Calcium deficiency and osmosis systems

• Thread starter nemgrower202
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
nemgrower202

nemgrower202

Hi
While using an osmosis system my water becomes soft and lacks any calcium.
I am adding a calcium supplement to the water now. Canna calcium 1ml per liter.
I was wondering if i need to add the supplement to each watering or only when i add nutrients. I am growing in rockwool .
thanks

TheBioMaster

TheBioMaster

In rockwool you should always be using nutrients when watering.....straight RO water is not good for plants.

RO water is used when your source water has to high of a TDS reading.......and without testing, you don't really know what is in it and in what amounts, etc.

In most cases the amounts do not interfere with the nutrient system used.....but not always. Lockouts can occur depending on several factors.

nemgrower202

nemgrower202

In rockwool you should always be using nutrients when watering.....straight RO water is not good for plants.

RO water is used when your source water has to high of a TDS reading.......and without testing, you don't really know what is in it and in what amounts, etc.

In most cases the amounts do not interfere with the nutrient system used.....but not always. Lockouts can occur depending on several factors.
But wouldnt that be overfeeding them? When i used to grow years ago i always used to add nutrients each time i used to water them. But now i've been told that i am overfeeding them and to add nutrients every other watering.

TheBioMaster

TheBioMaster

Lower the amount of nutrients used if the plants show signs of overfeeding. The amount of water and frequency must also be dialed in.

nemgrower202

nemgrower202

Lower the amount of nutrients used if the plants show signs of overfeeding. The amount of water and frequency must also be dialed in.
Ah perfect. Yeah i remember always adding nutes to my water when i used to grow and it used to work perfect for me. Now i started growing again and people tell me to not to feed them so much.
Thanks for the advice, really appreciate it.

youngOG

youngOG

But wouldnt that be overfeeding them? When i used to grow years ago i always used to add nutrients each time i used to water them. But now i've been told that i am overfeeding them and to add nutrients every other watering.
usually the problem with rockwool, is not too much nutrients in the feed but rather salt acumulations that happen in the media
when you let it dry out a bit to let it breath before watering again, some salts that were dissolved in your hydro solution will crystallize and get trapped in the medium
if you measure the EC of your runoff you can get crazy numbers

the solution ?
give big runoff each watering , enough to get EC feed = ec runoff

feed around 1.5 mS and your good
dont let the salt burn your plants

nemgrower202

nemgrower202

usually the problem with rockwool, is not too much nutrients in the feed but rather salt acumulations that happen in the media
when you let it dry out a bit to let it breath before watering again, some salts that were dissolved in your hydro solution will crystallize and get trapped in the medium
if you measure the EC of your runoff you can get crazy numbers

the solution ?
give big runoff each watering , enough to get EC feed = ec runoff

feed around 1.5 mS and your good
dont let the salt burn your plants
Thanks for the info. when i used to run the system 15 years ago i used to run it long. Now im running it a bit less cause im afraid of over watering. but i give it a bit of a runoff

youngOG

youngOG

Thanks for the info. when i used to run the system 15 years ago i used to run it long. Now im running it a bit less cause im afraid of over watering. but i give it a bit of a runoff
rockwool overwatering happen with too frequent watering
big runoff will never harm
you can let it runoff 10 min without any symptom of overwatering

nemgrower202

nemgrower202

rockwool overwatering happen with too frequent watering
big runoff will never harm
you can let it runoff 10 min without any symptom of overwatering
Yup, i water them every other day and let it run off. If i dont they dont get enough water and dry up

Top Bottom