Can Anyone help me Identify this Substance

• Thread starter Salt
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Salt

This was in a plain brown bag labeled gypsum. I cannot find an image on the internet that is labeled gypsum that resembles this. Can anyone help me identify this?
Can anyone help me identify this substance

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

That could easily be gypsum, though if it is, it probably has coatings of organic matter or iron oxides on the surface.

Gypsum is colorless. If it's mixed or coated with even a small amount of a substance that has color, it takes on that color

S

Salt

That could easily be gypsum, though if it is, it probably has coatings of organic matter or iron oxides on the surface.

Gypsum is colorless. If it's mixed or coated with even a small amount of a substance that has color, it takes on that color
Thank you. Unless gypsum is another name for sulphate of potash I'm going to have to go with SoP. The first image is what I have the second is labeled SoP image mysticpipedon found on
Since I'm growing in containers I have to be sure of what I'm adding so I'm going to set that and use it the garden.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Gypsum is calcium sulfate. Potassium sulfate, if you get it from a lab, is also white. The color is some kind of coating.

Color of granules is not always a good way to identify an unknown substance. See how well it dissolves in water. If it doesn't dissolve much, it's gypsum.

Homesteader

Homesteader

Looks like it could be gypsum to me. FYI- Gypsum will turn white when heated after a few minutes. Potash wont.

BorealCuring

BorealCuring

Supporter
Sulfate of potash.
Nope. Potash is red/orange, and white if manufactured.

I've had it rounded like that, but that was because it was handled quite a lot so it was rounded simply because it was tumbling around.

Here's this years supply I just got. Notice how it isn't rounded and more "cracked".

Look at the source of your brown paper bag. But Gypsum is pretty cheap. Get some from a garden center or coop if you're not sure.

Latest posts

Top Bottom