Calling all flora flex users

• Thread starter MrMackey
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MrMackey

MrMackey

I’m looking to set up a new grow space and want to use a top feed system, the flora flex stuff looks very good Ive used diy drippers in the past and had a nightmare with blockages and in even waterings so what I want to know is... how reliable is the flora flex system? How many plants can be run from one res? Any pics or even descriptions of how you have yours set up would be great.

my rooms will be around 4mx3m with 8 630w cmh
And 7mx4m with 20 630w cmh

any tips on layout if you have similar sizes?

thanks in advance 🙏🏻

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Flora Flex won't do anything for blockages in your drip system. Inline filters and nute choice will solve that issue along with manifold choice, pump size ect. I've used them and now they sit on a shelf. Just another thing to wash and clean at the end of a grow and add cost per plant. They don't increase yield or do much of anything imo. If you were getting uneven waterings you either need to run more drippers or adjust the pressure/feed time. They arent used in any other big glasshouse production grows with any other plant for a reason. Maybe if running bigger pots but even then drip stakes will do the same thing. Last time I checked they aren't even using them anymore even though they made the product. Just running stakes in blocks or slabs now. If you plan on hand watering a bunch of cubes in veg for a longer period of time that can help and save on nutes but for drip naw.

I would take all that money I would spend on a system like that and put it towards dosers or running big rezs and good pumps (Leaders or Dab's) which would make your life easier in the end and make the work load lighter vs adding to it.

MrMackey

MrMackey

Flora Flex won't do anything for blockages in your drip system. Inline filters and nute choice will solve that issue along with manifold choice, pump size ect. I've used them and now they sit on a shelf. Just another thing to wash and clean at the end of a grow and add cost per plant. They don't increase yield or do much of anything imo. If you were getting uneven waterings you either need to run more drippers or adjust the pressure/feed time. They arent used in any other big glasshouse production grows with any other plant for a reason. Maybe if running bigger pots but even then drip stakes will do the same thing. Last time I checked they aren't even using them anymore even though they made the product. Just running stakes in blocks or slabs now. If you plan on hand watering a bunch of cubes in veg for a longer period of time that can help and save on nutes but for drip naw.

I would take all that money I would spend on a system like that and put it towards dosers or running big rezs and good pumps (Leaders or Dab's) which would make your life easier in the end and make the work load lighter vs adding to it.
Thanks for the detailed reply cemchris, I didn’t actually think about the cleaning of the caps that would be a pita that I don’t need however I still need a decent manifold I’m handy with diy but don’t mind outlay for something worth while, do you have any links or could you tell me how I calculate the right pressure pump for number of plants? I’ve got the run to waste part sorted in my head how I’ll build that it’s the drip lines I’m not sure on, never really seen a nice neat setup that I thought yeh that’s the way it should be!
If anyone got any pics or links on how to achieve this on a decent size scale I’ll be very thankful

Indiva710

Indiva710

How about you check out the bucket company their 10gal buckets are amazing I run their 1.2gal and 3gal buckets well I will be since I just got them and in the process of building my setup and a absolutely love them so far and I switched from a current culture rdwc system for this new one too
Here's what I have for my 2x2 cabinet with x8 1.2gal buckets in it it's my propagation cabinet and for males from time to time...Can do any style of growing with them and. Very easy to setup can use hose or PVC with ease ...Amazing company and customer service is wonderful too check em out u won't regret it....They have a 6gal bucket coming out end of July too if height Is a issue for u
IMG 20200610 134201
IMG 20200610 134210

Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
I’m looking to set up a new grow space and want to use a top feed system, the flora flex stuff looks very good Ive used diy drippers in the past and had a nightmare with blockages and in even waterings so what I want to know is... how reliable is the flora flex system? How many plants can be run from one res? Any pics or even descriptions of how you have yours set up would be great.

my rooms will be around 4mx3m with 8 630w cmh
And 7mx4m with 20 630w cmh

any tips on layout if you have similar sizes?

thanks in advance 🙏🏻
Strippers suck and clog easy with salt buildup even with a filter. I love my flora flex tops and would not go without them.
82EBFB97 F064 4A83 8F66 FE7D345276A1
61E8E713 E27B 4391 A9FB C90F37D49745

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
@Trustfall You have had drippers that have clogged w/ 1/4? I have yet to run into that unless your doing recirc. Just shitty manifolds and bubblers with shit qual control that cause issues. Sick room my dude. Stuff like what you are doing is where I can see them being beneficial. Specially since you will be washing pots already. Stuff like Hugo's though unless you are hand watering tons and tons of plants it just adds to the work at the end.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
@Trustfall You have had drippers that have clogged w/ 1/4? I have yet to run into that unless your doing recirc. Just shitty manifolds and bubblers with shit qual control that cause issues. Sick room my dude. Stuff like what you are doing is where I can see them being beneficial. Specially since you will be washing pots already. Stuff like Hugo's though unless you are hand watering tons and tons of plants it just adds to the work at the end.

I cleaned my caps really easily after the last run, I used the same technique I use for cleaning my brewing gear and threw them all in a bucket of hot oxiclean to soak overnight, next day, pulled them out rinsed them off and then soaked them in a bucket of starsan. Total workload of about 5-10 mins, no scrubbing.
I can see if I had more plants or a bigger room it would be more of a pain though.

I like the caps for a couple reasons, I feel like it sort of closes up the pot reducing the cocos exposure to the room conditions, including pests. Secondly, I really like how I can easily put yellow sticky cards on top of them. Makes pests getting into the coco far less likely. I guess I see them as more of an IPM tool than anything.

Indiva710

Indiva710

U can also run some vinegar when u need to ph down and it helps w salt build up so u can do that like 1 or 2x a week too and see how it works for ya I'll do it for my misters when I get them going on my bucket company setup I did it with my cloner and never had a issue with clogging unless it was roots and then the filter fixed that so problem solved and no clogs also depends on the nutes u use too

Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
Ya but I ran them for a few runs before I ran into problems. It would be hard to run more then one 1/4” line to each plant for me. If you have a smaller tent grow the drippers might be a good idea and there not very expensive so you could switch them out if problems arise.
I’d have to pipe in another manifold for each tray just to get two lines per pot.
I like the flora tops because they also block the light from hitting your top of the pots so no green algae and the roots grow even in the top of the coco.
Also conserve water preventing the light from drying your pots out before you get your canopy going.
It’s really nice watching them water evenly off a 1/4 in line.
A far as cleaning them I soak em over night in hot bleach water, next day take em out and spray them with a strong nozzles hose and they are clean. Takes me about 30 minutes to clean 32 of them.
If your in a tent though and your trying to grow more varieties in small pots these will take up too much space. I think they make some cheaper ones that will fit certain pots just right for space saving.
Thanks for the compliments.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Ya but I ran them for a few runs before I ran into problems. It would be hard to run more then one 1/4” line to each plant for me. If you have a smaller tent grow the drippers might be a good idea and there not very expensive so you could switch them out if problems arise.
I’d have to pipe in another manifold for each tray just to get two lines per pot.
I like the flora tops because they also block the light from hitting your top of the pots so no green algae and the roots grow even in the top of the coco.
Also conserve water preventing the light from drying your pots out before you get your canopy going.
It’s really nice watching them water evenly off a 1/4 in line.
A far as cleaning them I soak em over night in hot bleach water, next day take em out and spray them with a strong nozzles hose and they are clean. Takes me about 30 minutes to clean 32 of them.
If your in a tent though and your trying to grow more varieties in small pots these will take up too much space. I think they make some cheaper ones that will fit certain pots just right for space saving.
Thanks for the compliments.

Yup, I use the smaller square ones that fit on a 1 gal fabric pot perfectly. Fabric pot ends up round on the bottom but square on top, no big deal.
20200408 223737

Indiva710

Indiva710

Ya floraflex makes a 6 and a 4in pot I believe that has the same lids to them too which I've seen ppl do but mainly for clones etc but lol also flower in them if ur very limited on space too like a shelf grow etc

Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
I cleaned my caps really easily after the last run, I used the same technique I use for cleaning my brewing gear and threw them all in a bucket of hot oxiclean to soak overnight, next day, pulled them out rinsed them off and then soaked them in a bucket of starsan. Total workload of about 5-10 mins, no scrubbing.
I can see if I had more plants or a bigger room it would be more of a pain though.

I like the caps for a couple reasons, I feel like it sort of closes up the pot reducing the cocos exposure to the room conditions, including pests. Secondly, I really like how I can easily put yellow sticky cards on top of them. Makes pests getting into the coco far less likely. I guess I see them as more of an IPM tool than anything.
And they are freakin green! LoL I just love green! After I got these I went online looking for green trays but could only find the small rooting trays in green. What a bummer 😂
7D00F4F5 1C26 4706 9DDF F77DF7AF67F1

I veg em in two trays before I spread them to four. So I have to water with a house for a week or two and that is another benefit to them. Less compaction of the coco!

MrMackey

MrMackey

man I love you guys here <3
Indiva guna check those buckets out they sure look interesting but got a feeling they will work out to expensive for my scale of things but guna check them anyway!

trustfall that’s a sexy setup u got going on there and very similar to what I’m picturing in my head now, very much leaning towards rows of 1m x 1m danish base trays with probably 9 plants per tray

and dirtbag I’m on like page 50something of your how dirtbag do diary and soaking up knowledge like a sponge man I take my hat off to you sir and of course all the folk chiming in there uve almost got me set that I’ll be in 6 or 8l root pouches with 70/30 coco perlite

I actualy feel quite sure I’ll be doing the flora flex caps and manifolds

I know one thing for sure I won’t be doing the alien easy feed system again, had nothing but stress and unecessary hard work being bottom fed In 22l fabric pots with coco I’m sure the salt build ups are causing a lot of problems and flushing them and hoovering out the trays is such hard work

doing smaller pots top fed run to waste multiple times a day just seems so much more efficient either that or you guys making it look easy!

either way I feel inspired to start my own diary of my current spot to share and once I get the new one I’ll do that instead and hopefuly can give back something to this community

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
man I love you guys here <3
Indiva guna check those buckets out they sure look interesting but got a feeling they will work out to expensive for my scale of things but guna check them anyway!

trustfall that’s a sexy setup u got going on there and very similar to what I’m picturing in my head now, very much leaning towards rows of 1m x 1m danish base trays with probably 9 plants per tray

and dirtbag I’m on like page 50something of your how dirtbag do diary and soaking up knowledge like a sponge man I take my hat off to you sir and of course all the folk chiming in there uve almost got me set that I’ll be in 6 or 8l root pouches with 70/30 coco perlite

I actualy feel quite sure I’ll be doing the flora flex caps and manifolds

I know one thing for sure I won’t be doing the alien easy feed system again, had nothing but stress and unecessary hard work being bottom fed In 22l fabric pots with coco I’m sure the salt build ups are causing a lot of problems and flushing them and hoovering out the trays is such hard work

doing smaller pots top fed run to waste multiple times a day just seems so much more efficient either that or you guys making it look easy!

either way I feel inspired to start my own diary of my current spot to share and once I get the new one I’ll do that instead and hopefuly can give back something to this community

Awesome man, just wait till you get to the end of that diary, shits out of control in my room right now lol.. in a good way.

MiteSuck

MiteSuck

Strippers suck and clog easy with salt buildup even with a filter. I love my flora flex tops and would not go without them.View attachment 985016View attachment 985017
Couldn’t help but ask for help....
Your grow looks beautifull.
Week 2 flower feeding 2x a day at1.6
Calcium and magnesium issues visible wondering if I need to up my feed hopefully you can help a farmer out here as I’ve posted on all the forums and am not getting much feedback. I love FloraFlex this is honestly the first run I’ve had issues

F8446502 6757 4C55 9976 DCC6538D6203
6F06955D 3080 45EC BECB 9C76179DECA5
88C2164F B263 46AF 9431 3A59BEFA5B18
AE35078C C06C 474D 9B31 F43948E9F6DC
937068C6 2090 43A6 9963 A7801983F993
DB408FE5 0FDF 402D ADDA BB2405EF56C4
D2E54A61 56F2 4BF4 A329 E7DD94CE06FA
8E4408FA 9A3C 45A2 846B D1BB384F2EEF
Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
Couldn’t help but ask for help....
Your grow looks beautifull.
Week 2 flower feeding 2x a day at1.6
Calcium and magnesium issues visible wondering if I need to up my feed hopefully you can help a farmer out here as I’ve posted on all the forums and am not getting much feedback. I love FloraFlex this is honestly the first run I’ve had issues
What nutrients, ph, And what medium are you using?

Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
Flora flex dry powder nutrients
Ph solution in 5.8-6.1
70/30 coco perlite
I’m not familar with their nutrients just there water automating system parts.
Are you adding calmag already? I add it at 3ml per gallon until after the stretch.
I’d keep an eye on the watering make sure they are not getting water logged. Also how is your temps? They don’t look bad but you can see something is starting to effect them.

MiteSuck

MiteSuck

I reduced my camg over the last few watering because I thought possibly was overdueing it locking up phosphate. That was a mistake. Temps did get warm for a week-10 days and have my ac in place now.
Temps were 81-85 humidity 55-63 ish day time. Nighttime around 75 with 50-55 percent humidity. Co2 1200-1300 ppm

I’ve been irrigating twice a day and deffinately noticing not a significant dry back between watering.
Usually at this stage I can feed them feel them lighter 4 hours later before next feed that is not the case right now.
Rep told me to go up to 2.0 ec and thing should green up but I’m having a hard time believing that.

Top Bottom