Can anyone help me identify these little bugs? Super resilient apparently....

• Thread starter Caninobis
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Caninobis

Caninobis

Hey guys,

I'm back with another freakin thread.
This time with some bugs.
Does anyone know what these little guys are? I find them under my pots and when i move the pot they go scurrying out in all directions. They're super small and appear to be black but they also seem to be extremely resilient. Mainly just concerned with whether or not they're harmless and if they aren't then how do i kill the bastards.

I sprayed the entire room down with neem oil prior to putting my plants in there. Especially the floor because i built my tent without one thinking it would be good for drainage... Stupid me.... but i also sprinkle DE all over the floor as an added precaution to make sure that nothing can survive long enough to climb up my pots and it worked really well for my last grow but these little bastards seem to be unphased by the shredding and drying power of the DE or the poisoning power of the neem oil.

Can anyone help me identify these little bugs super resilient apparently

Can anyone help me identify these little bugs super resilient apparently 2

Vagician

Vagician

If they stay in/on the soil, move fairly quickly for their size, and can jump really far then you have springtails. Not really a problem. They can actually be a sign of a healthy soil environment.

Caninobis

Caninobis

If they stay in/on the soil, move fairly quickly for their size, and can jump really far then you have springtails. Not really a problem. They can actually be a sign of a healthy soil environment.
I usually find them under the pots but they definitely jump like crazy when they’re interrupted. I’ve never found them in the soil but I’m sure they’re there. I’m not going to go too crazy trying to kill them after I read up on them cause they’re really not so bad. I just hit the ones under the pots with some vinegar as a deterrent but it’s crazy to me that they’re even surviving on a floor that is covered in neem oil and DE. You’d think that was the equivalent to like a lava pit for those guys but they’re just trucking along. They really didn’t like the vinegar though. Freakin hopping around all over the place.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

A springtail infestation is a good sign of overwatering. And are they black ? (most are white) or does the purple light make them look dark?

They are quite common. I have heard people here say they saw them jumping around on the snow outside. They like to live in the fallen leaves and eat leaf mold.

Caninobis

Caninobis

A springtail infestation is a good sign of overwatering. And are they black ? (most are white) or does the purple light make them look dark?

They are quite common. I have heard people here say they saw them jumping around on the snow outside. They like to live in the fallen leaves and eat leaf mold.
I don’t think I’m overwatering. Atleast I try really hard not to. But it did just rain and the shed I just moved all my stuff in to is surrounded by vegetation and most definitely isn’t properly sealed off so I’m thinking they were probably already living in or around the shed and found something to munch on when I moved the tent in there.

Caninobis

Caninobis

@MIMedGrower while you’re here wanna do me a solid and try and help me confirm that this is in fact a male pre flower? I’m 99% sure it is but I want to be 100% before I pull it.

47D1F06A 5273 4592 98E5 3E50759EAFC4

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

@MIMedGrower while you’re here wanna do me a solid and try and help me confirm that this is in fact a male pre flower? I’m 99% sure it is but I want to be 100% before I pull it.

View attachment 947781

Could be but too early to tell.

And sure the vegetation around the shed can bring springtails in. I read to rake the leaves away from the house in fall to help keep them away.

Honestly I had my best harvests ever when i was flooded with springtails. They are more a nuisance than anything.

Caninobis

Caninobis

Could be but too early to tell.

And sure the vegetation around the shed can bring springtails in. I read to rake the leaves away from the house in fall to help keep them away.

Honestly I had my best harvests ever when i was flooded with springtails. They are more a nuisance than anything.
Thanks for the input man I appreciate it. After I did a little digging I found out that they’re more or less harmless and fighting them is more trouble than it’s worth unless they get absolutely out of hand so I just sprayed the ones I could see with some vinegar and called it a day. It’s a little bit mind boggling hat they’re even able to survive considering they’re trudging through a layer of DE that’s sitting on top of a neem oil soaked floor. Hardy little bastards that’s for sure.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Thanks for the input man I appreciate it. After I did a little digging I found out that they’re more or less harmless and fighting them is more trouble than it’s worth unless they get absolutely out of hand so I just sprayed the ones I could see with some vinegar and called it a day. It’s a little bit mind boggling hat they’re even able to survive considering they’re trudging through a layer of DE that’s sitting on top of a neem oil soaked floor. Hardy little bastards that’s for sure.

Sites like Orkin and other pest companies suggest pretty harsh stuff to kill them. They are unaffected by most pesticides. They are present in thousands in most yards of topsoil. Super common. I read a lot when i first saw the jumpy suckers.

Glad to be of help. :-)

Caninobis

Caninobis

Sites like Orkin and other pest companies suggest pretty harsh stuff to kill them. They are unaffected by most pesticides. They are present in thousands in most yards of topsoil. Super common. I read a lot when i first saw the jumpy suckers.

Glad to be of help. :-)
Hey you run a perpetual garden right? If I wanted to get started on a perpetual and harvest every 4 weeks let’s say. Would that mean that all I have to do is continuously start new plants every weeks. So like right now my plants are about 6 weeks old if I started another set in theory I’d have 2 harvests 6 weeks apart and I’d just keep running them like that? Is that the basic jist of it?

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Hey you run a perpetual garden right? If I wanted to get started on a perpetual and harvest every 4 weeks let’s say. Would that mean that all I have to do is continuously start new plants every weeks. So like right now my plants are about 6 weeks old if I started another set in theory I’d have 2 harvests 6 weeks apart and I’d just keep running them like that? Is that the basic jist of it?

Sure lots of ways to do it. Timing is always tough. I start a seed or root a clone or two about every 10 days. And harvest about the same but it does get out of wack. Sometimes a delay in harvests. Sometimes no veg plant teady to plug into the open space in the flower room. And sometimes way too much veg plants and no room for them. Also i have to mix seperate gallons of feed for all the different stage plants and different strains and crosses.

Its fun and productive but a lot of work.

Easiest way is to veg a plant 8 weeks (known 8 week cutting) and flower it 8 weeks while the new cut is growing its 8 week veg.

I learned it in the ed rosenthal grow book.

Top Bottom