California Growers Union!

• Thread starter cheaplastic
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
cheaplastic

cheaplastic

What is everyone's thoughts in organizing a California Growers Union? with different chapters in different regions of the state?

Each region would include the most professional and prominent cultivators, Agreeing on a set price level for indoor and outdoor product.

We need more organization in order to keep our voices heard, preserve our livelihood, prevent big business from driving us out of the industry, and ensure local quality product reaches much needy Californians.

any thoughts, opinions, criticisms, and suggestions are much welcome! :joint:

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
Seems like a great idea

isnt oaktown trying to unionize?

cheaplastic

cheaplastic

Seems like a great idea

isnt oaktown trying to unionize?

thats what ive heard.. Id like to hear from SoCal growers mainly!

lets get an alliance going!

Lets not let prop 19 run us out of town!

A

amstercal

I don't know about unionizing, but I'd be down for some kind of coalition where there's better communication and cooperation.

the rrock

the rrock

many of the growers i know(prop 215 included) choose to keep a low profile

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
Im in favor of an alliance/coalition rather than a traditional union

fractal

fractal

Something needs to be done, because right now the dispensaries as a whole are throwing their weight around like a drunken elephant on crack, controlling wholesale prices which have dropped a third in two years.

I wouldn't have a big problem if retail prices had also plummeted but they have not, only wholesale. I don't even deal with clubs any more and will not unless something like this can happen and growers have some weight of their own to throw around, pun intended.

There needs to be repercussions for growers who just cave in and take whatever is offered, they set the bar really low for the rest of us. I don't claim to have an idea just yet on how to do it but it seriously needs to be done.

ScuzyRoach

ScuzyRoach

Something needs to be done, because right now the dispensaries as a whole are throwing their weight around like a drunken elephant on crack, controlling wholesale prices which have dropped a third in two years.

I wouldn't have a big problem if retail prices had also plummeted but they have not, only wholesale. I don't even deal with clubs any more and will not unless something like this can happen and growers have some weight of their own to throw around, pun intended.

There needs to be repercussions for growers who just cave in and take whatever is offered, they set the bar really low for the rest of us. I don't claim to have an idea just yet on how to do it but it seriously needs to be done.

Almost perfectly said. Only a few cents to throw in myself. IMO the recent increase in growers who have no other outlet has driven prices down considerably. That and the increase in the yearly outdoor that floods the market.
I think a true growers co-op is the way to go. This way it can be set up as a non profit like the current clubs or dispensaries. It also protects against larger quantities and transprotation. If dates or times can be set for collection then more weight can be taken in together w/ a single person or a few people to negotiate the correct price. These clubs need to be accountable. Most are set up as non-profits and if lower prices are paid to growers then lower prices should be demanded by the clubs members.
Just an idea for a way to do it w/ current laws and legit tax collection for all growers. Lets show them that true farmers pay taxes like everyone else.
Take Good Karma Growers Collective up north as an example. Their top price is usually like max $35 an 1/8. Usually lower for outdoor, which is dank as fuck. They pay fair outdoor prices to growers and only charge the same way. They also have a farmers market on Sat.. Another way for people to meet up and still be semi low key. Everyone has to be members to attend ect.

Time for my medication.

B

Buddy Hemphill

fuckin aye. well said.

and they are dumbin people down making them think 2500/lb medicine/larf... is dank.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
thats what ive heard.. Id like to hear from SoCal growers mainly!

lets get an alliance going!

Lets not let prop 19 run us out of town!

Im in favor of an alliance/coalition rather than a traditional union
I'm not in SoCal, so I'm not so sure you're interested in hearing from me. However, I think I agree with the basic premises you've outlined. Setting standards and practices, as well as policies and procedures for growing and handling this perishable product is a very good idea, in my opinion.

A professional organization is what I would be in favor of. Anyone who wishes to join, can, but they have to have a minimum of education on growing, and they *must* be trained in IPM (integrated pest management) at least to the degree necessary to be fully knowledgeable on how to use and handle certain products. This minimum standard would be verified through the organization, and perhaps it could issue its own certificates, such as is seen with other professions.

That would weed out the wannabes and idiots who will do things like sell weed covered in powdery mildew, or who will use strong pesticides immediately prior to harvest with not a care in the world about who's going to be using the product. Such as people with depressed immune systems.

First problem would not be how to organize, it would be creating a mission statement and a base set of tenets.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
I would hope the coalilition would fairly grade the product,certify the organic grown,and smooth out the prices during the year.Making the prices fair & stable to both growers and clubs would be great for everyone!

cheaplastic

cheaplastic

I think you all have very good ideas on how to get the ball rolling, i like the concept of a "farmers collective"

Right now my boss and close friend has a collective for quite sometime but is looking to get in contact and organize professional growers. to start a farmers market of sorts.. We are based out of West LA but we are looking to draw in interested growers from all over Cali..

Lets make our voices heard! and take back this industry!

I will post more details in the next couple of days.

All your feedback and ideas are very much appreciated. Lets turn this thread into a "think tank" and stimulate more useful concepts we can put into action in the next coming months!!

fractal

fractal

I'm not in SoCal, so I'm not so sure you're interested in hearing from me. However, I think I agree with the basic premises you've outlined. Setting standards and practices, as well as policies and procedures for growing and handling this perishable product is a very good idea, in my opinion.

A professional organization is what I would be in favor of. Anyone who wishes to join, can, but they have to have a minimum of education on growing, and they *must* be trained in IPM (integrated pest management) at least to the degree necessary to be fully knowledgeable on how to use and handle certain products. This minimum standard would be verified through the organization, and perhaps it could issue its own certificates, such as is seen with other professions.

That would weed out the wannabes and idiots who will do things like sell weed covered in powdery mildew, or who will use strong pesticides immediately prior to harvest with not a care in the world about who's going to be using the product. Such as people with depressed immune systems.

First problem would not be how to organize, it would be creating a mission statement and a base set of tenets.

Right on, I feel that some kind of peer grower's network to certify product and verify sales would be the best way to start. It would be completely voluntary, and admission would be strict!

Maybe even you would have to submit samples every 2 months for 6 months consecutive to show that you can produce consistently the same quality.

It needs to be strictly controlled admittance to lend it credibility, but if built on a solid idea an informal network could gain influence.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I would LOVE to be able to submit samples that could go into a database. This would help establish each grower's reputation for solid, quality product. There would be costs associated, so dues would be necessary, but if lab testing of the product could be included in those dues then it would make the database even better.

I think I agree about the control, too. My mother is a registered dietitian and she runs list-serves that are specific to professionals. The reasons she has to do it this way are a little more serious, but the end result, what we hope to achieve, would be quite similar--a group of growers that could be called professionals within their sphere, and would operate as such.

There are other areas in which members should probably be able to demonstrate a minimum of knowledge, those would have to be identified and standardized.

G

GRAMTOWN

I agree with the farmers collective, Also i love the idea of issuing certifications especially in the aspect of organics and pesticides. I would join this collective no doubt, lets make this happen fellow farmers! now is the time

P

paulycali

I am in Socal! I am down for coalition

Lets do this!

Next step?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
We would begin with a mission statement, outlining the purpose(s) and goal(s) of the organization. Also, if this is an organization that's actually going to take in funds, there are issues with that. I couldn't tell you how those are handled, probably have to create filing of some sort (such as 501c3, which I'm not saying this would qualify for, just something I have a little more knowledge about, as a for instance).

Bylines, policy and procedure, a bunch of things would have to be hammered out. I think if there is an organization similar to what we're talking about in another field, such as grape and other types of farmers, we could look to that for a beginning framework and idea of direction.

We agree that some goals would be to get all who are members educated on pest management.

I'm not sure that I want to force the issue of organic versus not, but perhaps product labeling that indicates one versus another would be appropriate and meaningful.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2156398_start-professional-association.html

Top Bottom