Can Anyone Identify This Little Bastard?

• Thread starter k1w1ed
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
k1w1ed

k1w1ed

Have started to find several of these winged invaders in veg room.mostly running around till poked at then flying around.
Harmful or not they are there for a reason so what's the best" healthiest" for my girls way to kill the little f''ers.
Sprayed azamax garden 2 weeks ago and exterminated spider mites now this little bastard and his cohorts have started to show up.
Can anyone identify this little bastard
Can anyone identify this little bastard 2
Can anyone identify this little bastard 3

MajorPrune

MajorPrune

Fungus gnats I'd say. Search the forum there are great posts on control. They hatch in the roots. You might be over watering. Find Predatory Nematodes and sticky traps.

H

happy b

Get some sticky yellow traps first as identification is key.it looks like it COULD also be a an aphid.the difference is all the world.fg are easy to get rid of or atleast to control but aphids are a whole different ball game.
get sticky traps up and get the scope over an intact one to help identify.if its got to wee like exhaust pipes on each side at the back its aphids if its only got one it could be fg.
youl need to do some reading my friend.

Topofthecrop

Topofthecrop

Spraying one product for spider mites won't get rid of them. You have to spray at least three, on three different weeks. Then straight water to rinse. But that looks like fungus gnats. You should do a root drench with the azamax and spray the top of soil randomly. Azamax works for my gnat issues. Good luck!

ShroomKing

ShroomKing

Best of luck. Peace
If it looks like a mosquito, it's a fungus gnat.
They are a nuisance pest that don't really hurt mature healthy plants, but can ruin seedlings. And if they become an infestation they can cause deficiency symptoms and fill your sticky flowers with carcasses. Yuck.

Don't overwater!
Best of luck.
Peace

k1w1ed

k1w1ed

Get some sticky yellow traps first as identification is key.it looks like it COULD also be a an aphid.the difference is all the world.fg are easy to get rid of or atleast to control but aphids are a whole different ball game.
get sticky traps up and get the scope over an intact one to help identify.if its got to wee like exhaust pipes on each side at the back its aphids if its only got one it could be fg.
youl need to do some reading my friend.
I have the traps hanging and the 4 caught were to fooled up to scope...hopefully catch one worth scoping so I can check out the pipes....that's exactly what I needed to find out to identify them myself cheers...
Shite I need to read also... I'm going back to my day job! Shite! This is my day job!
Seriously going to study up on the Whats, Why's, & how to's soon as I find out what they are,,, cheers for your input

3N1GM4

3N1GM4

Put an inch or so layer of sand or perlite on top of your soil, if they cant get to the soil they will go somewhere else to lay their eggs.

GrowGod

GrowGod

BANNED!
Supporter
Spraying one product for spider mites won't get rid of them. You have to spray at least three, on three different weeks. Then straight water to rinse. But that looks like fungus gnats. You should do a root drench with the azamax and spray the top of soil randomly. Azamax works for my gnat issues. Good luck!
does montereys work as a root root drench for fungus gnat lavea like the spinosad?

k1w1ed

k1w1ed

I was being lazy with my cell phone two thumb typing syndrome... I also hit them with central coast "green cleaner" & Bon neem soap which has worked, have not seen any for 4 weeks.
Would the amount running off the plant not soak through the soil enough to get fg's....I sprayed the girls down pretty hard under the green light it is hard to judge volume till they start laying down. Dhoop!

kbellfoy

kbellfoy

Iv just got the FG's pretty bad too. I'm full organic so iv ordered some BT. All natural. Same as what's in mosquito bits or dunks but a lot cheaper over here in the UK. It's supposed to kill FG's pretty quick. I think iv got em as iv mulched this time so my soil never quite dries out. The pots I haven't mulched don't have em.

3N1GM4

3N1GM4

If you top dress with a thick layer of some aquarium gravel or sand after you treat with whatever they wont come back as bad.

kbellfoy

kbellfoy

If you top dress with a thick layer of some aquarium gravel or sand after you treat with whatever they wont come back as bad.

Ah right. Iv just used them clay ball thingies. I have some small course gravel will that be ok? Thank you for the info :D

3N1GM4

3N1GM4

Anything that keeps them from the soil will work, a cut off piece of pantyhose or stocking pulled up over the bottom of the pot and then tied loosly around the stem is supposed to work too, and you can just pull it off to water. Make sure to treat b4 using pantyhose or they might breed under it.

kbellfoy

kbellfoy

Anything that keeps them from the soil will work, a cut off piece of pantyhose or stocking pulled up over the bottom of the pot and then tied loosly around the stem is supposed to work too, and you can just pull it off to water. Make sure to treat b4 using pantyhose or they might breed under it.

Thank you for that :D

H

happy b

Does anyone here with a Fg infestation live in the UK?
i have a number for natural predators.they eat the FG larvea pretty fast plus its all natural and fairly cheap.within a week youl see a difference.and DONT just ignore the fg as theyl just get worse and eventually they will get so bad your plants will stop growing almost completely.as mine did.i used a combination of natural predators for the larvea and sticky traps and DE.de is a pain as it gets washed away wen you water the plants so now i feed from underneath so the diatoms dont get washed away.

3N1GM4

3N1GM4

DE works great as a top dressing but it is a pain to water with it. I would scoop it off, water, let dry with fan, replace DE. Sand or perlite is much easier.

H

happy b

DE works great as a top dressing but it is a pain to water with it. I would scoop it off, water, let dry with fan, replace DE. Sand or perlite is much easier.
But they dont work anywere near as good.if u only have a couple of plants its not too bad useing de and water from below.infact i find i have better roots wen i water from below.
I tell u whats even better..get some ladies stockings and use them to cover the top of the pot and use something to hold it inplace around the stem of the plant.it creates a net that blocks the fg getting to the top of the soil.plus you can water through it or just remove it then put it back.iv heard it works great and i,ll be doin it once my de runs out.

3N1GM4

3N1GM4

Just make sure to treat with gnatrol or something first if you already have fgs because if you put stockings over infested soil it might make a perfect little fg habitat. Open it to water and a swarm of thousands of them hit you in the face as you breathe in a few hundred.. ok maybe im exagerating a little

kbellfoy

kbellfoy

Just make sure to treat with gnatrol or something first if you already have fgs because if you put stockings over infested soil it might make a perfect little fg habitat. Open it to water and a swarm of thousands of them hit you in the face as you breathe in a few hundred.. ok maybe im exagerating a little

Iv just got some BTi to kill em then stockings are coming out. If I hadn't got that coming I would have taken up your offer happy b.

Latest posts

Top Bottom