CA Supreme Court Hears Case On Medical Pot Limits

• Thread starter Zeldar
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Z

Zeldar

The California Supreme Court, at a special session in Berkeley on Tuesday, appeared likely to strike down a state law that sets an 8-ounce limit on the amount of medical marijuana a patient can possess at one time.

The court found itself in the unusual position of having a prosecutor and a defense attorney in a criminal case agree it would be unconstitutional to prosecute genuine patients for violating the limit.

Deputy California Attorney General Michael Johnsen told the court, "We are basically on the same path."

Johnsen, representing prosecutors, and Santa Clara University law professor Gerald Uelmen, representing a medical marijuana patient, both said the limit set by the Legislature in 2003 is an unconstitutional amendment of the state's voter-approved Compassionate Use Act of 1996.

Their only disagreement was in how the court should go about invalidating the limit procedurally and whether the panel should explicitly uphold another part of the 2003 law that sets up an identification card program.

The hearing on the appeal by Patrick Kelly of Los Angeles County of his marijuana possession conviction was part of an outreach session held by the court at the School of Law at the University of California at Berkeley.

Source:

O

ograskal

too bad it doesnt mention the ridiculous plant limits...~ogr

Z

Zeldar

I'm not positive, but I think that those limits will be tossed out as well in addition once this decision is made. :smiley_joint:

S

Socachi

Does anyone know where this all currently stands? Can purchase more than 12 plants at a time, can I have more than 6 mature 12 immature? What is the final decisoin on this?

T

Time

Does anyone know where this all currently stands? Can purchase more than 12 plants at a time, can I have more than 6 mature 12 immature? What is the final decisoin on this?

Your best bet is to call the police and your District Attorney and ask them their position on medical MJ.

The police and DA where I live have stated that they do not seek to arrest/prosecute medical patients that are within the specified limits (6 flowering or 12 veg).

S

Socachi

Your best bet is to call the police and your District Attorney and ask them their position on medical MJ.

The police and DA where I live have stated that they do not seek to arrest/prosecute medical patients that are within the specified limits (6 flowering or 12 veg).

The LA DA has a hard on for the collectives out here, wants to shut em down. A case he had got thrown out of court so now he's trying to get the LA City Council to enact harsher restrictions. The City Attorney is of the same mindset.

The guy is an ASS HOLE!!

S

Socachi

Thanks for the link Dazed; yes I've read that before unfortunately I don't live in any of those counties. And even though San Diego is on there the DA down there is trying to do the same thing as the one in LA.

So while the city council hashes out what they want to do (they put it off this next month) I'll just continue to keep a low profile. I'm hoping the state steps up to the plate and stops them from what they want to do with their limits. But I doubt that will happen. I hope this court decision sets a strong presidence and curtails the efforts of the LA DA.

If they want to regulate something why don't the go after the liqueur stores or bars or all the places that sell cigarettes. Oh wait they have a powerful lobby with millions of dollars to pay off politicians from doing that. I better stop before I get on a rant, oh to late lol.

The DA tries to convince people that the cartels aer the ones supplying the dispensaries after they use government land and water to grow on. Hell no one wants to smoke that Mexican crap they have, sure it's sold on the streets but not the dispensaries. At least not the ones I've dealt with and the others wouldn't because they couldn't compete.

We have people like Swerve, Raskal and others that are creating high breed, high quality product that gives patients like myself relief from what they suffer from. And yes there are others that just smoke to get high.

Z

Zeldar

Everybody, this was an oral hearing in which the Supreme Court's ruling will be handed down ("made official") via writing within 90 days of the hearing, which was on 11/3/09. Once this decision has been produced (by approx. 2/3/2010), it will effectively legally invalidate the 6/12 plant limit along with the 8 oz. dried medicine limit, per the, quote, "(Calfornia) constitutional prohibition against the legislature changing the provision of an initiative unless the initiative has expressly reserved that power for the legislature." (which is talking about SB 420, the unconstitional amendment which altered the provisions of the Compassionate Use Act of 1996.)

:party0033:

And also, this was all brought to the communities' attention by FreedomFGHTR over at IC, so of course MANY thanks go to him.

S

Socachi

Zeldar, do you really think they're going to remove those limits? I sure hope you're right

Z

Zeldar

I'm positive, especially now that I've watched the oral hearing in which this was discussed by supreme court judges, (the hearing from which that quote was taken from in my last post)

Video of the hearing, skip ahead to 2:23:58

This case has been ongoing and the legal eagles' in our community have been well aware apparently:

Court Strikes Down SB420 Limits - May 22, 2008

:party0023:

R

Rolln J

ok so heres the big BUTT!

I live in a county that did not recognize medical marijuana until sb420 - so if they strike down sb420 this will be a boon for the counties in cali that do not want mmj.

B

Budhog

ok so heres the big BUTT!

I live in a county that did not recognize medical marijuana until sb420 - so if they strike down sb420 this will be a boon for the counties in cali that do not want mmj.

How is that? Prop 215 is a statewide law. Your county cannot choose to ignore state law.

R

Rolln J

well they did, thats why sb 420 became into existence in the first place - like 13 counties refused to recognize prop 215...

so sb 420 mandated they had to and that you could at very least grow 6 mature plants.

S

Socachi

I'm positive, especially now that I've watched the oral hearing in which this was discussed by supreme court judges, (the hearing from which that quote was taken from in my last post)

Video of the hearing, skip ahead to 2:23:58
:

Zeldar the video is 3 hrs long. Do you know at what point they talk about MJ?

Z

Zeldar

Dude, Socachi...."Skip ahead to 2:23:58" ??

:winking0067::passingjoint:

lol

And Rolln J - what your county is doing is illegal! Los Angeles tried to to the same thing....look what happened(!):

Supreme Court action upholds California's medical pot law

*DISCLAIMER: I am not a lawyer, all of the proceeding would be, at best, truly described as a stoner educated guess*

I believe that all that is needed now for your county Rolln J, is for a case to go to court. Legally, what your county is doing is wrong, they have to observe prop. 215. All it would take is one competent attorney to point this out. Yes, it all comes down to politics once again...they figure none of "you potheads" are going to stand up for your right, so they simply choose to ignore state law in the hope that you will just listen and obey.

Rolln, haven't you said that you were from Plumas/Lassen/Shasta area? I have family up there...always wondered how the mountain people would react to MMJ....wasn't much of a surprise I guess. Good luck bro!

P

Pandaman

Rolln, haven't you said that you were from Plumas/Lassen/Shasta area? I have family up there...always wondered how the mountain people would react to MMJ....wasn't much of a surprise I guess. Good luck bro!

lol! Ya I was drivin' up north to go to Oregon and right around Mt. Shasta, you pass through a city named "Weed"! HAD to get a picture of myself standing next to the sign!

Ironic and funny as hell if that's one of the cities!

Peace

Top Bottom