CA fires and the unwelcomed SMOKE.

• Thread starter aaxiii
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
aaxiii

aaxiii

My state is on fire because someone needed to inform friends and family the sex of their baby with a pyrotechnics show during a heat wave in the CA mountains. They must have thought balloons or a blue cake was bad for the environment. Phone calls work too and you don't get flu.

My growing partner who is affectionately named the SUN is straight up blocked from this damn smoke. I am not getting any direct sunlight. The kind that turns my girls on and makes them puff out their chests.They are in a critical point of flowering (the photos) the autos seem fine. I have never had this problem before and I am wondering if it is affecting them and worried about penetration. Sunny is the forecast but Smokey says otherwise. Poor Cali and many have died. 26 as of today.

Just from experience they look "off". We do not have much overcast weather here so a day here and there never makes a difference when it is overcast. If it rains which is also rare I put them in a clear greenhouse tent. But this has been everyday since this fire, or fires, have started and it is 2% contained. I am wondering if I need to do something or just ride it out. It would be difficult to set up a light out there because the outlet is quite far and that side of the house is able to seen from the neighbors upstairs patio.

Any ideas?? Green Crack (Dudley) and WW (Agnes and Wilma). They miss their sunny buddy. Is the smoke bad for them? I also wanted to ask about that too...Any thoughts?

Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
Sounds like some vigilante justice is needed so this doesn’t happen again.

Dan789

Dan789

My state is on fire because someone needed to inform friends and family the sex of their baby with a pyrotechnics show during a heat wave in the CA mountains. They must have thought balloons or a blue cake was bad for the environment. Phone calls work too and you don't get flu.

My growing partner who is affectionately named the SUN is straight up blocked from this damn smoke. I am not getting any direct sunlight. The kind that turns my girls on and makes them puff out their chests.They are in a critical point of flowering (the photos) the autos seem fine. I have never had this problem before and I am wondering if it is affecting them and worried about penetration. Sunny is the forecast but Smokey says otherwise. Poor Cali and many have died. 26 as of today.

Just from experience they look "off". We do not have much overcast weather here so a day here and there never makes a difference when it is overcast. If it rains which is also rare I put them in a clear greenhouse tent. But this has been everyday since this fire, or fires, have started and it is 2% contained. I am wondering if I need to do something or just ride it out. It would be difficult to set up a light out there because the outlet is quite far and that side of the house is able to seen from the neighbors upstairs patio.

Any ideas?? Green Crack (Dudley) and WW (Agnes and Wilma). They miss their sunny buddy. Is the smoke bad for them? I also wanted to ask about that too...Any thoughts?
Don’t know what to say other than it’s horrible, and you’ll along with all the other outdoor growers will have to ride this smoke out. I’m indoors only, in Northern California and smoke is the only thing we’re getting also, so your not alone. I haven’t been outside much because of it and when out, always wearing a respirator too help keep the smoke out of my lungs. Good luck protect your health, and hope your plants aren’t too affected...

aaxiii

aaxiii

Don’t know what to say other than it’s horrible, and you’ll along with all the other outdoor growers will have to ride this smoke out. I’m indoors only, in Northern California and smoke is the only thing we’re getting also, so your not alone. I haven’t been outside much because of it and when out, always wearing a respirator too help keep the smoke out of my lungs. Good luck protect your health, and hope your plants aren’t too affected...

Omg you are up in some seriously bad air quality and my AZ Cardinals might not get beat SF tomorrow because of that. I think the air quality was 192 last I checked up there. Grrrrr you think people would learn that you can't even light a candle outside in CA during a heat wave. Good luck to you and protect yourself as well. Face masks have taken on a whole new meaning. Maybe people who think it is a hoax will wear them for the smoke.

Wonder if things will have a hickory taste in the end. ;)

caliOF

caliOF

I feel your pain. It has been horrible. My plant only gets 4 hours of direct sunlight a day, and the quality of that light has to be reduced. My plant is all covered in ash. If there's a solution to preserve my plant, I would love some advice. In the big scheme, I can't imagine what it would be like to be a professional grower in the fire-stricken areas, no matter where in the State. Mendo, Lake, Sonoma, Yolo, Nevada, and Yuba counties are full of small family grow ops and I'm hearing a bunch have lost everything. Very sad. Oregon is getting hammered, too. Be safe everyone.

Habosabin

Habosabin

Omg you are up in some seriously bad air quality and my AZ Cardinals might not get beat SF tomorrow because of that. I think the air quality was 192 last I checked up there. Grrrrr you think people would learn that you can't even light a candle outside in CA during a heat wave. Good luck to you and protect yourself as well. Face masks have taken on a whole new meaning. Maybe people who think it is a hoax will wear them for the smoke.

Wonder if things will have a hickory taste in the end. ;)
Are you having to blow ash off your plant everyday like I am. Today the light is a little better. Good luck.

middleagedude

middleagedude

We’ve been inundated with both fires and smoke in the emerald triangle. I’ve been worried about the lack of light. Today was the brightest day since Tuesday. It’s been super dim. My plants are in a greenhouse, but a couple plants did get a fair amount of ash on them through the front. I’ve been shaking them off daily.

BudBogart

BudBogart

Hi. We grow in the Sierra s. It seems we grow under these conditions more years than not.
Personally, the smoke screen reduced expected temps from 105 to 85 f., a better temp for trichome development, according to some.
The smoke has never tainted the smell of buds, so that shouldn’t be an issue.
About all we can deal with is ash, it covers our cars and everything else.
Ash and water make lye!
if you hose off the plants make certain to use lots of water to dilute any lye residue. Same with the soil.
Better to wash the plants off than let dew start wetting the plants and evaporating on the plants.
All of this just my opinion, no data to support any of it.
But my bud smokes well, lol.

the rrock

the rrock

I just hosed off what was left of mine, I have 2-1/2 plants left of about 70, i lost 18 of 20 outdoors and everything inside.
Was evacuated from Big Basin area aug 18,got back sept 10 and still no power. y Most of the old growth redwoods will survive theyve been thru fires before, Big Basin state park is a mess,will be closed for at least a year,the only reason our house stans we are in the middle of Boulder Creek golf course so we had wet grass surrounding us although houses burned less than 100 yards from us.

SinCity

SinCity

Our state is on fire not just because of stupid people. We are greatly assisted by climate change and 100 years of suppressing fire in western forests-- forests that co-evolved with fire. Hence the super thick bark on western softwoods and seeds in cones that require fire to open. Interior, dry forests (as opposed to the temperate rainforests along the coast) have for millennia burned annually, from lightning strikes as well as from controlled ground fires Native peoples used (and are starting to be 'allowed' to again) to manage the risk of deadly fires and to encourage the growth of certain plants and an open understory that allows game to walk through the forest.

Sorry, I get carried away.

They'll survive the diminished light from the smoke, as well as the smoke itself and the ash. IMO, ash and diminished light outside is better than a tent that is potentially too hot and has too little air flow (as well as the diminished light).

SinCity

SinCity

I just hosed off what was left of mine, I have 2-1/2 plants left of about 70, i lost 18 of 20 outdoors and everything inside.
Was evacuated from Big Basin area aug 18,got back sept 10 and still no power. y Most of the old growth redwoods will survive theyve been thru fires before, Big Basin state park is a mess,will be closed for at least a year,the only reason our house stans we are in the middle of Boulder Creek golf course so we had wet grass surrounding us although houses burned less than 100 yards from us.

i'm still surprised that santa cruz got hit so hard. i used to live in ben lomand.

Dan789

Dan789

Our state is on fire not just because of stupid people. We are greatly assisted by climate change and 100 years of suppressing fire in western forests-- forests that co-evolved with fire. Hence the super thick bark on western softwoods and seeds in cones that require fire to open. Interior, dry forests (as opposed to the temperate rainforests along the coast) have for millennia burned annually, from lightning strikes as well as from controlled ground fires Native peoples used (and are starting to be 'allowed' to again) to manage the risk of deadly fires and to encourage the growth of certain plants and an open understory that allows game to walk through the forest.

Sorry, I get carried away.

They'll survive the diminished light from the smoke, as well as the smoke itself and the ash. IMO, ash and diminished light outside is better than a tent that is potentially too hot and has too little air flow (as well as the diminished light).
Here's an article that I just located concerning what's happening regarding these fires...

Vaqueros Verde

Vaqueros Verde

I remember 40+ years ago visiting family in Oregon we were riding in the forest and I made the comment, must be nice to have all this fallen wood no need to buy firewood. My cousin laughed and informed me they couldn't take it due to state rules. He said if you want firewood you had to get permits and they had specific places you could go.
I was 18 at the time and remember thinking that's fucked up all this wood and you can't touch it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom