California Adds Pot to List of Cancer-Causing Substances

• Thread starter Cali smoke
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Cali smoke

Cali smoke

California Adds Pot to List of Cancer-Causing Substances
5 July 2009, 10:30 CDT

In a move that has the good people of California scratching their heads in perplexity, state lawmakers recently passed a measure that would eventually require medical marijuana—prescribed most frequently to alleviate suffering in patients with severe cancer—to carry a warning label telling of its potential cancer-causing risks.

Last month state environmental regulators decided that cannabis should be added to its official list of substances known to cause cancer, which will likely lead to warning signs in marijuana dispensaries and cautionary labels on product packaging.

In a 1996 referendum, Californians voted to legalize the leafy green stuff for patients ailing under serious diseases such as AIDS, cancer and glaucoma. A number of research studies have pointed to the unique benefits of marijuana in counteracting the pain, nausea and “wasting-effect” that often accompanies the late stages of AIDS and cancer in particular.

Defenders of pot legalization have argued that scientists have long known that marijuana smoke contains carcinogens, but that this does not necessarily prove a causal relationship with cancer.

Regulators have countered this claim however, pointing to studies conducted by the state’s Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment in which "marijuana smoke was clearly shown, through scientifically valid testing according to generally accepted principles, to cause cancer," according to an agency statement.

Dr. Thomas Mack, a University of Southern California epidemiologist and chairman of the committee, said the decision to add marijuana smoke to the official list of cancer-causing substances is no big shocker.

“If you take a piece of vegetable material, a leaf, and burn it, you're going to get the type of compounds that cause cancer,” explained Mack.

Still, Mack agrees to some extent with the defenders of marijuana legalization, saying that the data linking marijuana smoke to cancer is only “suggestive” and by no means conclusive.

Critics of the regulatory decision have pointed to a number of methodological flaws in the studies reviewed by the committee, such as the inclusion of data from studies conducted in North Africa, where marijuana is typically mixed with tobacco.

There is by no means a consensus in the scientific community regarding the relationship between pot smoke and cancer. One 2006 study even indicated that marijuana smokers may actually be at a reduced risk of developing cancer than nonsmokers.

“If they want to classify marijuana smoke as carcinogenic, then that is true. It contains carcinogens,” said Donald Tashkin, a longtime marijuana researcher at the University of California. "That doesn't mean it causes cancer."

Ironically, the regulators’ authority to list marijuana as a cancer-causing substance derives from another voter-approved measure known as Proposition 65, which instructs state health officials to compile a list of all substances that can lead to cancer, birth defects or reproductive abnormalities.

First instituted in 1986, critics contend that the list of dangerous substances has grown absurdly long, including such common products as aspirin, gasoline, potato chips and French fries.

Dr. Frank Lucido of Berkeley, vice president of the American Academy of Cannabinoid Medicine, is a true believer in the benefits of medical marijuana and says that he has been prescribing it to patients since it first became legal in 1996. The AACD is a recently formed organization of physicians who study and advise standards for medical marijuana use.

Lucido says that while he will not stop prescribing marijuana as a result of the legislation, he may begin suggesting that patients take it in a smoke-free form, such as marijuana-infused foods or vaporizers.

“Obviously, it's never good to breathe smoke if you can avoid it,” Lucido said.

K

Kalcu

What about vaporizing, verses different grades of hash, verses quality of buds verses growing conditions and obviously ranged over health practices.

Obviously smoking plant matter is not great all the time, without purging the body of toxins. I'd think living around heavy traffic, in a valley would be worse or say on the bay eating fish and swimming very day.

666elsie

Wtf is this??

Someone vaporize this guy!!also give him the worlds most authoritative on MARIHUANA-Raphael Mechoulam.This is the guy who found the THC compound back in the early 60's.long be4 most here were born!

S

StonedOwl

Everything gives you cancer, cell phones, sunlight, air...

I think this is a good thing, it just shows how the government is having to accept cannabis as something people are going to use.

They can't stop it, so now they have to slap a cancer warning on it.

It may not immediately look like it, but this is a victory for marijuana acceptance.

I

IAmProton

I very much agree stoned, that is a great point. It show's that they are going to treat it like they would cigarettes. I know, I know there not the same, but it is one step forward. Also, if you do smoke I wouldn't expect special treatment, eventually when it is accepted it will be treated the same as smoking tobacco so you can't do it out in public and what not, but hey you can do it. "Baby step to four o'clock. Baby step to four o'clock. " - What About Bob

B

bicycle racer

they should on the warning say that the cancer causing effect is only applicable when smoked. as for those who vape or eat this does not apply they should clarify that for consumers.

U

uefear

The warning label, more than likely, will end up reading something like this, "Smoking cannabis is harmful to your health and may cause cancer."

Im sure they have thought of vaporizing and eating alternatives....some people prescribed it can't even smoke it so its safe to say they will not generalize.

T

Time

they should on the warning say that the cancer causing effect is only applicable when smoked. as for those who vape or eat this does not apply they should clarify that for consumers.

Seconded.

Inhaling the smoke from any carbon based substance can put someone at risk.

Chemotype

Chemotype

There is no validity to this. There has never been a correlation with cancer and cannabis. The fact that cannabis smoke contains substances that are are linked to causing cancer in cigarette smokers holds no validity as to associate cancer to cannabis when there has never been a case of cannabis smoke causing cancer. Its like saying people who are blind use canes thus people who use canes are blind. Check this out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJmQ16cGBHU

U

Uncle Salty

This may be a waste of breath, but being southern, I've also heard that smoking meats for barbeque also can have the same effects using the carbon compounds argument. That delicious smoke ring on the meat is the enemy! Personally, I'm too lazy to seek my own truth- until it's fact, it's just a lot of opinions flying around. I'm a big fan of the "taking it in moderation" adage.

R

rottenjohn

There have been studies done that have proven that smoking cannabis has protected cell that often mutate into cancer in cigarette smokers. It was a topic of several different podcasts from normal. Instead of the cell mutating to be cancerous it just dies off. There is a ton of info out there on this.

R

rottenjohn

This may be a waste of breath, but being southern, I've also heard that smoking meats for barbeque also can have the same effects using the carbon compounds argument. That delicious smoke ring on the meat is the enemy! Personally, I'm too lazy to seek my own truth- until it's fact, it's just a lot of opinions flying around. I'm a big fan of the "taking it in moderation" adage.

I have heard that grilling meats over charcoal, where the fat hits the coals and smokes is what has been linked to cancer, but in all honest I think its mostly scare tactics. At the end of the day moderation, or a well balanced diet keeps ones health in check.

S

stardust

so the cure to cancer is in cannabis?? quick lets breakthrough this science, save millions aaaand make billions...

666elsie

I've died 10 times over and over,ya think after 40 + yrs of smokin the herb.
Just who is putting out this crap,they ain't educated or smart!!I have 2 Dr's that are just as IGNORANT AND MORE...

R

Resinator

Not everyone that uses cannabis smokes it ... I happen to use a medical vaporizor which does not create carcinogens.

I do agree to some extent that smoking any burnt substance on a regular basis can have adverse medical side effects.

BTW: Since I started using the vaporizor over a year ago, my cronic cough went away.

Latest posts

Top Bottom