Cal def?

• Thread starter neewb432
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
neewb432

neewb432

Noticed this today on upper growth on 2 plants different strains. Looks like a Ca def to me. Been in veg for 54 days. 5gal coir. Feeding blue planet farmers pride about 700ppm every other feeding. Pure protein on the other feed. 5.8ph when feeding. 77 temp. 60rh
Cal def
Cal def 2

neewb432

neewb432

yeah its either call/mag or pH issues... you should test your runoff.... had that same problem a couple weeks ago. thought it was cal/mag so i treated with molasses and nothing so i tested the runoff and it was at a pH of 7.5
Thank you. I will

dieseldawg2480

dieseldawg2480

imo... after u check ur run off I would flush with quarter strength nutes.. until ur run off is at its desired level or equal to the nute strength ur flushing with... the cal mg or both may be locked due to high salt content in the medium..

neewb432

neewb432

Just checked my calibration on ph meter. Was .44 high. Crap. Ive been feeding 6.1 6.2 not 5.7 5.8. I feed every other to every third day with about 10% run off. I know coir is bad about locking up. I dumped my runoff all together from three plants. So i cant check that either. Man im batting 1000 today

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
No worries, this gal actually prefers something called the slurry method.

You take samples from all the pots, mix those up.
You add those to RO or distilled water, after you've measured its pH and EC parameters (you're more concerned that it's a 0EC than a particular pH here).
Mix in enough of the coir samples to create a slurry, then let sit for 7-10 minutes. I have not found that letting the samples sit longer changes the readings after 10minutes, it stays the same.

Now, measure the pH and EC. What you read there is an excellent picture of what's going on *in* the root zone, instead of what's coming out of the root zone. This, of course, is why it's important to get more than one sample and from more than one level or area of the media. I'll upend the pots and scrape some off the sides and bottom, and then I'll take a little chunk out of the middle. Again, be *sure* it's all well mixed together.

If you have some plants that are showing an issue and others aren't, then do this test separating the media by those that are performing well and those that aren't. If they're showing different issues, separate by issue.
Noticed this today on upper growth on 2 plants different strains. Looks like a Ca def to me. Been in veg for 54 days. 5gal coir. Feeding blue planet farmers pride about 700ppm every other feeding. Pure protein on the other feed. 5.8ph when feeding. 77 temp. 60rh
View attachment 441874 View attachment 441875
Good diagnosis, it's a Ca-, classic. You're gonna be playing a little catch-up here now. Got a Ca-only product to use here?

neewb432

neewb432

No worries, this gal actually prefers something called the slurry method.

You take samples from all the pots, mix those up.
You add those to RO or distilled water, after you've measured its pH and EC parameters (you're more concerned that it's a 0EC than a particular pH here).
Mix in enough of the coir samples to create a slurry, then let sit for 7-10 minutes. I have not found that letting the samples sit longer changes the readings after 10minutes, it stays the same.

Now, measure the pH and EC. What you read there is an excellent picture of what's going on *in* the root zone, instead of what's coming out of the root zone. This, of course, is why it's important to get more than one sample and from more than one level or area of the media. I'll upend the pots and scrape some off the sides and bottom, and then I'll take a little chunk out of the middle. Again, be *sure* it's all well mixed together.

If you have some plants that are showing an issue and others aren't, then do this test separating the media by those that are performing well and those that aren't. If they're showing different issues, separate by issue.

Good diagnosis, it's a Ca-, classic. You're gonna be playing a little catch-up here now. Got a Ca-only product to use here?
No but i have one on the way. As far as EC of the slurry. I want a 0??

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
No, you only want the water that you're using to make the slurry to be at 0EC. That said, if the slurry pegs out at, oh, say... 3,000EC, I'd say that's a wee bit on the high side and you might want to address it.

neewb432

neewb432

No, you only want the water that you're using to make the slurry to be at 0EC. That said, if the slurry pegs out at, oh, say... 3,000EC, I'd say that's a wee bit on the high side and you might want to address it.
Got it. Thank you :)

neewb432

neewb432

Sea i did a 15gal flush with 1/4 strength nutes. 150ml sledgehammer. 20 ml calimagic. 5.95 ph. 494 ppm. Tested the run off was 4.8 ph 540 ppm. Why is the ph so low. I tested it 4 times during flush. Verified my meter twice. Heeelllp!:nailbiting:

Last edited:
dieseldawg2480

dieseldawg2480

just curious. do u know what the run off was before the 15gal flush?

dieseldawg2480

dieseldawg2480

My guess would be the high ppm levels for a extended amount of time..I would keep feeding at half strength or less and adjust ur ph so ur getting a ph runoff more in the desired ph range. Or a slurry test?

neewb432

neewb432

My guess would be the high ppm levels for a extended amount of time..I would keep feeding at half strength or less and adjust ur ph so ur getting a ph runoff more in the desired ph range. Or a slurry test?
Thank you

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Sea i did a 15gal flush with 1/4 strength nutes. 150ml sledgehammer. 20 ml calimagic. 5.95 ph. 494 ppm. Tested the run off was 4.8 ph 540 ppm. Why is the ph so low. I tested it 4 times during flush. Verified my meter twice. Heeelllp!:nailbiting:
I don't know why, not in a way that I can discuss well and in a manner that would relay the information well to you. Reading run-off isn't how I'm able to solve problems, using the slurry method is how I solve problems. What were your readings using the slurry method?

neewb432

neewb432

I don't know why, not in a way that I can discuss well and in a manner that would relay the information well to you. Reading run-off isn't how I'm able to solve problems, using the slurry method is how I solve problems. What were your readings using the slurry method?
Wasnt commfy up ending so i dug down 4 or 5 inches in a few spots.

Diesel who has the major problem. Slurry 4.9 ph. 180 ppm

20140923 130313

Killa watt. Just a tad. 6.3 ph. 150 ppm

20140923 130327

Just did this 5 min ago. Sorry not before flush :banghead::bag:

Last edited:
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Alright, I'm not sure where on the plant I'm seeing this blotchiness and spotting, but some of it does resemble a Ca-. That low pH is a problem, but it's fairly easily reversed using something like dolomite lime or oyster shell (I use the flour type), or crab shell meal--basically almost any carbonate will work here.

Have you also inspected the undersides of the leaves with a scope or loupe of some sort, because some of the stippling I see resembles spider mite damage.

Close ups are good, but being able to see the whole plant is also helpful.

If adjusting the pH upward doesn't stop the progression of the Ca-, then you may need to add in more Ca. I'm going off just what I see, not what you've posted about your feeding (because I'm doing three things at once and can't split my brain like that and I'm running out of time! fuck! it's after 11am!). Good news is Ca can be foliared using just about any liquid fertilizer. Bad news is you won't reverse the spotting that you see, you can only stop it from progressing. That can make it a little tricky figuring out what's working well or not.

HTH!

neewb432

neewb432

Alright, I'm not sure where on the plant I'm seeing this blotchiness and spotting, but some of it does resemble a Ca-. That low pH is a problem, but it's fairly easily reversed using something like dolomite lime or oyster shell (I use the flour type), or crab shell meal--basically almost any carbonate will work here.

Have you also inspected the undersides of the leaves with a scope or loupe of some sort, because some of the stippling I see resembles spider mite damage.

Close ups are good, but being able to see the whole plant is also helpful.

If adjusting the pH upward doesn't stop the progression of the Ca-, then you may need to add in more Ca. I'm going off just what I see, not what you've posted about your feeding (because I'm doing three things at once and can't split my brain like that and I'm running out of time! fuck! it's after 11am!). Good news is Ca can be foliared using just about any liquid fertilizer. Bad news is you won't reverse the spotting that you see, you can only stop it from progressing. That can make it a little tricky figuring out what's working well or not.

HTH!
Thank you

TrichCrazy

TrichCrazy

I completely agree. In my opinion and from logical thinking testing the run off for PH is good but for salts its a false reading. I have had whole rooms of plants that the runoff was maxing out my pen when i collected the first bit of runoff. But when i did multiple slurry tests my pen was not even registering. The plants were hungry for food, i fed heavily and they all bounced right back in a couple days.

Doing runoff tests to try and determine my mediums salt levels has really slowed me down in the past. I would see those high run offs, flush heavily and watch the plants just get even worse and worse.

And to the original post question. Are you using a high grade coco mix?? As i am sure you already know if its a low grade non rinsed product it could be binding up your calcium??

Latest posts

Top Bottom