Can’t sprout these 40 year old seeds 😩

• Thread starter Leeboy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Leeboy

Leeboy

My neighbor picked up some 20 and 40 year old seeds from her lake cabin friends. The 20 year old batch, I managed to sprout a few and grabbed and cloaned a female. The 40 year old batch I’m having no luck. I have soaked in 25% peroxide solution ( then papertowel) , I’ve scuffed a few , sanded a few , clipped a few with no luck at all. They are all in damp paper towel on a warm receiver . My last effort I know of , might just be to plant a few in dirt the old way. 🤔. Any other tricks I can try ? Thanks

MrGreenfinga

MrGreenfinga

My neighbor picked up some 20 and 40 year old seeds from her lake cabin friends. The 20 year old batch, I managed to sprout a few and grabbed and cloaned a female. The 40 year old batch I’m having no luck. I have soaked in 25% peroxide solution ( then papertowel) , I’ve scuffed a few , sanded a few , clipped a few with no luck at all. They are all in damp paper towel on a warm receiver . My last effort I know of , might just be to plant a few in dirt the old way. 🤔. Any other tricks I can try ? Thanks
Try dropping some in a shot glass of water never tried it but works for some

And if theyre 40 years old and wasnt kept good they are probably way dead

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Soak 24 hours,
Wet paper towel in a cd holder,
77f heating pad set at,
Let sit in paper towels Fer a few days,
None popped by then?
Take seed one at a time,
Place in mouth,
Carefully with your front teeth crack the seal,
Put back in paper towel few more days,
None popped by then?
Carefully pull seed apart,
And view anatomy,
If you find brown connection from embryo to seed, seed is no bweno

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
try soaking in fulvic acid solution too. there are research which concludes fa improves germination rates.

Leeboy

Leeboy

try soaking in fulvic acid solution too. there are research which concludes fa improves germination rates.

Soak 24 hours,
Wet paper towel in a cd holder,
77f heating pad set at,
Let sit in paper towels Fer a few days,
None popped by then?
Take seed one at a time,
Place in mouth,
Carefully with your front teeth crack the seal,
Put back in paper towel few more days,
None popped by then?
Carefully pull seed apart,
And view anatomy,
If you find brown connection from embryo to seed, seed is no bweno
Thanks for all these tips , I cracked them with my teeth (about 15 seeds) che ked after 24 hours and not a peep … I mean pop . I’ll check tomorrow again and if nothing I’ll split a few and see if I can take a picture. I still have about 30 seeds left . Saw some manual seed crackers , wonder if a dry crack could work?

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Thanks for all these tips , I cracked them with my teeth (about 15 seeds) che ked after 24 hours and not a peep … I mean pop . I’ll check tomorrow again and if nothing I’ll split a few and see if I can take a picture. I still have about 30 seeds left . Saw some manual seed crackers , wonder if a dry crack could work?
i dont think its the seed shell what keeps you from succesful germination its the 4 decades haha everything dies even seeds but try everything you can if you want those seeds to give you at least one plant.

personally what i’d do is i’d soak them in 0.2% hydrogen peroxide solution for 6 hours, rinse them off, soak them in 80mg/l fulvic solution (quoted from the research) for another 6-12 hours and put them in wet paper towels inside tupperware etc and keep in a warm place to see if anything is happening.

Leeboy

Leeboy

Sounds good! I'll get some fulvic solution when this town unthaws 🥶. My peroxide is 3% . What is the solution/mix you would like to see ?

Leeboy

Leeboy

you dilute the 3% to hit 0.2%

basically add 13mls of the 3% to 200mls of water and that should give you 0.2%
Ahhh crap. I read a few weeks back people were diluting 4-1 or 25%. Maybe I overperoxided them . I'll try your method. Thanks 🙏🏻

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
when you use higher concentrations you should keep the soak duration short afaik. but i’m always partial to low and slow approach to stuff haha

Leeboy

Leeboy

I’ll toss 4 more in a lower solution . Might be hard to find fulvic solution here on short notice

dreamnfox

dreamnfox

This is what i do, 1 drop in the cup of distilled water. Soak 12-18 hours, i like them to sink, indo swirl the cups a few times. I normally go right into soil. Heating mat set to 77. Never tried to pop something that old though

Week4Bytch

Week4Bytch

The Cannabis Karen (I'm a Bytch)
Supporter
25% peroxide? Try 3% instead.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
I’ll toss 4 more in a lower solution . Might be hard to find fulvic solution here on short notice
dont they sell powdered fulvic acid it doesnt have to be a solution. now after our interaction i read some research on cannabis seeds and peroxide and it suggests going max 1% of h2o2 solution and above that it concludes h2o2 is counterproductive.

Bilber

Bilber

I love Superthrive.....

I soak my clones in a 1/100 ratio.....1superthrive/100water.....

Lee, have you tossed them in the freezer for a little bit, then tried it......

I can't remember where, but this extinct plant/tree was the topic....

Somehow, someone found 1000 yr old seeds and a botanist found out about it....they contacted each other.....the seed finder gave this botanist a few seeds.....

The holy shit method they used, worked.....

It was a very long process that they did.......

I wish I could tell you their method......

Save a few of them seeds.....I'll go down the 🕳 and try and find it for you.....

Even if you tried their method and it didn't work, it's quite fascinating.......

It might be a while, but I'll find it for you!

Tumbleweed375

Tumbleweed375

I love Superthrive.....

I soak my clones in a 1/100 ratio.....1superthrive/100water.....

Lee, have you tossed them in the freezer for a little bit, then tried it......

I can't remember where, but this extinct plant/tree was the topic....

Somehow, someone found 1000 yr old seeds and a botanist found out about it....they contacted each other.....the seed finder gave this botanist a few seeds.....

The holy shit method they used, worked.....

It was a very long process that they did.......

I wish I could tell you their method......

Save a few of them seeds.....I'll go down the 🕳 and try and find it for you.....

Even if you tried their method and it didn't work, it's quite fascinating.......

It might be a while, but I'll find it for you!
I remember hearing about this. Maybe the metasequoia.

I hope you pop a few leeboy. I have a few really old beans i want to try to pop as well

Top Bottom