Calibrating Temp and Humidity Sensor

• Thread starter RootsRuler
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
RootsRuler

RootsRuler

What are you all using to calibrate your temperature and humidity sensors? I get that there are high dollar meters that can give me accuracy 5 decimal points out but I'm just curious if there is a poor man/DIY method that is effective.

I have an AC Infinity T6 fan with Controller 67 and on the software app there is a section where you can calibrate the sensor that was included with the fan set. What are you all using as a true baseline so that you know the number displaying is actually what is happening in the tent?

freezeland2

freezeland2

What are you all using to calibrate your temperature and humidity sensors? I get that there are high dollar meters that can give me accuracy 5 decimal points out but I'm just curious if there is a poor man/DIY method that is effective.

I have an AC Infinity T6 fan with Controller 67 and on the software app there is a section where you can calibrate the sensor that was included with the fan set. What are you all using as a true baseline so that you know the number displaying is actually what is happening in the tent?
I’d just go with whatever it’s reading unless you suspect it to be wrong. In the end the best gage of the environment being correct is the plant before you.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

I’d just go with whatever it’s reading unless you suspect it to be wrong. In the end the best gage of the environment being correct is the plant before you.
I agree that plants are the best monitor of environment but I would still like to know that the reading I'm seeing is at least + or - 2* or 2% within the range I've set for it.

freezeland2

freezeland2

I agree that plants are the best monitor of environment but I would still like to know that the reading I'm seeing is at least + or - 2* or 2% within the range I've set for it.
You have another meter to compare it against? I don’t have a hygrometer in my house that reads the same, and I have several..lol.

Blastfact

Blastfact

I use a old school sling psychrometer to get accurate temp, rh, wet bulb temp and dew point. I've not found any of the crap china junk on the market to be accurate or scale well at all. There use to be this thing,,, it was called quality. It's not around anymore....

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

I use a old school sling psychrometer to get accurate temp, rh, wet bulb temp and dew point. I've not found any of the crap china junk on the market to be accurate or scale well at all. There use to be this thing,,, it was called quality. It's not around anymore...
Any device or devices I can pick up that are reasonably priced but accurate that I can use?

Blastfact

Blastfact

Any device or devices I can pick up that are reasonably priced but accurate that I can use?
I know of none. I was going to buy some calibrated and certified sensors and old school pressure and temp gauges and such and the company I use to use was closing down in my local market and not accepting anymore work. I used this company for 30 years. They had enough of cheap junk and people that did not want to pay for quality.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Tds calibration take table salt and add 1 gram to a litre of distilled water. You get a 1000ppm solution this is only as accurate as tour measuring ability but gives you a very good idea

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Gonna be honest tds and humidity controller’s are well within tolerance to use for our purposes. I use inkbird and they are always very close. pH pens i prefer bluelab, apera or better as thats money well spent.

Hell every dehumidifier comes with a deadband so far apart they are far worse than any controller or monitor you can buy.

Then you have people chexking things without acclimating them long enough in many cases and saying they are way out. Temperature is absolutely crucial even when calibrating something like a torque wrench.

I have done a shit ton of calibration over my years and the key is they needed to be calibrated specifications within your needs. Gett a humidity controller to 0.1 RH is an absurd waste of time and money.

Now ita a different story if your doing data collection or something that requires NIST standards but how many of you are doing that with your grows

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Grow for life🌱
Supporter
Have multiple sensors. Helps to get a more accurate reading. @INKBIRD probes are the best bang for the buck I’ve used.👌

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Gonna be honest tds and humidity controller’s are well within tolerance to use for our purposes. I use inkbird and they are always very close. pH pens i prefer bluelab, apera or better as thats money well spent.

Hell every dehumidifier comes with a deadband so far apart they are far worse than any controller or monitor you can buy.

Then you have people chexking things without acclimating them long enough in many cases and saying they are way out. Temperature is absolutely crucial even when calibrating something like a torque wrench.

I have done a shit ton of calibration over my years and the key is they needed to be calibrated specifications within your needs. Gett a humidity controller to 0.1 RH is an absurd waste of time and money.

Now ita a different story if your doing data collection or something that requires NIST standards but how many of you are doing that with your grows
So do you think the ACI probes are accurate enough out of the box? No need to calibrate? I'd like some sort of device that I can check the calibration and get it close enough, like you said.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

So do you think the ACI probes are accurate enough out of the box? No need to calibrate? I'd like some sort of device that I can check the calibration and get it close enough, like you said.
Im far from a tech guy on electronic sensors. @Moe.Red is your man there brother. But for humidity that salt test is very accurate.

When in doubt always verify. But make aure you acclimate according to the needs if the test for at least 12 hrs

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Everything Aqua said is accurate. I just replied to your PM on this, I'll see if I can't come up with some more info.

Blastfact

Blastfact

Aqua Man's salt test is valid and used by many folks in all sorts of trades and disciplines. A basic temp test is a glass filled with crushed ice and filled with water. Put the temp probe in it and you should see 33f or so. Many will claim 32f but the glass will never freeze indicating true 32f. And on the other end of the scale water at a roiling boil is 212f.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Aqua Man's salt test is valid and used by many folks in all sorts of trades and disciplines. A basic temp test is a glass filled with crushed ice and filled with water. Put the temp probe in it and you should see 33f or so. Many will claim 32f but the glass will never freeze indicating true 32f. And on the other end of the scale water at a roiling boil is 212f.
Thats a really nice spread for temp calibration. 2 or 3 point calibration is also a huge step up in accuracy with electronic sensors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom