Cal/mag deficiency, or pH swings?

• Thread starter Fro5ty
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Fro5ty

Fro5ty

What is this? Cal/mag deficiency? pH swings? Burned edges and tips. Some tips curl. Some leafs have holes in them. Rust colored specks also formed, which would point to calmag deficiency. But I already added calmag when mixing the solution (125ml for 200L, half of recommended). The problem started on the oldest growth and moved up. Newest growth is not effected (yet). Plants are photoperiod and in an RDWC system. I had an accident and left the light on for 48h last week. I saw the first discoloration right after, which was right before I was going to change the water in the RDWC, so I thought that it wouldn’t get worse, but I was wrong.

The new water was at 5.7pH and 1.2EC. pH increased to 6.4 on the first day in the RDWC (normal). EC went down to 0.8 in 5 days. The water in my tank that feeds my RDWC to keep it at level is at 1.2EC and 4.5pH, that way I got my pH down to 6.1 in 5 days (it slowly feeds my system, so plants shouldn’t get pH swings normally).

Nutrients are The tripart flora series from GHE at 1:1:1 (roughly). I gave a little bit more bloom, and a little less grow. Because I also added calmag and that already has Nitrogen in it. Water is 75% RO, 25% tap (tap has 0.8EC).

Water temperature us steady at 20Celsius with chiller. Air temperature between 19C and 28C. Humidity between 35% and 65%. I started up the dehumidifier yesterday to keep it below 50% in the future, now floweribg has really kicked in.(day 16 of flower atm)

I hope I gave enough information for a good analysis of what the F this is. pH swings shouldn’t really be possible I think in the last 3-4 days. But the problem has gotten worse.
500F1BE5-B60B-4CB0-9810-6F63F26741F0.jpeg

F83439F1-16E6-4728-A45B-E9F7969A436E.jpeg
96ABB5F7-64BE-4390-BA71-405B59C5A1F7.jpeg
F1ADABA6-FC41-4BF2-9DCB-22CEAFEE3297.jpeg
205A7975-0D18-4398-BA9E-B445D66A6149.jpeg

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
Everything checks out, except, pests. Have you seen or scoped for any pests? Those holes and some other leaf damage would have me suspect. Good luck and happy grows.

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
After further examination, what are these white speaks on your plants?

3AA3643C 529D 41DB 8FF9 2FA6FC1A57B7
Fro5ty

Fro5ty

After further examination, what are these white speaks on your plants?
That’s sawdust. The transporter of the phyto-mites I released. The guy I get my clones from has a spider-mites infestation. I sprayed them with pesticides (Milbeknock and Vertimec), but wasn’t good enough apparently, caus 2 weeks into the grow I recognized the yellow dots on leafs and even a couple of webs of spider-mites. released double dose of predatory mites. And 6 weeks later repeated it as a precaution (thats now 1 week ago). Haven’t had any signs of spidermites since the first release of the phyto-mites.

Fro5ty

Fro5ty

Everything checks out, except, pests. Have you seen or scoped for any pests? Those holes and some other leaf damage would have me suspect. Good luck and happy grows.
I have looked with my telescope but haven’t found any pests. I’ll retry when the lights come on. But the fact that it started on de oldest fan leafs really has me pushing towards a nutrition problem.

I thought the same thing when I found a hole in one of the leafs. It’s the 3th leaf now with a hole in it. All different plants. I really don’t know what to make from it anymore. What pest could damage my girls like this?

Fro5ty

Fro5ty

I see you liked my comment. Do you know what pest could damage my plant like this though?

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
That’s sawdust. The transporter of the phyto-mites I released. The guy I get my clones from has a spider-mites infestation. I sprayed them with pesticides (Milbeknock and Vertimec), but wasn’t good enough apparently, caus 2 weeks into the grow I recognized the yellow dots on leafs and even a couple of webs of spider-mites. released double dose of predatory mites. And 6 weeks later repeated it as a precaution (thats now 1 week ago). Haven’t had any signs of spidermites since the first release of the phyto-mites.
Yikes. Sounds like a nightmare. Spider mites make me cringe. I would never contact that clone connect again haha..there’s a plethora of options here on the farm for clean cut genetics, mite free, seeds for sale etc. Yes mites could damage the plant like that, thrips, leaf hoppers, etc but you’d be able to see those. It might be operator error.

Not sure regarding the nutrient issue as I’ve never grown with those nutrients or that style. Happy grows

PK1

PK1

Supporter
Major ph swing can cause deficiencies. Try to level the system back to ph 5.5 to 5.8 and make sure to follow the schedule. Playing with the schedule can cause problems.

Fro5ty

Fro5ty

Major ph swing can cause deficiencies. Try to level the system back to ph 5.5 to 5.8 and make sure to follow the schedule. Playing with the schedule can cause problems.
What’s the “schedule” for pH, according to you? I’ve heard between 6.0 and 6.2 is the sweetspot.

Reactions: PK1
PK1

PK1

Supporter
What’s the “schedule” for pH, according to you? I’ve heard between 6.0 and 6.2 is the sweetspot.
i like the ph to be at 5.5. here is a chart tat explains plants nutrients uptake at what ph. Do remember that your ph fluctuates when the water levels fall down

Hydroponic ph range
Fro5ty

Fro5ty

i like the ph to be at 5.5. here is a chart tat explains plants nutrients uptake at what ph. Do remember that your ph fluctuates when the water levels fall down

this chart puts 5.5 at the bare minimum. I read so many contradictions, it’s crazy…

Top Bottom