Camera experts i need your help

• Thread starter logic
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
logic

logic

Administrator
Staff
Hey all im looking to buy a new camera this week solely for taking pics of bud.

Can anyone tell me if this cam is going to be good for taking macros? if not can someone suggest one thanks.

Brand Name: Nikon

Model: S60 Espresso Black

Optical Sensor Resolution: 10 MP

optical_sensor_technology: CCD

Optical zoom: 5 x

maximum_aperture_range: F/3.8-4.8

Minimum focal length: 5.9 millimeters

Maximum focal length: 29.5 millimeters

Lens Type: Zoom lens

optical_sensor_size: 1/2.3"

Included Flash Type: Built-in flash

Display Size: 3.5 inches

light_sensitivity: ISO 100, ISO 800, ISO 400, ISO 200, ISO 64, ISO 2000, ISO auto (64-800), ISO 3200 (5Mpix), ISO 1600

Image types: JPEG

Shooting Modes: Frame movie mode

Exposure Control Type: Landscape, Portrait mode, Close-up, Museum, Party/indoor, Back light, Beach/snow, Night portrait, Food, Fireworks, Night landscape, Dawn/dusk, Panorama assist, Copy, Sports mode, Sunset

Viewfinder Type: None

logic

logic

Administrator
Staff
Please only answer if your going to offer advice about the above camera.

:smoke

S

Stackin Paper

Actually after looking at it i don't think you can

logic

logic

Administrator
Staff
ok can anyone recommend a nice cheap macro lens to use with this camera?

thanks all

S

Stackin Paper

Can anyone tell me if this cam is going to be good for taking macros? if not can someone suggest one thanks.

You want something like this, a camera you can attatch a seperate MACRO lens to

logic

logic

Administrator
Staff
so macro lenses cant be attached to point and shoot cams

they are only for digital slr cams?

S

Stackin Paper

Expensive shit man, and this was 1 of the cheaper one's i found.

logic

logic

Administrator
Staff
Thats fine i dont mind paying 120quid for a lens

but what i need to know is: are macro lenses only for digital SLR cams or can they be used with point and click cameras

thanks

S

Stackin Paper

What you could maybe do with that cam is take close up shots and then zoom in real close, as its a 10mp it would still look good but not a macro in my eyes

T

theherbalizor

Premium Member
Supporter
You cant change lense on Compacts, that I know off.

You want to buy a cheap nikon body, a second hand d50 like mine will do. Then you need to spend a couple hundred on a Sigma DG/EX105 sigma lense. THis gets trics like I can shoot. Add a belows and some lateral flashes and youll be able to do trichome image refraction.

S

Stackin Paper

Thats fine i dont mind paying 120quid for a lens

but what i need to know is: are macro lenses only for digital SLR cams or can they be used with point and click cameras

thanks

They have a thread on them that only slr's have so yes you would need something like a nikon or sony slr to take true macro's, chat with Herbie, i got all this info from him anyways

F

FastForward

Logic - depends if you've already got a cam and want to give it macro, or just want a new cam to shoot macros with. I had a Nikon Coolpix 3300 that was amazing for macro - I've still got it here somewhere if you want it? It's only 2mpix but it's free. Let me know and I'll dig it out and post it.

Don't let anyone talk you into an aftermarket lens for a point and shoot - generally they're chinese optics and shite. Get a compact that does macro.

FWIW if I was getting a compact right now I'd get the Canon Powershot G9 (or whatever the recent one is) - it might not be cheap - about 200-300 quid, but it does 10mpix (maybe 12), great macro and shoots in RAW - which means you'll be able to do proper post processing on your trich shots (and use camera res to help your zooming). It's amazing kit if you can go for it.

Also, if you're serious, think about a 2nd hand DSLR body- a 50mm macro and extension tube will cost you less than 100 quid if you shop around....Canon 30D, 40D, 400D, 350D are all good bodies that you should be able to pick up for cheap (maybe not the 40D)...don't know Nikon equivs, sorry...

jah_hoover

jah_hoover

They have a thread on them that only slr's have so yes you would need something like a nikon or sony slr to take true macro's, chat with Herbie, i got all this info from him anyways

yeah you definatly need one of those professionla cams for proper macro shots, Logic you might aswell buy the proper cam for what you want coz the price of that cam is not far from a pro cam bro

logic

logic

Administrator
Staff
Ok guys thanks for all the advice...you can tell i know fuck all about cams lol

so can someone recommend me a cheap digital SLR and a cheap marco lens

:flower:flower

S

Stackin Paper

Im a funny fooker too, gotta have everything new, lol

Then if anything goes wrong i can't blame the person who owned it before:smoke

That Sony 1 i posted the link too is about as cheap s they come for a decent make of slr, not sure about that lens i posted a link up to though, you may want to look into the lens side some more.

jah_hoover

jah_hoover

Ok guys thanks for all the advice...you can tell i know fuck all about cams lol

so can someone recommend me a cheap digital SLR and a cheap marco lens

:flower:flower

How much you looking to spend?

I found this package on ebay for £600 with extra lens

H

Hazeseeker

Hi Logic,
i recently got a new cam as well, was in the same boat as you in that there so much to pick from, didn't have a clue which to go for,
ended up getting a Canon EOS 450D with the standard 18-55mm lens included,
i've been looking around for lenses as well, have you checked out Amazon?,
i never even realised they sold camera's, lens etc until last week,
some good prices on there for cameras and lenses, seen Macro lenses starting from around £65 upwards

peace

F

FastForward

That 450 is great kit - even has LiveView, which is kind of like having a USB microscope because you can tether the cam to your pc and then get a live cam view through the lens on the pc or the back screen. Needs manual focus but is amazing for macro work. The stock lens is a piece of shit though...get a dedicated macro, preferably a semi decent one (I've got a semi shit Sigma 50mm that does 1:2.8 and does the job fine - but if I were buying again I'd get a 100mm so I could be a bit farther away (helps shoot macros on plants in tents, saves need to pull them out)

Also macro-ists need to consider off the camera flash because of the shadows cast etc. See strobist.com for the legendary tutorials - the guy changed the way I shoot by taking flash off cam. Can be done cheaply with eBay triggers too...or get a dedicated macro ring flash at more expense.

Or...just use one of your cooler lights (blue CFLs, T5s) to light your plant up....

Latest posts

Top Bottom