Cabinet Turned Grow Room Round 2 - Construction To Chop

• Thread starter closetgrow69
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

closetgrow69

Hey all! Thanks for stopping by. Been lurking around here for a while, so decided to start a grow journal of my own!

So far there are 5 seedlings above ground in Roots Organic soil.
The strains are OG Kush, Kings Kush (x2), Jack Frost, and an unknown strain - all bagseeds.
I also just put a few more Kings Kush seeds in a paper towel to germinate.

The seeds are all 2-5 years old. They took 3-7 days to show a taproot, and a couple have weird leaf abnormalities on the first set. 5 out of 11 that showed a taproot made it above ground. But nonetheless, as they take hold they're taking off. The OG Kush grew a solid inch in 24 hours yesterday. The leaves weren't even touching the edge of the cup yet and now they are well beyond it.

The grow space is 2.75ft. wide X 1.33ft. deep X 2.33ft. high ---- 3.66sq. ft and 8.5 cu. ft.
33 in. wide X 16 in. deep X 28 in. high

I bought a cabinet from a thrift store and modified it to work.
I put 2 coats of primer and one coat of flat white paint on the inside. Before painting, I sealed all the gaps with caulk. After the paint, I put weather stripping around all the gaps and magnets to hold the doors shut. I had to screw pieces of 1x1 and trim to make a surface for the weather stripping to seal with. I just used small wood screws and finishing nail. I took out the drawers, and disassembled them. I used the bottom of the drawers to "re-mount" the doors to. The hardest part was keeping everything square.

There is a 120mm computer fan running on 12v drawing out the hot air, and a passive intake. I will buy 2 Noctua computer fans and install them in the next couple weeks. There is also a fan circulating air inside the cabinet.

I will be building a homemade carbon filter to mount to the outtake fans.

I will be running CFL's for this grow.
So far have 6 23w 1600 Lumen bulbs -- 4 6500k and 2 2700k.
So a total of 9600 lumens and 138 watts for the 6 seedlings.

I will bump it up to 250-300w for flowering using 70% 6500k and 30%2700k. Might go buy some bigger ~40w bulbs too.

Will probably veg them 3 weeks or so. I will be topping, and then LST'ing them like a bitch.

The plan is to run SubCool's SuperSoil in smaller pots (3-5 gallon) and top dress if necessary. The soil is currently "cooking" in the pictured 19gal. sterilite tote. Has been in there since 5/10.

I will transplant from solo cups to ~1 gallon pots filled with more Roots Organic Soil, and then into the final 3-5gal pot with 30-50% SuperSoil.

Let me know what you guys think! Feel free to point out any improvements I need to make!

Do you think they will need any nutrients in the 1 gal containers with Roots? Or will they have enough to get them to the final transplant? Might brew some EWC tea for them or something. Plan on brewing a tea for the final transplant watering.

IMG 8476
IMG 8594
IMG 8619
IMG 8628
IMG 8695
IMG 8696
IMG 8699
IMG 8701
IMG 8706
IMG 8715
IMG 8717
IMG 8722
IMG 8730
IMG 8732
IMG 8744
IMG 8745
IMG 8747
IMG 8750
IMG 8754
IMG 8756
Last edited:
C

closetgrow69

More pictures.

Main questions - will I need to feed the plants in the ~3-4 weeks they are vegging? Or will the Roots have enough in it to last? And if I do need to feed, what do you recommend? Some Tea? Something bottled?

Still have some light sealing work to do on the bottom chamber.

The nodes on the OG Kush are super close! Going to be hard to get in there to FIM her lol

And some love for some good homegrown from a buddy!

IMG 8608
IMG 8763
IMG 8761
Last edited:
C

closetgrow69

Here's an update - I'm actually a couple days behind on the updates. I'll post everything to get caught up.

Everything is coming along, except I have a weird issue with some leaves going on.

I've seen a couple bugs - one skinny crawling white bug in the soil. One flying bug I think was an aphid. And one other flying bug I was able to snap a picture of. I'll post it below.

What do you guys think the issue is? Over watering? I believe I was overwatering the ladies.... which brought up a root aphid issue or something. I think the problem going on is bug related, but I don't know much about these types of issues.

--- There is crazy leaf curling/hooking going on. I believe that was from over watering. The new growth looks good after letting it dry out.
--- I think the leaf spots and twisting is from a bug issue
--- The seeds are all 2-5 years old. So it just might be an issue with the old seeds. The bigger they get the better they seem to do.

So I did a foliar spray of neem oil with a drop of dawn dish soap added. Made sure to spray the undersides of the leaves nice, and also lightly wet the soil surface.

Should I jump to azamax? I'm trying to avoid it if possible. Have a 3 week neem plan to spray every 3rd day with a plain water foliar spray 36 hours after the neem foliar spray.

On a separate note - the Jack Frost is a pure mutant!! lol the leaves are just coming out wherever they want to. One set of leaves here, one there, one there, it's weird! Going to see how it turns out.

I also brewed up a 1 gallon batch of AACT to feed the two bigger plants when I transplant them into 1 gallon pots in 2 days. Used kelp meal at 2/3 strength, EWC, and molasses in the tea. I put on the lid shake the gallon jug at least a few times a day. Bought a cheap fish tank pump and air stone from the hydro store.

IMG 8768
IMG 8769
IMG 8770
IMG 8775
IMG 8776
IMG 8778
IMG 8779
IMG 8780
IMG 8785
IMG 8787

C

closetgrow69

A couple days later -

Transplanted the two bigger ones into 1 gallons, (OG Kush and King's Kush) and fed them tea upon transplant. Gave some tea to the seedlings that needed a watering and added some to my "cooking" supersoil batch.

I sprinkled some Mykos on the root mass and in the hole.

I also started using some mykos in the hole I drop freshly germinated seeds into. Works wonders! These old seeds sprout out of the ground noticeably quicker when using the mykos.

IMG 8803
IMG 8831
IMG 8832
IMG 8833
IMG 8834
IMG 8835
IMG 8836

Last edited:
C

closetgrow69

Here are the bugs I've seen. The only one I wasn't able to snap a picture of was some flying one lol
Any idea what these are? I also got some sticky traps. So far, just one little dude got caught

Sprayed all of the plants down with neem. Going to do a neem folar every 3 days with a plain water foliar in between.

IMG 8917
IMG 8918
IMG 8947
IMG 8961
IMG 8965
IMG 8966
IMG 8913

C

closetgrow69

More pictures from after the transplant. They seem to be doing very well!

IMG 8838
IMG 8840
IMG 8842
IMG 8843
IMG 8844
IMG 8846
IMG 8847
IMG 8848
IMG 8849
C

closetgrow69

FIM'ed the biggest two! They were loving the transplant so went ahead and FIM'ed the two biggest ones. They were both on the 5th node, despite their size differences.

They slowed down for 24-48 hours, but are coming back quick!!

IMG 8858
IMG 8859
IMG 8860
IMG 8861

C

closetgrow69

FIM'ed the biggest two! They were loving the transplant so went ahead and FIM'ed the two biggest ones. They were both on the 5th node, despite their size differences.

They slowed down for 24-48 hours, but are coming back quick!!

IMG 8858
IMG 8859
IMG 8860
IMG 8861

C

closetgrow69

They are loving the transplant and FIM'ing! They're taking off again.

Started to LST one of them. Will start LST'ing the other in a day or so.

The mutant Jack Frost still kickin' it! Lol it looks strange as hell.

Some more pictures! Can't wait until all the new tops come in!!

IMG 8874
IMG 8877
IMG 8878
IMG 8880
IMG 8887
IMG 8888
IMG 8890
IMG 8897
IMG 8919
IMG 8923
Mr Bee

Mr Bee

I wouldn't bother with the neem n stuff.its possible to kill plants with good intentions and the plants leaves don't look like they like the neem.i used neem years ago-not understanding doses and it burned the leaves to hell.lol.not used it since and that was like 10 years ago and at no point have I ever thought "damn!if I had just kept useing neem this wouldn't have happened.
I would just water em with some light feeds at first,let soil dry out between watering s and watch those babies grow!
I'm a closet grower myself and have been for over 10 years so if u need any help don't hesitate to ask

C

closetgrow69

I wouldn't bother with the neem n stuff.its possible to kill plants with good intentions and the plants leaves don't look like they like the neem.i used neem years ago-not understanding doses and it burned the leaves to hell.lol.not used it since and that was like 10 years ago and at no point have I ever thought "damn!if I had just kept useing neem this wouldn't have happened.
I would just water em with some light feeds at first,let soil dry out between watering s and watch those babies grow!
I'm a closet grower myself and have been for over 10 years so if u need any help don't hesitate to ask

Just gave them a light feed today with some Pure Blend Pro, Liquid Karma, and some Cal/Mag and Silica.
Good idea about holding off, I haven't seen any bugs recently with a 40x scope so I might be good to go.
Thanks for the reply! I have a couple more updates to post on here as well.

Mr Bee

Mr Bee

Sorry I didn't read your updates properly so I didn't know u had bugs although the ones in the pic look like leaf hoppers to me but I couldn't say for sure.
How big was the wormy thing in your soul?are there any small fruit fly size flys cutting about?could be fungus gnats as they have small maggot like larvae.lets hope that is what it is as fg can be easily dealt with with a dose of the proper nematodes-which can be found online or if your Uk send me a pm and I,ll give u details- and sticky yellow traps to catch the adults.the nematodes are pretty cheap aswell and they work really good on a variety of soil pests.in the past wen Iv had real bad infestations of fg to the extent my plants in veg were barely growing atall and looked like crap and flowering plants yielded really poor and looked like crap there is nothing more satisfying than a week or two after applying nematodes to such a disaster going into your grow room and seeing no bugs and the plants have put in some height and are looking more healthy than they have in a long time.

Mr Bee

Mr Bee

Just gave them a light feed today with some Pure Blend Pro, Liquid Karma, and some Cal/Mag and Silica.
Good idea about holding off, I haven't seen any bugs recently with a 40x scope so I might be good to go.
Thanks for the reply! I have a couple more updates to post on here as well.
There's deffo no need for cal/mag so early on.most plants don't show cal or mag defs it's usually og types that do show in my experience.

C

closetgrow69

There's deffo no need for cal/mag so early on.most plants don't show cal or mag defs it's usually og types that do show in my experience.

They are OG Kush and King's Kush, so that could explain it! I think it's a pH issue too. I just bought a Bluelab pH meter soooo hopefully that helps

SMACKA

SMACKA

A couple of those pics look like the roots are drowning. There's some clawing, and in some cases you see leaf tips hooking down, which I was told is a tell-tale sign.

Are you leaving your pots until they're bone dry? I found letting my plants go so long they wilt slightly, then dialling back a day and using that was a good way to learn the cycle for my various pot sizes. Over time you'll learn to recognize the texture/look of the plants the day before they wilt.

Looking good so far! I'm following along if you don't mind! :)

Reactions: Ina
C

closetgrow69

Thanks for the help! I wasn't letting them get dry enough. After reading your comment and doing more research, and then giving a couple waterings after the soil is completely dry, they seem to have been doing better. But now. it appears I've run into another issue. Any ideas what it is?

Here are some more pictures

IMG 9245
IMG 9247
IMG 9252
IMG 9255
IMG 9259
IMG 9264
IMG 9266
IMG 9268
IMG 9269
IMG 9270
C

closetgrow69

A couple of those pics look like the roots are drowning. There's some clawing, and in some cases you see leaf tips hooking down, which I was told is a tell-tale sign.

Are you leaving your pots until they're bone dry? I found letting my plants go so long they wilt slightly, then dialling back a day and using that was a good way to learn the cycle for my various pot sizes. Over time you'll learn to recognize the texture/look of the plants the day before they wilt.

Looking good so far! I'm following along if you don't mind! :)

Forgot to quote you in the above response. Thanks again for the help! I'm definitely learning the wet/dry cycle of the soil. I was way over-watering before, you were right!

SMACKA

SMACKA

Forgot to quote you in the above response. Thanks again for the help! I'm definitely learning the wet/dry cycle of the soil. I was way over-watering before, you were right!

No sweat! Glad you got it sorted out. We've all been there. I'm new to the game, too.

As for your current issue, perhaps your plants a are showing signs of nute burn now? What kind of soil are you using? It's likely still too early to be amending with nutrients, so if you might be overfeeding then perhaps give em a couple weeks of plain pH'd water. Also, what's your pH in and out?

Have you checked out any other images or "sickness scale" blog posts to help identify what it might be? If so, what did you find?

Reactions: Ina
C

closetgrow69

No sweat! Glad you got it sorted out. We've all been there. I'm new to the game, too.

As for your current issue, perhaps your plants a are showing signs of nute burn now? What kind of soil are you using? It's likely still too early to be amending with nutrients, so if you might be overfeeding then perhaps give em a couple weeks of plain pH'd water. Also, what's your pH in and out?

Have you checked out any other images or "sickness scale" blog posts to help identify what it might be? If so, what did you find?

They're in Roots Organic. How long do you wait before feeding? I've read most people wait 10-14 days or when the cotyledons start to yellow.

I just started ph'ing, but it goes in at 6.5 and comes out at 6.2.

I think it's a cal/mag deficiency accompanied by a pH issue. And slight nute burn.

Top Bottom