can an artificial light interrupting night, ruin flowering?

• Thread starter anavarroma
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
A

anavarroma

Hey guys this is my first post and I was hoping one of you experienced growers can help. I have 2 Indica dominant hybrids about 3 months into Veg growing in pots in my backyard, the problem is that I live in an apartment complex with others and artificial light from my upstair neighbor hits my plants at night. I wanted to know it this will screw up the flowering cycle on my girls since I´ve heard they need uninterrupted darkness? The light is a normal cfl probably 60w and it hits the plant directly but from about 20 feet away. Is that light strong enough to mess up the cycles????

THANKS IN ADVANCE

C

carnivorous

I'd be more worried about people seeing my plants then the light. I cant answer that specific of a question, but when i first flowered plants i had nothing inside to light proof an the door didnt close tight, a small stream of light from the hallway hit it and it was full of seeds by the end.

P

pinekreek

night time light interuption

If you don't have a solid uninterupted period of darkness the plants will continue to veg, even when put into 12/12. If you have them on 12/12 when ready to flower and they won't, this is the problem.

I learned this from a professor in college who did a year growing at the famed Univ. of Miss. He was a biology teacher and very informative when I went to ask him this question.

P

pcduck

20 feet is pretty close to be taking the chance, unless the lights are real dim(less than full moon light). If they are in pots I would just move them to where they were not in direct line with the light.

N

Nuglover

If it's no brighter than a full moon then no worries...except the neighbors.

bigherb

bigherb

Farmer
why dont you polietly ask the neighbors too mov the angle of light a bit tell them its a bit of a bother wen you outside at nite

i think it can be a problem if the light is too intense nn outdoor lightin is usually ,but plants can adapt too street lights etc

B

boxmunch9

I would say yes it can, there are people that lengthen the veg cycle outdoors simply by waving a couple flood lights over them for a couple minutes. the red light on a power stripe can cause problems for the plants close to it. thats all the light needed to interupt flowering. But your plant doesnt exactly need 12/12 to flower, most can close too 14/10. I hope that its too far away to fuck up your shit

E

el gordo

i always heard that if you can read a book near the plant, you will have a lot of chances to f**k the flowering phase

S

SmokeMan

The light will not allow the plants to fully flower. They need 12 hours of complete darkness with no lights at all being present at night.

P

pigu

indica 15 hours

In fact only long sativa plants require 12/12 to flower...15/9 is when most indicas would begin to flower.Anyway that light is stressful for your plants and they will hermie or not flower...I don't remember where I saw a plant which was half in flo and half in veg because of a street light situated at 20 meters.The flowered portion of the plant was shaded by the wall of the house.IMO keep an eye for that light

A

anavarroma

Thanks for the quick responses guys!! The info is greatly appreciated... I guess I´m gonna have to move my girls a bit further...

MikeySeko

MikeySeko

If it's no brighter than a full moon then no worries...except the neighbors.
I have a few plants scattered throughout the yard, I have pretty bright lights in my yard and im worrying its causing a flowering problem. My plant is growing pistols and little nodules in the armpits of the branches but its already a week and a half late, I have small little clones in a certain part of the yard closer to the ground that has completely budded but it seems to be in a darker shadowed area but has clearly entered flowering stage. I can put them behind the house out of the way of the lights but then they will only get direct sunlight for the last few hours of the day. My main plant that I want to bud is in a five gallon bucket and on course to give me close to a pound so My only other option is bring it iinside but thats really a last resort. I could put a tarp over it at night to ? what do you suggest

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

You really don't want light leaks during your grow, if bright enough it can mess up your grow, autoflowers are more forgiving but I still don't allow light leak. i don't like light in my eyes when I'm going to bed, neither does your plant.

MikeySeko

MikeySeko

You really don't want light leaks during your grow, if bright enough it can mess up your grow, autoflowers are more forgiving but I still don't allow light leak. i don't like light in my eyes when I'm going to bed, neither does your plant.
On the top you can see the white yard light and street light next to it. There outdoor and i dont have an option to bring them inside

20190903 052943
20190903 051026
20190903 051048
Top Bottom