere else..but hey...such is life...

just sayin' hey....hope all is well.

sky/durga

K

Kushtard

thanks, it is emabarrasingly lame but after searching for a day I finished reading the not just the beginning of the "cubing. . . myth" thread but the entire dialogue and found that the bx is the official term while the bc is the layman term. Or is that the other way around? lol, I think I got that right tho. Cool beans.

CBF

CBF

Supporter
BC is the abbr used by those in the breeding world, BX is used on weed sites:D

Hola Skyhigh, good to see ya around. if your ever checkin out backcross breedin, you will see the BC designation.

CBF

sky high

sky high

LOL C...I wasn't talking about BC or BX1....i was talking about how hard it is to say "hey' to someone when yer new here and don't have 50 posts/don't have PM privileges. Never seen THAT before on any of the cannabis boards I've been on previously...that was what I meant. (no disrespect to THCFarmer, just a frustration of sorts I obviously must deal with)

we should do that CO contingent campin trip sometime....LOL (we did one last year but couldn't find ya to invite ya)

be well

s h

CBF

CBF

Supporter
hehe, what a dumb ass i am, lol.

lmk if ya do it again, last summer went south here.

CBF

K

koopa troopa

how hard have you searched? there are definitions scattered throughout tons of threads here. these terms should have their own section in the Growfaq's section. would be helpful.

CBF

CBF

Supporter
Backcrossing is a way of creating a seed line to perpetuate a clone-only individual plant with highly desirable characteristics. .

that is one example of a BC, which most growers associate with a BC. to the point most growers use as a definition.

a BC is just goin from one gen back to another, can be done with as many plants as you desire.

heres a very good explanation from chimera..........

Wow that is painful for me to read.... I must have been pretty stoned when I wrote that, now years ago. I'm glad at least that it's info that has spread a little knowledge and perspective into the community over the years.. I do however need to re-write it...

Here's a snipet on backcrossing from the breeding chapter I wrote for Jorge's most recent version of the bible.

Backcross Breeding –
A type of breeding that involves repeated crossing of progeny with one of the original parental genotypes; cannabis breeders most often cross progeny to the mother plant. This parent is known as the recurrent parent. The non-recurrent parent is called the donor parent. More widely, any time a generation is crossed to a previous generation, it is a form of backcross breeding. Backcross breeding has become one of the staple methods clandestine cannabis breeders use, mainly because it is a simple, rapid method when using greenhouses or grow
rooms, and requires only small populations. The principle goal of backcross breeding is to create a population of individuals derived mainly from the genetics of one single parent (the recurrent parent).

The donor parent is chosen based on a trait of interest that the recurrent parent lacks; the idea is to introgress this trait into the backcross population, such that the new population is comprised mainly of genetics from the recurrent parent, but also contains the genes responsible for the trait of interest from the donor parent.

The backcross method is a suitable scheme for adding new desirable traits to a mostly ideal, relatively true-breeding genotype. When embarking on a backcross breeding plan, the recurrent parent should be a highly acceptable or nearly ideal genotype (for example, an existing commercial cultivar or inbred line). The ideal traits considered for introgression into the new seed line should be simply inherited and easily scored for phenotype. The best donor parent must possess the desired trait, but should not be seriously deficient in other traits. Backcross line production is repeatable, if the same parents are used.

Backcross breeding is best used when adding simply inherited dominant traits that can easily be identified in the progeny of each generation (example 1). Recessive traits are more difficult to select for in backcross breeding, since their expression is masked by dominance in each backcross to the recurrent parent. An additional round of open pollination or sib-mating is needed after each backcross generation, to expose homozygous-recessive plants. Individuals showing the recessive condition are selected from F2 segregating generations and backcrossed to the recurrent parent (see example 2).

Example 1– Backcrossing: Incorporating a dominant trait

Step1– Recurrent Parent × Donor Parent
|
V
F1 Hybrid generation

Step 2 – Select desirable plants showing dominant trait, and hybridize selected plants to recurrent parent. The generation produced is denoted BC1 (some cannabis breeders break from botanical convention and denote this generation Bx1. BC1= Bx1).

Step 3 – Select plants from BC1 and hybridize with the recurrent parent; the resulting generation is denoted BC2.

Step 4 – Select plants from BC2 and hybridize with the recurrent parent; the resulting generation is denoted BC3.

Example 2 Backcrossing: Incorporating a recessive trait

Step1– Recurrent Parent × Donor Parent
|
V
F1 Hybrid generation

Step 2 – Select desirable plants, and create an F2 population via full sib-mating.

Step 3 – Select plants showing the desired recessive trait in the F2 generation, then hybridize selected F2-recessive plants to the recurrent parent. The generation produced is denoted BC1.

Step 3 – Select plants from BC1, and create a generation of F2 plants via sib-mating; the resulting generation can be denoted BC1F2

Step 4 – Select desirable BC1F2 plants showing the recessive condition, and hybridize with the recurrent parent; the resulting generation is denoted BC2.

Step 5 – Select plants from BC2, and create an F2 population via sib-mating; denote the resulting generation BC2F2.

Step 6 – Select plants showing the recessive condition from the BC2F2 generation, and hybridize to the recurrent parent; the resulting generation is denoted BC3.

Step 7 – Grow out BC3, select and sib-mate the most ideal candidates to create an F2 population, where plants showing the recessive condition are then selected and used as a basis for a new inbred, or open-pollinated seed line.

This new generation created from the F2 is a population that consists of, on average, ~93.7% of genes from the recurrent parent, and only ~6.3% of genes leftover from the donor parent. Most importantly, one should note that since only homozygous-recessives were chosen for mating in the BC3F2 generation, the entire resulting BC3F3 generation is homozygous for the recessive trait, and breeds true for this recessive trait. Our new population meets our breeding objective. It is a population derived mainly from the genetics of the recurrent parent, yet breeds true for our introgressed recessive trait.

Backcross derived lines are expected to be well-adapted to the environment in which they will be grown, which is another reason backcrossing is often used by cannabis breeders who operate indoors. Indoor grow rooms are easily replicated all over the world, so the grower is able to grow the plants in a similar environment in which they were bred. Progeny therefore need less extensive field-testing by the breeder across a wide range of environments.

If two or more characters are to be introgressed into a new seed line, these would usually be tracked in separate backcross programs, and the individual products would be combined in a final set of crosses after the new populations have been created by backcrossing.

The backcross scheme has specific drawbacks, however. When the recurrent parent is not very true-breeding, the resulting backcross generations segregate, and many of the traits deemed desirable to the line fail to be reproduced reliably. Another limitation of the backcross is that the “improved” variety differs only slightly from the recurrent parent (e.g., one trait). If multiple traits are to be introgressed into the new population, other techniques such as inbreeding or recurrent selection may be more rewarding.

Hope that's a little more clear......
Respectfully,
-Chimera

B

bicycle racer

alphakroniks simple explanation and chimeras more precise detailed method are both correct. im backcrossing purple urkel and various ogs currently. time consuming but worth it in the long run. having top tier clones in male/female seed form is priceless.

Top Bottom