Calmag in flowering

• Thread starter MischiefGrows
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MischiefGrows

MischiefGrows

Generally, do you use calmag all the way until flush or do you cut it out before then? Is it a constant amount the whole time or do you find that they need more during certain weeks than others?

midwestdensies

midwestdensies

I load them up initially if its new coco at around 5ml botanicare cal/mag. Into flower I slowly transition the additive out after stretch is over. I tend to add close to every feed but it's mixed up with a semi diverse feed schedule I employ

MischiefGrows

MischiefGrows

I just cut back on my feedings after stretch, to 4 ml/ from 6 and my chem 4s are now developing necrotic spots at the leaf margins. Calcium deficiency, no? Feeding around 900 ppms and can't imagine it being nutes burn as the spots developed once I lowered my feedings. I was taught to do 2:3 parts calmag to base during stretch and cut down to 1:2 afterwards until flush. And was thinking that might be a bit much. Obviously some strains will need more than others but this sounds like wayy more than anyone else responding is using. (My plants for the past 2 cycles using canna have not shown signs of deficiency or toxicity but ends up burning black so I am trying to figure out the imbalance in my plants diets)

Aladeen OG

Aladeen OG

3-5 ml per gal depending on brand, i cut it back when i stop bloom booster to 1ml/gal (which i dont think is needed unless youre running RO)

Unit541

Unit541

Even if it's a Ca deficiency, it's probably not because you're not adding enough. Have you checked runoff PH and EC? Personally, I think runoff PH is only meaningful if it comes out WAY out of wack, like 4- or 7.5+, but the EC can get pretty high. If you're giving them 2-300 ppm CalMag in a 900 ppm feed, you could end up with a 2-3000 ppm in your coco, a grand of which might just be Ca. That much calmag also comes along with more N, which they may not be wanting, depending on your base.

I tend to think that its easy to go overboard on Ca and Mg for a lot of growers in coco, just because of all the stuff they read online about it. In other words, it's easy to piss off a happy plant because we convince ourselves its not happy. I run the same thing in coco that I run in HT and DWC. I back off the Ca and N half way through flower, to make room for a bit more of everything else. Smooth sailing every time.

MischiefGrows

MischiefGrows

Yes runoff is at 6.0 and ppms are a few hundred under what I'm feeding. I see what you're saying and I'm on board it's just ironic the spots begin showing up when I drop down on my calmag.

Unit541

Unit541

If you're runoff is under what you're feeding, maybe they're just underfed. Some girls have fat asses and the need to feed to go along with 'em. My runoff's always a couple hundred higher than what goes in.

Unless you're feeding intermittently and alternating with plain water. I tend to think this is not a good idea in coco. If not, id try feeding them more. They're Chems right? These girls have the aforementioned fat asses. Are your leaf tips turning up and/or brown like a P def?

MischiefGrows

MischiefGrows

Yes and that could be it. Next week I will be using the pk 13/14 so hopefully that give them the extra p that they may be asking for. I will keep the calmag where it is.

Thanks.

los0420

los0420

I just cut back on my feedings after stretch, to 4 ml/ from 6 and my chem 4s are now developing necrotic spots at the leaf margins. Calcium deficiency, no? Feeding around 900 ppms and can't imagine it being nutes burn as the spots developed once I lowered my feedings. I was taught to do 2:3 parts calmag to base during stretch and cut down to 1:2 afterwards until flush. And was thinking that might be a bit much. Obviously some strains will need more than others but this sounds like wayy more than anyone else responding is using. (My plants for the past 2 cycles using canna have not shown signs of deficiency or toxicity but ends up burning black so I am trying to figure out the imbalance in my plants diets)

Def a cal mag def.
5-7.5 ml per gal every feeding till flush ,I usually flush for two weeks,
Plus in my five years of growing I have never checked run off in coco only worry about what you put in the feed ,there is no need to play God ,plants will use what they need,that's why it is pointless to check run off and the ph in run off is gonna be wacked out cause the medium changes constantly as plants feed and medium dries

d0rk2dafullest

d0rk2dafullest

I usually keep cal/mag untill week 6. but if my plants are starting to yellow out too fast, i'll keep it in there for another week or so. i just hate it when the deficiency signs leach onto the buds. (i've had that happen to a few plants) Makes my buds look all yellow and shit. the leaves that are in the buds start to turn yellow and the buds in turn look yellow. such a nasty look for ur buds.

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
@Aqua Man i just had a quick read through this maybe good to discuss I’m heading out to work but would like to get the bone chewed Ofer later . OD

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

@Aqua Man i just had a quick read through this maybe good to discuss I’m heading out to work but would like to get the bone chewed Ofer later . OD
It depends on the media used. In soil almost certainly you will need none.

In coco depending on source water and nutrients you may need.

In hydro again depending on source water and nutrients used you may need.

You don't want high amounts of calcium anytime. Always just what the plant needs... Now cannabis does use a lot of calcium compared to other plants. If you are deficient it's usually very easy to spot early signs.

Changing nutrient ratios is not a good idea. They should be increased and decreased in the same ratios for all nutrients IMO

Late in flower there is less need for all nutrients

Last edited:
One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Good I thought it was a good thread to revisit for the new growers thank you for your input I run mine to the 11/13 hr flower and through the stretch period then only if required by plant , if you look at leaf margin tips you can see little white dots right on tips when I see that I stop the Cal /mag first tell tale sign I always look for .

Pgilpin02

Pgilpin02

Hit with 1 teaspoon of cal mag to a gal of ro water 2 days ago. New growth doesn't show signs of calcium deficiency at present.anything I should be watching for? Next run will be 710 farms white widow feminized. Hopefully I can address these headaches before that grow

20210212 204544
DankNugz420

DankNugz420

I've been goin by the gh feed charts, they recommend you cut calmag out last feed week of flower before final flush. Cut back some before that too

Pondracer

Pondracer

I switched mediums and found myself using a lot less Calmag. Before I was running 6ml or so right up to harvest and any reduction from that caused problems. This run I am mixing at 2-2.5 ml and have not seen any deficiency so far at 28 days or so into flower. These are different variants though so that could also have something to do with it.

Top Bottom