Cal Def or nute lock out help?

• Thread starter Frosty D Droman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

Frosty D Droman

Ive been using fox farm ocean forest mixed with 30% perlite and fox farm nutes for my plants and im having some kind of def problem or lock out. I give my veg plants 1 capful of grow big and they did great for about 2 or 3 weeks then the leaves started turning real fat and dark green then here came the brown spots now they have brown blotches and leaves are dark green and dry. My flowering plants are also messing up. They did great for 2 or 3 weeks then came the brown spots and lower leaves yellowing with brown spots and dying and some mid leaves are almost covered in brown spots. I was using 1 capful of tiger bloom and 1.5 capful of big bloom mixed togeather now some of those plants barely got leaves. I went and got some Cal Mag plus and have been adding 1 teaspoon to the veg mix and the new growth is growing fast and healthy and lighter green but the old affected growth is looking worse. I also add 1 teaspoon of cal mag to my flowering mix and the flowers are growing faster but the affected leaves are getting worse.
I don't think it's a fungus because my hempy bucket plants are doing great in the same room with know brown spots. I don't have pics
im also using tap water it's around 174ppm and I feed every watering and I don't know the ph of my solution because my pen is messing up at the moment.
Any suggestions?

F

Fred

Premium Member
Supporter
It sounds like too much fertilizer causing lock-up of mag. Ph is everything. With-out knowing what it is you can't really fix the problem. Your water could also be giving you troubles. So many thingsIi could guess. I think using ferts every time way too much for plants that are in OF. When I used it I would go a few waterings in between and still went easy on em. I used FF nutes too and when my plants were slightly deficient I never saw any spotting or blotching. In fact I felt like the plant was using all of it's energy to produce buds. Pulling nutes from older leaves eventually causing them to yellow and drop. This would come about week 5-6. It was like the plant was doing it's own plucking. I did get larger buds then when I made them stay green the whole time through. I have some in FFOF right now. Week 7 so it wont be long. I can put up a picture of what I am talking about if you like. :nod

Good luck

fred

S

SkyHi

I use FFOF as well, when I first put plants into the pots they don't get fed for around a month the ocean forest has enough nutes in it for atleast that long. The dark green sounds like Nitrogen toxicity an your ph could be to high as well causing lock outs and spots. I would flush your veg plants with plain ph'd water and clip off the older affected leaves and go from there. Flush your flowering plants with plain ph' d water and clip off the lower leaves that are affected and any other that look blotchy and unhealthy. I would also dilute your feedings to 1/2 1/4 strength. Hope that helps

F

Frosty D Droman

Thanks everyone for the quik reply. Yes Fred I would like to see those pics I guess ill go with the flush and cut back on the nutes. Should I ph my water to around 6.5 when I use plain water and nuted water or is there a better range? Skyhi I started feeding early in veg because they where turning lite green fast like they where hungry or do you think it may have been the ph problem? SCC my PH pen is out of comission at the moment getting a new one soon. Do you guys think I should stop using the calmag for now when I do feed? I do have a 5 stage RO Machine should I pull it out or just use the tap water?

F

Frosty D Droman

Damn, SCC my run off ph was around 4.0 and the plants that had not messed up yet was at 6.0 I had to go smoke to that.

S

SCC

Premium Member
Supporter
Thanks everyone for the quik reply. Yes Fred I would like to see those pics I guess ill go with the flush and cut back on the nutes. Should I ph my water to around 6.5 when I use plain water and nuted water or is there a better range? Skyhi I started feeding early in veg because they where turning lite green fast like they where hungry or do you think it may have been the ph problem? SCC my PH pen is out of comission at the moment getting a new one soon. Do you guys think I should stop using the calmag for now when I do feed? I do have a 5 stage RO Machine should I pull it out or just use the tap water?

Ok i've come across many people with so called nute deficiences, and most are from ph problems, not very often will i see any kind of nute problems with normal ph.

With that being said, and you telling me that your using r/o water, i see tons of people with nute problems with r/o water! R/O water is great and all, but it has no buffers and you will see ph swings all over the chart! IS there lime in the medium, lime will help buffer your medium and will make a huge difference in ph swings.

Grab a new ph meter check the run off, and also get a meter to check the ph of your medium, having your ph figured out should cure 90% of all nute problems!

F

Frosty D Droman

Im using tap water my ro machine is just sitting sitting in the box almost brand new still.
I was asking if I should start using it but you just confirmed the reason I put it back in the box in the 1st. place.

S

SkyHi

Agree ^^^ I always hear cal/mg def but usually it's ph. FFOF has crushed shells instead of lime but it's not that great at buffering.

Top Bottom