CA grow laws and limits questions....

• Thread starter TamyLove420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

TamyLove420

Ok so lets say you are drying your 6 or so pounds off your LEGAL GROW (in sacramento california the limit is 6 mature plants, about a pound off each plant) and for some god forsaken reason you end up getting handed a search warrant from law enforcement, the law here in sacramento specifically states you can posess 8 "PROCESSED" ounces....so what happenes when your whole 6 pounds is "PROCESSED"????

lets say this actually happened. chances are you would at the VERY LEAST end up having to defend your legal rights in front of a judge, and lets not forget, having to explain it to every possible employer that does a backround check, as an arrest does NOT get removed from your record even if the charges are dropped, or unfounded.

so finally, how would you defend yourself (legal rights) ON THE SPOT to prevent being detained??

sorry for all the hypetheticals, but im thinking this is not a uncommon situation.... so THANKS FOR ANY AND ALL IMPUT!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Ok so lets say you are drying your 6 or so pounds off your LEGAL GROW (in sacramento california the limit is 6 mature plants, about a pound off each plant)
No more limits upon med patients UNLESS your doctor has placed limits on you (bad doctor!) or you've gone ahead and participated in the state ID system. If you've got the card (ID) then you are voluntarily limiting yourself to those numbers.
and for some god forsaken reason you end up getting handed a search warrant from law enforcement, the law here in sacramento specifically states you can posess 8 "PROCESSED" ounces....so what happenes when your whole 6 pounds is "PROCESSED"????
Bad warrant, no such thing as numbers anymore. Are they trying to take your weed?
lets say this actually happened. chances are you would at the VERY LEAST end up having to defend your legal rights in front of a judge, and lets not forget, having to explain it to every possible employer that does a backround check, as an arrest does NOT get removed from your record even if the charges are dropped, or unfounded.
I've had to go through a few background checks and the only potential employer who's found anything on me (my ONE arrest ever) was the Department of Corrections, cuz that's how they roll. An arrest does not a conviction make, ya dig?
so finally, how would you defend yourself (legal rights) ON THE SPOT to prevent being detained??
Hand them my attorney's business card and tell them nothing's happening until he gets there. If they have a warrant, though, ain't much you can really do about it right then and there.
sorry for all the hypetheticals, but im thinking this is not a uncommon situation.... so THANKS FOR ANY AND ALL IMPUT!
I did a thread on how LE in California determines maturity and have consulted with an attorney. Go read that thread.

Sactown is known for its unscrupulous LEOs.
http://www.kubby.com/000120Search-unwarranted.html

S

spiderman

so the arrest record is permanent whereas convictions can be expunged/sealed? seems odd to me.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Seems odd to me, too. I don't have a record, just one arrest decades ago. Social services found it and the California DoC found it. The telephone company and a few retailers I worked for never found it, and with one of the retail jobs I was being bonded for a management/money-handling position.

Either way, that has nothing to do with the other issue of whether or not any municipality in California is trying to enforce any type of limitor on patients based on SB420. The long and short of it is they can't, neither can they enforce county-voted ordinances that limit patients. They can, and do, outlaw dispensaries, co-operatives and collectives.

F

Farmer Jon

Premium Member
Supporter
Limits on PLANT numbers have been deemed null and void (a patient may posses enough plants/plant material to cover medical needs)....However the way I understand the law in this particular area is that in order for for the medical needs argument to hold up in a jury trial (when in possession of more than 6/12 or 8 oz.) a record of needs and use must be kept for each patient. i.e I ingest 4 grams of hashish a day and it takes 4 oz of plant material to make the 4 grams of hash a day (for example only, not a recipe). Lets say I am in possession of 40 oz of processed material (i'm allowed 8 oz on hand) but I have been keeping a record of cannabis use over a three month period of time and can show/prove that the 40 oz will only be enough plant material to provide me with 10 days of medicine.
Good record keeping is a must and proof of medical necessity is the ONLY defense in a jury trial.

It is doubtful that the DOJ, DEA have the time to harass patients ATTEMPTING to follow the law, its the gardens that are clearly profit driven that typically catch there eye.

An arrest record doesn't mean shit, but a conviction on your record can be a burden to say the least.

(If I am mistaken or have interpreted the law wrong please inform me)
Stay safe, Happy growing!
FJ

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
the state limits are null and void - but I thought if you lived in a place that had set limits then those are legit

420 was put in place in part to make counties recognize 215

F

Farmer Jon

Premium Member
Supporter
the state limits are null and void - but I thought if you lived in a place that had set limits then those are legit

Only if you have a state card from my understanding.
Obtaining a state card is an agreement with the state, agreeing you will obey all local rules and regulations. (i.e 6bloom/or12veg AND 8OZ. processed materials) or whatever local laws allow for.

FJ

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
my understanding of the state card is your voluntarily agreeing to the limits set by 420 in which case you would need a drs rec for higher numbers

throwing out 420 does not throw out the guidelines set by the cities/counties where you live - those were likely put inplace before 420

I

irie

pretty sure the CA supreme court ruled last year it was not right for counties to put limits on plants/patient and it should be based on consumption

That said, take it with a grain of salt. It's a gray area I'd say.

Papa

Papa

Supporter
here is a link to state laws regarding medical marijuana:

the people v. kelly opinion is here:

the people v. kelly opinion struck down section 11362.77, which dealt with limits.

i am confused as to why several of you think that if you carry the state card, that limits apply.

i am also confused that some also think that local governments can set limits.

Papa

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Because, the court retained the state ID program, which, IIRC came about only as part of SB420, and the last time I read the decision and subsequent legal interpretations, that's what they said. If you avail yourself of the state ID card you are voluntarily limiting yourself. IIRC, that's about the only aspect of SB420 that the court allowed to stand, too.

Also, my attorney asked me about whether or not I had the card and I was unequivocal in telling him that I was already on plenty of lists and well known by the government, I wasn't going to add myself to another list. He then agreed wholeheartedly with that decision and, again IIRC said that another reason to not have the card was due to the voluntary limits should I deem to participate in that program.

The striking down of SB420 didn't really clear up much for us in California, it actually sort of muddied the waters because we voted in a constitutional law that wasn't very well written. It left a lot open to interpretation, and thus, confusion and setbacks.

Either way, being 215 compliant is nothing more than a defense. This assumes you are being put in the position of having to defend yourself, which ain't a good place to be.
Limits on PLANT numbers have been deemed null and void (a patient may posses enough plants/plant material to cover medical needs)....However the way I understand the law in this particular area is that in order for for the medical needs argument to hold up in a jury trial (when in possession of more than 6/12 or 8 oz.) a record of needs and use must be kept for each patient. i.e I ingest 4 grams of hashish a day and it takes 4 oz of plant material to make the 4 grams of hash a day (for example only, not a recipe). Lets say I am in possession of 40 oz of processed material (i'm allowed 8 oz on hand) but I have been keeping a record of cannabis use over a three month period of time and can show/prove that the 40 oz will only be enough plant material to provide me with 10 days of medicine.
Good record keeping is a must and proof of medical necessity is the ONLY defense in a jury trial.
That's a double-edged sword. How, exactly, do I quantify my use without WEIGHING it? I would need a scale. You see where that leaves me, yes? When I was visited by our local narcotics task force I told them I just smoke a LOT of weed, ALL DAY LONG (this is absolutely the truth, I'm up around 6am every day and I'm smoking by 7am). I was asked how many joints I smoke, I told them I have no idea, I use glass and I keep my bowl packed. I also told them I'm experimenting with making extracts to put on, instead of ingesting, and that requires a lot of bud/material.

What's really better is to not say anything to police, both in my and my attorney's opinions. Let the popo make the case, don't make it for them.
It is doubtful that the DOJ, DEA have the time to harass patients ATTEMPTING to follow the law, its the gardens that are clearly profit driven that typically catch there eye.

An arrest record doesn't mean shit, but a conviction on your record can be a burden to say the least.

(If I am mistaken or have interpreted the law wrong please inform me)
Stay safe, Happy growing!
FJ
I believe you are correct, an arrest means nothing. It's a conviction that sticks with you, like a dog shit on your shoe.

No, those limits no longer apply. The only limitors in California come from the following; obtaining a state ID card, by doing so you are voluntarily limiting yourself to 12/6 plants and, if I recall, 8oz finished product. This is according to the ruling by the circuit court of appeals on The People vs Kelly (sp? on Kelly). But if a county or city has said that patients can only have or grow so much, that is now nullified specifically by the court's ruling.

Only if you have a state card from my understanding.
Obtaining a state card is an agreement with the state, agreeing you will obey all local rules and regulations. (i.e 6bloom/or12veg AND 8OZ. processed materials) or whatever local laws allow for.

FJ
No, local laws can no longer place limitors on patients. That is outside the scope and intent of 215.

my understanding of the state card is your voluntarily agreeing to the limits set by 420 in which case you would need a drs rec for higher numbers

throwing out 420 does not throw out the guidelines set by the cities/counties where you live - those were likely put inplace before 420
Yes, it does throw them out. There is now no such thing as county limits on plant numbers or finished product. The only problem you have, and this is already a given seeing as how being 215 compliant is only a defense should you be brought to trial, is supporting those numbers and amounts.

DO NOT HAVE YOUR DOCTOR PLACE LIMITS ON YOUR CONSUMPTION OR DISCUSS QUANTITIES OF ANYTHING.
Only have him/her say that they recommend you use cannabis, that's it!

T

TamyLove420

Thank you everyone for all ur info....but I do need a little bit of clarification. First, What is the difference between a medical marijuana card and a state card?

And second, what is the IIRC?

Sorry. Im a newbie!

Papa

Papa

Supporter
TamyLove420, IIRC=if i remember correctly.

sm, i hadn't read the actual kelly opinion until yesterday, but it is clear that justices let stand all of sb420 except section 11362.77, which is the section addressing limits. it's in the last paragraph of the opinion.

so, if i read sections 11362.7-11362.83, omitting section 11362.77, it sets up the "identification card" system . . . issuing cards, what they contain, who administers, what rights it provides, etc., etc. . . . but in NO way does it address limits.

it says:
"No person or designated primary caregiver in possession of a
valid identification card shall be subject to arrest for possession,
transportation, delivery, or cultivation of medical marijuana in an
amount established pursuant to this article, unless there is
reasonable cause to believe that the information contained in the
card is false or falsified, the card has been obtained by means of
fraud, or the person is otherwise in violation of the provisions of
this article."

because of the severing of section 11362.77 addressing limits, you can strike through "in an amount established pursuant to this article."

and section 11362.78 refers to accepting the validity of this card:

"A state or local law enforcement agency or officer shall
not refuse to accept an identification card issued by the department
unless the state or local law enforcement agency or officer has
card is false or fraudulent, or the card is being used fraudulently."

i cannot find anything that makes "The only limitors in California come from the following; obtaining a state ID card, by doing so you are voluntarily limiting yourself to 12/6 plants and, if I recall, 8oz finished product. This is according to the ruling by the circuit court of appeals on The People vs Kelly (sp? on Kelly). But if a county or city has said that patients can only have or grow so much, that is now nullified specifically by the court's ruling" a valid statement.

so once again:
i am confused as to why several of you think that if you carry the state card, that limits apply.

i am also confused that some also think that local governments can set limits.

Papa

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
And yet my local attorney said that it is a limitor, as well as if your doctor's rec has placed limits. This is what puts us in such a confusing state. I know this much factually--I was able to support my numbers (plant counts) as well as amounts of finished product to my local LEO's satisfaction, and they've left me alone since. If you want to know what kinds of numbers I had, PM me, I won't discuss it here, but it got their attention, if you get my drift. Yes, I smoke a lot of weed.
T love, iirc, "If I Remember correctly" as for Q's 2, A rec is from your Dr, the State Card is from the Calif Dept fo Health. its 120.00 I think and you need a Dr Rec to take down there.
It's supposed to be issued by each county's health department or equivalent agency, and each can set their own prices for it. Outfits like Medi-Cann, I believe (but don't quote me, remember I don't have a card) will often issue you a card that I think qualifies as state ID or is entered into the state database, I do know it's a photo ID card. I know my county charges about $185 for an ID card, and that this is an issue they've never argued against complying with, unlike Marin, San Berdoo and San Diego counties did.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
medi-canns card has nothing to do with the state card system

and is technically not an ID - there is an 800 number and anonymus verification

some law enforcement will recognize it though just from sheer volume of people that have them

Papa

Papa

Supporter
much of sb420 has to do with the state card. in la county, it's $150/yr.

if you haven't read the H&S code having to do with medical marijuana and you haven't read people v. kelly, i highly suggest that you check out the links i provided above.

if you are in a situation where your attorney is telling you that there are limits set by law, i'd hand him/her copies of the two documents i linked to above and ask them to show me where.

re: the state card
although the rights relating to use, possession, and cultivation are provided to all who have a doctor's recommendation (whether or not they have a state id card), the most important aspect of the card for me is the section i quoted above:

"No person or designated primary caregiver in possession of a
valid identification card shall be subject to arrest for possession,
transportation, delivery, or cultivation of medical marijuana in an
amount established pursuant to this article, unless there is
card is false or falsified, the card has been obtained by means of
fraud, or the person is otherwise in violation of the provisions of
this article."

if you're transporting ten pounds of bud to your dispensary and you're pulled over and don't have a state id card . . . you're going in and you're going to have a hassle establishing your defense. if, on the other hand, you are carrying your state id card, you've got your defense clearly established from the get-go and you may or may not get arrested, depending on the leo.

J

JonDoe

not that it has anything in commen with orignal post.

i thought one of u guys said that more than 99 plants is fed case no matter what. manditorie minnimun of 4years. i purty sure its like dat.

Papa

Papa

Supporter
i thought one of u guys said that more than 99 plants is fed case no matter what. manditorie minnimun of 4years. i purty sure its like dat.

yes, that's federal. we're just talking state here.

F

FluffyBudz

DEA & CA Med Growers

I just got home from beautiful SD yesterday.. While visiting our friends, they had been informed from a friend in the DEA that they (the DEA) will be coming down on the states Legal growers in the next few months. Being a card holder, I guess they can acquire all the info on the growers that they need from those records.. Anyone else heard of this?? Old news? This was an incentive for me to finally make the move out west and get legit, but im bummed to hear federal and state laws are still very much in turmoil.. IMO busts such as these will only fuel the fire amongst Pro legalization activists.

Top Bottom