Calling All Hvac Guys...

• Thread starter Slowitdown
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Slowitdown

Slowitdown

Alright guys got a tougher problem now. First off I want to say I am currently on the East coast as some of you know the temps are freezing and will be for the next five months. Anyway, for my hvac guys here is the problem. I have 4 rooftop units equaling 12 tons. I ran a couple the other day and noticed my ducts were leaking (big problem). I get on the roof and notice the pipes and coils on two of the units were frozen and looked like a bunch of snow around them. I never had a issue running AC in the winter why is this happening? What can I do to resolve?

Natural

Natural

I think it happens mostly when it's damp outdoors and right around the freezing mark or above. I would ask HookedonPonics. I believe he solved it by having a guy install a small heat pump/thermostat on the condenser coils. Don't know what your units are..but some of the splits have a winter package option to look into.
gl

Slowitdown

Slowitdown

I think it happens mostly when it's damp outdoors and right around the freezing mark or above. I would ask HookedonPonics. I believe he solved it by having a guy install a small heat pump/thermostat on the condenser coils. Don't know what your units are..but some of the splits have a winter package option to look into.
gl

Thanks but the units are not minisplits. They are 5 ton rooftop units.

Natural

Natural

Exactly @Billyboat ...Low Ambient Kit...I think is the same thing as a head pressure control switch..it uses a thermostat to operate the fan at lower speeds to control freezing. I'm thinking it will be the same fix for splits and heat pumps..just diff kit.
Hope you get her worked out Slow..I'm sure your guy can get it done.

Billyboat

Billyboat

Exactly @Billyboat ...Low Ambient Kit...I think is the same thing as a head pressure control switch..it uses a thermostat to operate the fan at lower speeds to control freezing. I'm thinking it will be the same fix for splits and heat pumps..just diff kit.
Hope you get her worked out Slow..I'm sure your guy can get it done.

Yea I'm pretty sure it's the same thing, they run like 200-250 bucks.

Cheers

A

advanced396

Top Bottom