Camera experts i need your help

• Thread starter logic
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

Hazeseeker

Hi FF,
what lens would you recommend for normal bud shots?, with it being my 1st SLR i find it difficult to choose which settiings to use etc when taking pics as well,
complicated compared to the normal point n shoot i used to use,
the manual you get with the cam is huge as well, like reading the bible man,
it's gonna take me ages to get used to using it

peace

F

FastForward

I've not managed to finish a grow properly yet so I've not taken any proper macros yet....I can tell you in theory, or regarding any other kind of macro photography - but I've just not got the ganja photography experience yet.

I'll cut you through all that manual in a couple of minutes:

- green mode is for total nubs and lazy people - only use in an emergency (fully auto)
- P mode is green mode for people with clue but little time to setup the shot. You'll probably use P most of the time for general shots

For macros, you'll really only use Aperture Priority mode:

- Aperture Priority (Av) - you set the aperture, the camera works out the shutter speed. For macros most of the time you'll want a BIG depth of field to be able to get it all in, so you'll want a SMALL aperture (e.g. f11). However, small aperture means less light, so you absolutely MUST have a tripod because it'll mean a longer exposure time/shutter speed.

For normal budpr0n, not macro, the same depth of field rules apply - but are easier than macros. Use Av mode, set f11 or f8 (keep ISO at 100 for quality) and a tripod.

If you want to get artier, reduce depth of field to below f8, and pick a focal point (e.g. a trich, nice bud etc) and everything else will be blurry except your subject. Not great for budpr0n because you really want to see the whole plant in context.

As for lenses, anything other than that stock lens will be better generally. I only use Canon lenses, L series for a few...but my macro is Sigma. The Canon 50mm 1.8 is an excellent lens for very little money (60-80 quid) but is a prime....so no zooming. It's PIN SHARP though....awesome kit.

MG 2878
S

sweetleaf

P

phoenix

Hey logic,i'm in exactly the same boat.I saved £300 for a dslr [entry level] then found out a new lens could cost this and more!From what i can gather from talking to shop owners and looking online the entry level body's with standard lens[18-55,except the new sony 18-70]are olympus e410 or e420 kit which includes the body,14-42 AND 40-150 for £279.Then there is the sony a200 with the best standard lens[18-70] for £289.Then nikon D40 with 18-55 lens[not ment to be very good] or a canon eos 1000d with 18-55 lens for £349.All have live view except the sony so u might wanna take that into consideration.
Olmypus macro lens from argos is
£200 new.Or there is a tamron 70-300 lens with dual function including macro[don't know if this is a true macro though]for £199 at curry's[same as sony and olympus camera's.The guy at a shop said u could get a second hand nikon D50 for £150 and on e-bay the lens are much cheaper.
If it's cool will u let me know what u plump for,cos like i say i'm in exactly the same situation-what a subject eh?good luck hunting.

S

Stackin Paper

Sup phoenix, got the number and card of a sony rep today, member of the family on the missus side, reckons he can do a200's for £215, you want 1 pm me bro and ill give you his email or whatever you want off his card.

Was well looking at getting 1 of them a200's myself but on him tonight he had a Cybershot H10, not looked into them yet but he said you can screw macro lenses on to them and it only cost him £135, 10.1mp i think it was, he is a rep remember though so obviously he gets them quite cheap, gonna go on ebay now and see how much they retail for.

P

phoenix

Hey Stackin,thats mighty helpful of ya!The only thing about the sony i am unsure over is that there is no live view[for the macro's],but then again the standard lens is better than the others-aarrghhh my head is @@@@@@! lol It's a wicked price stackin and i'm gonna give it some serious thought tonight.
The olympus kit from curry's can't be beat for price[unless your rep friend can sort anything]online from what i can gather ,cos u get the body,two lens 14-44 & 40-150 for £270.
Just been checking out amazon cos i bought some of those gigaworks t-20 speakers for the laptop and to my surprise they have camera's :
Got some good deals,like a d60 for £320.

S

Stackin Paper

See i looked at them lenses and all i see is well, lenses, lol. I think the best thing i can do is get the best camera i can afford then get the lens when i know whats gonna work with what i've got:smoke

H

hazyfontazy

They got these lens aswell

get second hand off ebay cannon or nikon ,,depreciation on cameras is worse than cars :(

if its mainly for buds ,,get the cannon g7 or similiar ,,great macro and user friendly

P

phoenix

Nice one Hazyfontazy,appreciate all the help i can get right now m8,int half a complex subject,pays to do the research and try to excercise some patience i guess,or in my case it's probably more of "if in doubt,do nout!"lol:nod

H

Hazeseeker

I've not managed to finish a grow properly yet so I've not taken any proper macros yet....I can tell you in theory, or regarding any other kind of macro photography - but I've just not got the ganja photography experience yet.

I'll cut you through all that manual in a couple of minutes:

- green mode is for total nubs and lazy people - only use in an emergency (fully auto)
- P mode is green mode for people with clue but little time to setup the shot. You'll probably use P most of the time for general shots

For macros, you'll really only use Aperture Priority mode:

- Aperture Priority (Av) - you set the aperture, the camera works out the shutter speed. For macros most of the time you'll want a BIG depth of field to be able to get it all in, so you'll want a SMALL aperture (e.g. f11). However, small aperture means less light, so you absolutely MUST have a tripod because it'll mean a longer exposure time/shutter speed.

For normal budpr0n, not macro, the same depth of field rules apply - but are easier than macros. Use Av mode, set f11 or f8 (keep ISO at 100 for quality) and a tripod.

If you want to get artier, reduce depth of field to below f8, and pick a focal point (e.g. a trich, nice bud etc) and everything else will be blurry except your subject. Not great for budpr0n because you really want to see the whole plant in context.

As for lenses, anything other than that stock lens will be better generally. I only use Canon lenses, L series for a few...but my macro is Sigma. The Canon 50mm 1.8 is an excellent lens for very little money (60-80 quid) but is a prime....so no zooming. It's PIN SHARP though....awesome kit.
Awesome info FF, thanks for taking the time to help man,
i checked out the 50mm lens you mentioned, seems they are really cheap, all the reviews on it were positive as well,
if i knew this stock lens i got with the cam (18-55mm) was so bad i would of just bought the body on it's own,
do you have any experience with the software you get with that cam? (Digital Photo Professional),
when i take pics i shoot in RAW, but have to convert them to JPEG for uploading, but for some reason i lose pic quality when i convert, am i doing something wrong or is this normal bro?

peace

F

FastForward

For diary shots that you don't care too much about, shoot in JPG - quicker and easier, but less control (but presumably you won't be editing them at all for diary shots). For budpr0n that you want to win POTM with, or just wow people, shoot RAW.

Digital Photo Pro is okay, powerful but not great. I use Adobe Photoshop - it does all the RAW conversion, and it comes with Adobe Bridge - which is a library for viewing and managing photos...which also handles RAW.

However, latest and greatest is Adobe Lightroom - it should do EVERYTHING you need and a shitload more in one package. Pros use Lightroom and Photoshop, but it should be plenty for all your needs. If you outgrow it, or need finer control, you can always go with Photoshop.

Check the torrents for Adobe Master Collection CS3 ;) (and use keyword Lynda or Lynda.com for video tutorials....also shitloads on YouTube)

P

phoenix

Hey FF,i've read that some camera's need lens with some drive or motor in them?Whats this about m8?

F

FastForward

Hey FF,i've read that some camera's need lens with some drive or motor in them?Whats this about m8?

Most manufacturers put have ultrasonic motors in their lenses to speed up focussing, and/or a gyroscopic mechanism for image stability (aka IS). IS tends to be found in higher end kit....it allows you to hand hold shots that you'd normally need a tripod for.

For canna photos though I don't think either are needed though, so don't let any shop droid talk you into spending the extra for still life macro work. Manual focus and a tripod will do everything you need, and then some....and besides, things like IS won't be effective at the shorter focal lengths typically used in macros....

B

British_Hempire

i just found this

perfect for weed use :happy

It is indeed, I have the 5700, last year's version, identical apart from the number of pixels, this new one has slightly more, but the lens and everything else is the same, takes great pics, macro mode works a treat, flash is not bad, need a bit of diffusing though, but that's true of all on-camera flashes, battery life is great, I love mine.

P

phoenix

So in essence what you guys are saying is the fuji s5800 or the next one up the s1000 are quite capable for doing the shots we want[macro]and of course the normal
kind? If thats so thats great news cos it will save me at least a couple of hundred,and thats just on a body!
Man.i love this forum for just that kind of input,no crap[of any kind],just the facts!

logic

logic

Administrator
Staff
That looks like a really good cam for 107 pound

P

phoenix

Be sure nice to only spend a one-er,rather than 250 + 150 for a lens!
If either sensi,fastfoward,hazy,sweetleaf,britishhempire etc say that this is perfectly adequate then i think thats where my money will go.

Top Bottom