Calcium Sulfate use during flowering.

• Thread starter MikeParent
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

MikeParent

Has anyone used calcium sulfate as a source of calcium in a hydroponic grow. We’re heading into week 5 of flower and I’d like to back off of the Nitrogen in the Calcium Nitrate? I see where Calcium Sulfate soluble @ 2.4 Gms per liter, giving 550 ppm. TIA

CookiesLikeWhoa

CookiesLikeWhoa

Currently using it in veg right now at 1gr/gal.

Seems to be doing the trick.

M

Max420

For the same reasons of needing to lower nitrogen later in flower, i started using calcium ascorbate in addition to calcium nitrate. As flower progresses, the calcium nitrate decreases, and the calcium ascorbate increases.

With a solubility of 50g/100ml, it is much more soluble than calcium sulfate. And imo, we do not need anymore cations paired with sulphates in our nutrients. It is 9.4% calcium. Hydrobuddy calculates 4g calcium ascorbate for 100ppm/gal. I purchase pharma grade powder on amazon, relatively cheap.

To keep my sulphur in range (30-50ppm), i like to also use magnesium ascorbate in my formulation. By adding multiple combos of cations/anions into hydrobuddy's substance list, it helps the dreaded "gross error" warning.

I've noticed some of the new nutrient lines are touting carbon, and they're getting it by using citrates, due to their high carbon %. Not at all sure if the plants are getting anything from this form carbon, so not making any claims, but ascorbates are higher in carbon than citrates. Calcium ascorbate being 33% carbon.

Bruce Bugbee says he likes to use vansil 10 for Si. It is calcium silicate, so it too, could chip away at the calcium nitrate, as well as add Si.

Trixie

Trixie

For the same reasons of needing to lower nitrogen later in flower, i started using calcium ascorbate in addition to calcium nitrate. As flower progresses, the calcium nitrate decreases, and the calcium ascorbate increases.

With a solubility of 50g/100ml, it is much more soluble than calcium sulfate. And imo, we do not need anymore cations paired with sulphates in our nutrients. It is 9.4% calcium. Hydrobuddy calculates 4g calcium ascorbate for 100ppm/gal. I purchase pharma grade powder on amazon, relatively cheap.

To keep my sulphur in range (30-50ppm), i like to also use magnesium ascorbate in my formulation. By adding multiple combos of cations/anions into hydrobuddy's substance list, it helps the dreaded "gross error" warning.

I've noticed some of the new nutrient lines are touting carbon, and they're getting it by using citrates, due to their high carbon %. Not at all sure if the plants are getting anything from this form carbon, so not making any claims, but ascorbates are higher in carbon than citrates. Calcium ascorbate being 33% carbon.

Bruce Bugbee says he likes to use vansil 10 for Si. It is calcium silicate, so it too, could chip away at the calcium nitrate, as well as add Si.
The 33% carbon in theory boosts the Cation Exchange Capacity.

plumsmooth

plumsmooth

Seems not much available info on this use of form of Calcium. Could it be because it id too expensive for big growers. Not too expensive for me and my couple of large plants reservoirs?

Top Bottom