Can a 600w or 1000w hps keep a grow room warm?

• Thread starter DazedNconfussed
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

DazedNconfussed

Hey guys, I was wondering if its possible a 600w or 1000w hps could keep a grow room warm enough through the winter....My grow space is in the basement which will get down to the 20's once in a while, but mosly high 30's, so if i wall off and insulate a 7'X7' grow room, will either of those light throw enough heat off.

I appricate any help.

convex

convex

Will heat up during day cycle but you will still need a heat source during night cycle.

D

DazedNconfussed

yeah, i didnt think about that, does anyone have an idea what size heater i should use, i have a few 1500watt floor heaters but damm thats alot of electricity....might just have to do a grow in the house...

M

Mantis

Is there any way you can draw warm air from the house down into your grow? Look for a laundry chute or something similar. If so, I'd think that a well insulated box could hold enough heat through the night. Of course, you won't know for sure until you go through the trouble of building it first.

Peace.

R

Rolln J

I use an electric oil filled radiating heater to keep the grow room warm after lights out.

its the most efficient especially when the room is warm already and the heater just has to maintain it.

P

Pistil Pete

Cold spots are a pain.
venting my veg box exhaust into my flower box at night and throwing a small floor heater in front of my flower box intakes works for me.

I use an electric oil filled radiating heater to keep the grow room warm after lights out.

its the most efficient especially when the room is warm already and the heater just has to maintain it.

I agree with J. It definitely works better when your heater is maintaining the temps not regulating it.

You could also look into a radiant heat type of flooring down there......A couple of pallets on the floor with hot water pumped through hoses could help ya out.

sedate

sedate

Mantis said:
Is there any way you can draw warm air from the house down into your grow? Look for a laundry chute or something similar. If so, I'd think that a well insulated box could hold enough heat through the night. Of course, you won't know for sure until you go through the trouble of building it first.

Rolln J said:

PistilPete said:
You could also look into a radiant heat type of flooring down there......A couple of pallets on the floor with hot water pumped through hoses could help ya out.

Wow!

I think all ya'll are making this way - and I mean way more complicated that this problem needs to be, particularly given that he's looking at a 7x7 grow space.

What I do - and anyone above please tell me why it needs to be more complicated than this - is get one of the nicer space heaters - not a heating element/reflector - something unforeseen and foliage comes in contact you'll get a fire instantly - but a fan w/ a heating coil and a temp sensor buried in a plastic case - and set it to 70. It'll never go off during the day when the HID lights come on (and if it does, bravo to your heat mangement skill), and it'll probably run most of the time at night. Use electrical tape to cover over whatever indicator lights it might have.

If I'm really on a budget, or working inside a very small sapce, get a timer and a $20 heater that you can leave set to "low" and rig the timer to go off for 15 minutes every 30/45 minutes or so.

Space appropriately from foilage.

Another cheapo fix is available from more traditional garden stores, you can get a heater wire to run through your planters to keep the roots warm - again, time appropriately.

Also, Dazed, you'll find the heat that comes off the HID lighting will not only be enough to warm the basement, but over the course of a day's growing, overheat it, 30 degrees outside or not. You need to plan for serious ventilation.

Temperature management is invariably a serious challenge with anything but the smallest of grows.

You also don't have nearly enough wattage - a 7x7 grow space is pretty substantial - 49sqf, but at that level you're down at just over 20w/sqf with a 1000w HPS.

You need to, at least, double that. I'd, and lotsa growers here, would probably triple that.

Go for at least two 1000w HPS's for that growspace, and choose large, high quality reflectors.

0MEGA

are day temps stable?
why not try using a 1000 at night and have them off during the day that way the 1000 can support them at night.

R

Radio_Dread

i agree wit omega. whats the day temps in the basement? Run the lights at night when its the coldest. that way you could use less heaters during the day. just safer to me.

J

Jalisco Kid

I think you would need to deal with rh issues also with those temp differences. JK

R

Rolln J

Wow!

I think all ya'll are making this way - and I mean way more complicated that this problem needs to be, particularly given that he's looking at a 7x7 grow space.

What I do - and anyone above please tell me why it needs to be more complicated than this - is get one of the nicer space heaters - not a heating element/reflector - something unforeseen and foliage comes in contact you'll get a fire instantly - but a fan w/ a heating coil and a temp sensor buried in a plastic case - and set it to 70. It'll never go off during the day when the HID lights come on (and if it does, bravo to your heat mangement skill), and it'll probably run most of the time at night. Use electrical tape to cover over whatever indicator lights it might have.

If I'm really on a budget, or working inside a very small sapce, get a timer and a $20 heater that you can leave set to "low" and rig the timer to go off for 15 minutes every 30/45 minutes or so.

Space appropriately from foilage.

Another cheapo fix is available from more traditional garden stores, you can get a heater wire to run through your planters to keep the roots warm - again, time appropriately.

Also, Dazed, you'll find the heat that comes off the HID lighting will not only be enough to warm the basement, but over the course of a day's growing, overheat it, 30 degrees outside or not. You need to plan for serious ventilation.

Temperature management is invariably a serious challenge with anything but the smallest of grows.

You also don't have nearly enough wattage - a 7x7 grow space is pretty substantial - 49sqf, but at that level you're down at just over 20w/sqf with a 1000w HPS.

You need to, at least, double that. I'd, and lotsa growers here, would probably triple that.

Go for at least two 1000w HPS's for that growspace, and choose large, high quality reflectors.

how the fuck is what I said complicated?

D

DazedNconfussed

what is grow area really? How do you calc it, like i want to build a 7'x7' but use a 5'x5' actual grow area inside that 7'x7'....im making it that extra 2' just to get around the grow table....ill be growing 4-6 plants for a first try....im cheating actually, buying 2 months old 2' tall clones (super silver haze, and super skunk) that area ready to go strait to flower....I figure next go around ill perhaps try to veg myself...

But great idea's....i like the idea of routing the dryer vent into the grow room, the dryer line goes right over the grow area in the basement, so iwas thinging i could route the hot air down to the ground, and create a outlet for using the existing dryer line going outside.....

Also running the lights at night...Brilliant....then im only battling the mid 50's for the most part during the day.....

and running an oil filled heater for 15 minutes every hour, like that too....great idea's all.....this is a huge help.

R

Rolln J

do not run the dryer hose into the grow room - first the dryer is not an efficient way to heat an area - second if you dry clothes your room will be dripping wet from the moisture that comes out that vent tube when your clothes are wet.

7X7 is good for a 5X5 table and buying girls ready to flip is in no way cheating - its smart!

sedate

sedate

rolln j said:
how the fuck is what I said complicated?

Heh heh no offense.

I guess I read "oil filled radiator" and it kinda gave me a safety-type shudder - but I dunno wtf you are using so maybe I'm wrong.

I think we're on the same basic page anyway - a smallish heater to keep the grow room warm . . .

R

Rolln J

nope the oil filled radiation heater is the safest electric heater ever - they make them water filled now as well but water dont stay hot as long as oil.

something like this...
5336-4b.jpg

5336-7b.jpg

sgt. schultz

sgt. schultz

second if you dry clothes your room will be dripping wet from the moisture that comes out that vent tube when your clothes are wet.

I think you would need to deal with rh issues also with those temp differences. JK

Good thinking J and JK

R

Rolln J

second if you dry clothes your room will be dripping wet from the moisture that comes out that vent tube when your clothes are wet.

yeah the old people I bought my house from didnt vent the dryer outside in wintertime to help keep the house warm - my laundry room needs to be torn out and re-done - its a moldy rotting mess! if you do that in your basement it will be all bad.

Top Bottom