Can anyone identify these deficiencies

• Thread starter AquaReefer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
A

AquaReefer

Hey guys and gals I'm doing dwc with Seedsman White Widow feminized seeds. My plant has been showing deficiencies which look like cal/mag/potassium/phosphorus. I'm a total newb this is my first grow so I could and most likely am wrong in my diagnosis . Here are some stats.

Temp: 75-79
Co2 ppm:800
Rh:60
Light: 600 Hortilux in a blockbuster 6 cooled with a 6inch valuline with a lumatek ballast.

Hydro rdwc bubble bucket a la Rumpleforeskin.4 sites filled with 3.5 gallons and a 5 gallon rez filled to 3.5 gallon. I use rodi water with 0 ppms. I add 7 ml of botonicare cal/mag plus then turn on my pump and mix. I then use the Lucas formula at 8 ml per gallon mix micro and finally16 ml per gallon flora.

Ventilation is controlled by a 6inch valuline exhaust on a cap 66 filter. Intake is a 4inch valuline. These along with the co2 are controlled by a CHHC 1.

My plants are 1.4 feet high and I was going to flip to 12/12 at 1.6 for a Target height of 4.5. I ran into a problem when my ballast took a dump and the clones where at full strength nutes and I had to switch from my 600 hps to 4 100 watt (26 actual) cfl on two plants and a 90 watt reef power compact light on the other 2. They all grew healthy even at full strength. I got my ballast back last Saturday so they been in veg for about 9 days.

I've noticed that the bottom leaves on all plants are showing yellow/brown spots like a phosphorus deficiency. New growth is showing yellow edges like a cal deficiency. Only one leaf on one plant is yellowing from the edges. It still shows green veins which indicates potassium I think. I checked for pests and cannot find any. I have doctor doom (sp) spray and fogger just in case.

I change nutes every 10 days. I last switched out on Thursday. When I mix I usually get a solution at 4.9 oh so I adjust. Well I put too much ph up and my ph went up to 6.0 so I used the ph down powder and got it to a ph of 5.5 where it is at now. I'm thinking I used too much ph up and down and that it may be causing nutrient lock. I am making rodi water now and am going to flush for half a day to a day. Is this ok? Do I have to throw that water out and them make new rodi and mix nutrients in? Here are some pics. Thanks in advance and feel free to ask about anything I may have missed. Happy growing!

http://i.invalid.com/K8Zte.jpg

http://i.invalid.com/1uRg8.jpg

http://i.invalid.com/DvpFB.jpg

http://i.invalid.com/Xry95.jpg

http://i.invalid.com/1u9uc.jpg

sedate

sedate

AquaReefer said:
I'm a total newb this is my first grow so I could and most likely am wrong in my diagnosis . Here are some stats.

Um. You are doing *very* well.

And nice job on the all the info in your post. No guess work here - although a PPM or EC reading would be useful.

I actually think you might be a tad low.

A couple of things:

1) You'll find random leaves - especially lowers with poorer light penetration - will randomly yellow off and die. If it isn't a plant-wide thing - think shedding.

Shit like that second to last pic - just pick that fucker off don't worry about it.

2) Raise your pH a tad. Adjust it to 5.8 once a day.

3) Mix a foliar with a complete NPK/micro-nute package @ 400 ppm @ a pH of 6.2ish - raise your light and spray once a day.

4) You do NOT want your plants 4.5 feet high with a 600w overhead light. I would flip them at 12ish inches.

AquaReefer said:
I ran into a problem when my ballast took a dump

Fucking lumateks.

A

AquaReefer

Um. You are doing *very* well.

And nice job on the all the info in your post. No guess work here - although a PPM or EC reading would be useful.

I actually think you might be a tad low.

A couple of things:

1) You'll find random leaves - especially lowers with poorer light penetration - will randomly yellow off and die. If it isn't a plant-wide thing - think shedding.

Shit like that second to last pic - just pick that fucker off don't worry about it.

2) Raise your pH a tad. Adjust it to 5.8 once a day.

3) Mix a foliar with a complete NPK/micro-nute package @ 400 ppm @ a pH of 6.2ish - raise your light and spray once a day.

4) You do NOT want your plants 4.5 feet high with a 600w overhead light. I would flip them at 12ish inches.

Fucking lumateks.

Hey Sedate thanks for the help its much appreciated. Idont have a ppm /ec meter. I am doing the lucas top off method which just calls for water top off and ph control. The reason I know the ppm for my rodi is because the system came with one built in. im going to invest in one though no reason not to.

1. Ok cool. It is only one leaf that dried out, I just plucked it. Thanks for the piece of mind. The shedding anology really helped me understand.

2. Awesome from now on I will adjust to 5.8 daily thanks

3. Im a bit confused here let me see if I follow along if not please set me straight on this. For npk micro nute im guessing I would mix a watered down solution of cal/mag with teace elements, some micro and some bloom. Im going to look at the imstructions and online to see if there is a.formula so I know how many ml together would equal 400 ppm. Now when I spray I just raise my light and spray the whole plant or just the underside. Also do I spray enough to coat the leaves or just so the plant is hit with the mist. Also how long do I let sit before lowering my light?

4. I am doing scrog now. The netting will be right in the middle at 2 feet with 1.5 feet getting direct light. With the cooled hood I can get it about 6 inches from the light even though I think I can have it closer I will err on the side of caution not sure if it makes a difference but I just put them in darkness and will start my 12/12 tonight thanks.

Yeah after purchasing my lumatek I read all the horror stories. Lumatek took care of my but I cant imagine having a ballast go out in the middle of flower. Thanks again for your response it was very informative and helpful. If you can elaborate on the foiliar feeding further I would really appreciate it. Thanks again

A

AquaReefer

I also have thrive alive b1 if that makes a difference

A

AquaReefer

I just figured out the formula for foiliar spray. I did 3ml micro 6ml bloom and 1 ml cal mag plus to get my ppm at around 400.

sedate

sedate

AquaReefer said:
Im a bit confused here let me see if I follow along if not please set me straight on this. For npk micro nute im guessing I would mix a watered down solution of cal/mag with teace elements, some micro and some bloom. Im going to look at the imstructions and online to see if there is a.formula so I know how many ml together would equal 400 ppm. Now when I spray I just raise my light and spray the whole plant or just the underside. Also do I spray enough to coat the leaves or just so the plant is hit with the mist. Also how long do I let sit before lowering my light?

Um.

Okay your "NPK" refers to Nitrogen-Phosphorus-Potassium - or your three big building blocks for your plants' nutrient needs.

A "micro-nute" package generally refers to Cal-Mag - and the assortment of trace micro-nutes - like Boron, Sulfur, Zinc, Molybdenum - shit your plant needs but in very small amounts.

Anyway - this:

AquaReefer said:
I did 3ml micro 6ml bloom and 1 ml cal mag plus to get my ppm at around 400.

..should be just right. Maybe 3ml micro, 3ml bloom, and 3ml cal-mag would be my adjustment there. pH the spray to 6.0 - 6.5ish.

When you spray, raise your light a good two feet off the canopy - wait until the plants dry - and then lower the light back down.

AquaReefer said:
I am doing scrog now. The netting will be right in the middle at 2 feet with 1.5 feet getting direct light. With the cooled hood I can get it about 6 inches from the light even though I think I can have it closer I will err on the side of caution not sure if it makes a difference but I just put them in darkness and will start my 12/12 tonight thanks.

It is really strain dependent - your plant looks like it is probably an indica or indica dominant - but the post-flip-growth can be really explosive - especially in a hydrobucket.

Uh - keep your light as close to the canopy as you can - with a cannon fan, a 600, and a blockbuster 6" sounds about right.

Even small increases in distance - like a few inches - can have a rather dramatic effect on the amount of radiation that reaches your canopy.

Here, have a read:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverse-square_law

A

AquaReefer

Cool thanks. I figured that was npk I just don't want to screw anything up lol. I'm going to wait for this spray to run out and then I'll switch to your formula. I began foliar feeding yesterday. I dimmed my light to 360w and raised it a few feet. I'm going to keep it up and see how they like it. Thanks soo much for your help and your knowledge is very much appreciated.

BlackBart

BlackBart

I think you figured it out when you said you were changing your PH . That's what it looks like to me . You should be fine once you get it stable.

A

AquaReefer

I think you figured it out when you said you were changing your PH . That's what it looks like to me . You should be fine once you get it stable.

Awesome thanks a lot! I had no idea ph fluctuations could reek this much havoc. In going to be more careful in the future.

Top Bottom