cal-mag Proublem.

• Thread starter tugrow
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

tugrow

Im a soil grower that uses stright RO water. I add Botanicares cal mag. Seems that no matter what I do I cant get the deficency to work out. Does anyone have any advice to help fix my proublems

GrowMaster

GrowMaster

Im a soil grower that uses stright RO water. I add Botanicares cal mag. Seems that no matter what I do I cant get the deficency to work out. Does anyone have any advice to help fix my proublems

Ya, shit can the cal mag, and get u some cal-plex, I was having the same prob im in soil and use RO water to, after I switched no more prob just nice green healthy plants, cal-mag is for hydro growers...........GM

DSC01467
DSC01468
motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
nice - need to get me some of that - organic too

K

kushmaster313

i use cal mag as well sour d has no effect but it causes a deficency on my purp

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
GO has a cal-mag product as well that is derived from calcium carbonate. botanicare is calcium nitrate maybe this is the issue with the R/O. good tip growmaster

U

UCtestn

I too have been using Cal-Mag with RO on a sativa dominant Mango in Pro-mix. It takes 200PPM to maintain the deficiency stable. If I PH high enough to jam it down the plants throat I'll start getting deficiencies from lower PH nutes like iron.

I'm going to try a difference Cal/Mag nutrient. I'll jump on that Cal Plex for the next round.

B

Buddy Hemphill

dammit.....I use cal mag and have been experiencing the same problems. It seems like 10 ml/gal isn't enough for some strains...but fine for another..

I will see if calplex is more consistent in soil. I noticed inconsistencies in promix but it seems worse in super soil...maybe I am trippin...or ph'ing at 7 instead of 5.8-9 is locking out the calmag in the organic soil?....that one will take an answer from somebody thats sharper than me....

P

pompel

I can recommend Calgreen by Metrop nutrients. Expensive, but heavy, gooey organic stuff. As always, use with care, calmag problems are not often a primary problem when growing in high quality organic soil, particularly calcium. However, if the PH is way out of range (high), then I would guess that lack of magnesium is a more probable cause of problems. Use as foilar in addition is also good advice.

R

reppin2c

I know the answer. My crystal ball is saying its Cal-Mag Plus and when you look on the back label it says iron EDTA. Thats some bad killer stuff and its a persistent organic pollutant. Google it and check the wiki. I wouldnt put that stuff in my body. I recently killed around 75 gallons of soil with theyre product and Ill never purchase from botanicare again. F me once shame on you, F me twice shame on me

Taedon83

Taedon83

calmag def is a hydro product. Synthetic salt all the way = no good for organics

I use compost tea and organic soil/coco. In between feedings just RO with General Organics calmag product to 150-200ppm and it seems to work well. I'm def gonna try calplex next as i've heard good things.

I think a big cal-mag problem is watering techniques. Double watering more specifically and doing a full drench. If the soil medium is partially watered and there are dry spots, the first nutrients to bind/lock up is calcium and its the hardest to break once its been bound. Leading to mag and iron deficiencies.

Also there seems to be an overload of phosphorous is many products and mediums. Phosphorus from my knowledge is directly linked to the absorption of calcium. A common mistake is people feeding too early and establishing minor lockouts early that snowball into disasters.

-T

GrowMaster

GrowMaster

To everybody thats gonna try or that is using calplex a little bit goes a long way, I will only feed it to my moms once to twice a month, and in the flower room I only will feed it for the first two weeks at full strength thats all, anymore and it will burn them, if u want to feed more often I would mix it at half strength or less............GM

420king-MASSES

could be that your using r.o.with organics/organic soil r.o. is not good for organics yes water filtration is always a good idea but with organics r.o. is a no go [which i just recently found out] also dont use r.o. on seeds or seeds germinting or seedlings its actually better to have that water directly from the tap for seeds in germination[another thing i recently found out]

Ohiofarmer

Ohiofarmer

I have been growing all organic soil/coco for years and not once have ever had any deficiency at all, thats the beauty of growing soil and organic. I would try mixing your RO water with a little bit(as in 5.78 gallons or more) of spring sourced water in a mixing tub with some air stones and try making organic solutions in there. RO water is bad for organics(b/c it contains no minerals) and tap water contains chlorine and fluoride which both with kill all positive microbial activity,as well as make buds bad to smoke. The best solution IMO is to by sourced spring water from a wholesale store, the smallest container they sell is 5.78 gallons and it cost about 4 bucks, you can also buy them over time and there fairly easy to transport, also you won't ever really need more then 9 in the grow cycle,growing organic indoors inless your growing alot of big plants. In conjunction you could mix the sourced spring water with your RO water to add all the minerals your plants will need, Growing organic means that your shouldn't EVER need to ever add any extra hydroponic shit or anything that isn't derived from the earth. Haha hope this helps, you should def. do somthing about the water and stop the cal-mag substitute. Take it easy man, merry christmas

justiceman

justiceman

I use to use Botanicare Cal mag witch is calcium nitrate and magnesium nitrate but I frown upon it's synthetic composition. I like Organicare's Calplex but the dilution rate is horrible along with the price. That is why I like General Organics Cal mag. It is the same as organicares calplex(calcium carbonate) plus it has magnesium carbonate and molasses in it. It is also fermented in order allow the calmag to be readily available.

Yo Ohio farmer have you ever head of "SOLE" it's a water/salt solution made with Himilayan salt crystals. Those salt crystals contain every elemtent(even gold and silver) in trace amounts. I was thinking it might work well to spike R/O water with a bit of that to turn it into a type of "spring water".

B

Buddy Hemphill

I have been growing all organic soil/coco for years and not once have ever had any deficiency at all, thats the beauty of growing soil and organic. I would try mixing your RO water with a little bit(as in 5.78 gallons or more) of spring sourced water in a mixing tub with some air stones and try making organic solutions in there. RO water is bad for organics(b/c it contains no minerals) and tap water contains chlorine and fluoride which both with kill all positive microbial activity,as well as make buds bad to smoke. The best solution IMO is to by sourced spring water from a wholesale store, the smallest container they sell is 5.78 gallons and it cost about 4 bucks, you can also buy them over time and there fairly easy to transport, also you won't ever really need more then 9 in the grow cycle,growing organic indoors inless your growing alot of big plants. In conjunction you could mix the sourced spring water with your RO water to add all the minerals your plants will need, Growing organic means that your shouldn't EVER need to ever add any extra hydroponic shit or anything that isn't derived from the earth. Haha hope this helps, you should def. do somthing about the water and stop the cal-mag substitute. Take it easy man, merry christmas

Are you saying tap water will kill all microbial life?

N

naturalmedicine

Wow. I never knew that RO water was that bad. I've been using it for years. I've always had good results, but I have had crops that looked overly deficient towards the end or a bit earlier than usual. Maybe that's why. Is it ok to use water with the chlorine filtered out or is it still bad because of the fluoride? What filter would be best?

Latest posts

Top Bottom