Can 1 exhaust/filter do 2 rooms?

• Thread starter JH420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
JH420

JH420

I plan to cut my current room in half and run a flip flop set-up...hopefully running half the lights at one time can save me from using my kW hungry window AC. I have 4 x 600's with adjust-a-wing reflectors (not air-cooled) and a 12" Vortex exhaust (I think 1140cfm) plus a big-ass carbon filter, similar cfm's. My room is 13' x 6', and I plan to divide it with a wall so that each room is roughly 6' x 6' and will have 2 x 600's. My idea is place that filter along the top of the dividing wall, and build a light trap type box around it...so it will be right in the middle of the 2 rooms...and then each room would have it's own passive intake. Would this work or should I just get another fan/filter?

chrometrichs

chrometrichs

I've tried this before, splitting my carbon filter for two rooms, I found it very hard to keep it light sealed. To avoid that potential hazard/disaster I would just run 2 carbon filters and fans. You might be able to vent from room A to room B and vice versa if your night time temps need to be raised a little. It can be hard balancing the temps in 2 side by side rooms, depending on where ballasts, intake fans, and the A/C is located, it def requires some dialing in.

JH420

JH420

Thanks bro...I've had enough problems with light leaks so I'll go with a 2nd filter/exhaust then.

X

Xceptional

if you dont have CO2 and the rooms are next to each other this should work.

air intake in room 1, air exhausts to room 2, room to exhausts through filter out of room. the negative pressure in room one will prevent any smell from leaking out anywhere but into room 2 where the filter is. at least this makes sense in my mind....

dmw918

dmw918

I do alot of lurkin so ill give back something because fans and filters are one biggest upfront and ongoing expenses of a grow.What I did was build a box around the filter with duct ran outside of the box connected to the intake of my fan. Then ran ducts off the box to the areas that I wanted to scrub the air in. You can use any materials you want to make the box hell cardboard would work. Just make sure you size the fan,filter,box and ductwork for the correct air changes. Heres some pics...
P1010095 Small

P1010094 Small
P1010097 Small
P1010086 Small
U

ugmjfarmer

If you build a filter box, you can pump air from wherever around your grow into that box (usually above the grow is the best location for this said box), and then pump the air out. For example, a Can Filter 150 and 12" Fan is in the box, and two vents with electronic dampers handle the air flow. In this way, the light leak problem is solved and you can use one exhaust fan.

I would not shoot the room ducts into the filter directly. The air would only filter through that small portion of carbon and the design would become ineffective quickly. You want the air to come into the box, and swirl around/mix before going into the filter so that the air has to travel around the whole filter, not just 10" of it.

Also all of these additions will load down your exhaust fan big time. OVERSIZE IT!

Filterbox
Mr.Sputnik

Mr.Sputnik

Here's the same idea framed up with drywall. this is actually 2 carbon filters, one in the room and one in the box. I don't want any smell. Putting the fan in the box on top of the carbon filter makes it whisper quiet. You don't need 2 carbon filters, but you can just run the ducting to the box. Seal it up with some great stuff (give it an hour or two to cure) and you're golden.

Top Bottom