calcium peroxygen

• Thread starter moonunitdqg
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

moonunitdqg

Hydrogen peroxide has been used for quite some time in hydro with great success, and its what gets us aussies through summers growing hydro. about 5 years ago i first started to hear of calcium peroxygen. Doesnt have the oxidizing abilities of the h202, but it does serve to oxygenate the nute solution and it releases usable calcium to the plant aswell. We havent been able to get it commercialy here in oz but i recently heard of a product called oxy cal that is calcium peroxygen. I would love to get a hold of it, and moreso hear from anyne using it as i have been waiting for a good calcium peroxygen product for years ( could have been out there that long and i never found it lol).
much respect
moonunit
Anyone

M

moonunitdqg

bump , no one heard of it? anyone?. The main thing im wondering , is this something that could be used in soil for a super oxygen blast to the roots, without killing off benefitial microlife.
moonunit

H

highroller

Premium Member
Supporter
That's a Grotek product. If you go to their site I think they have distributors or ship to Australia. First I've heard of it and have never used it, but I'm a huge Zappa fan...lol.

From the description on their page (which for some reason I can't link to) says its a time release oxygen and calcium supplement which fosters a beneficial microbial substrate...so yeah, sounds like it's what you've been lookin for brother.

Upon further investigation, there's a shiteload of Grotek distributors in Australia.

T

tenacious

Supporter
i just added some to the coco for my seedlings, hopefully it is gentle.

M

Mountain

I picked up a few lbs of both the powder and granule form of CaO2 for a buddy to play with, an organic soil grower, and he really likes it but a bit touchy to work with. One thing you will find is an increased growth rate and the stuff seems to last about 3 to maybe 4 weeks. In and of itself a poor buffer as a stand alone for 2 reasons. The first is the compund itself is about a pH of 12+ at a 1% solution and when it's used up or burns out in the container you can get a wicked pH shift if you've used too much. It's probably better to use lower in the containers where oxygen levels are less.

You can put it in water and basically won't do much but as pH drops it starts to react and release oxygen. The lower the pH the faster it will react and also the lower the pH the greater amount of H2O2 is generated. I'm guessing if you put in something like pH Down it will even fizz but just guessing. At the least will probably only take a few minuntes to burn itself out.

How much you use is dependent on your current program as a recommendation would be to start replacing some of your current buffer and watch for any pH issues in about a 3-4 weeks till you get it dialed in.

M

moonunitdqg

Highroller, ty for the info m8. I will have to get some ordered in next time im near a grow shop, definately time to give it a shot, ty again m8

tenacious, hi m8 coco and soil where the main reasons i was looking into this prduct aswell, not only oxygenates but helps with calcium in the coco.

Mountain, ty for the great info m8, its seems like good use of the compound real comes down to dialing it into your specific situation to avoid the ph fluctuatuon. Could be used in soil mixes like dolimite lime by the sounds of it aswell untill it reacts and drops its ph. I am going to have to get some and play around like your buddy has to learn its proper use and benefits within certain perameters, ty again for the info m8, huge help
much respect
Moonunitdqg

M

Mountain

Honestly really don't know about it's use for coco grows and personally would not use it that way. I think there's better sources for calcium and when I ran coco was water a few times a day like any hydro and the oxygen comes from the solution but mainly from the fill/drain action. I also ran coco fed once a day and still would not mess with CaO2 there either...but that's just me.

I think it's best fit is for soil grows but not saying it won't work well in other applications.

Top Bottom