Can anyone identify this problem?

• Thread starter nemgrower202
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
nemgrower202

nemgrower202

I am using distilled water for my plants because the tap water is too warm and I suspect I have calcium defiency in my plants. Can someone take a look at this pic and let me know if that's what it is?
Thanks

Can anyone identify this problem
Greenjourneyman

Greenjourneyman

Definitely a deficiency.
Start with a low dose of cal / mag if that makes them better awesome!
It not move onto some of the other micro nutrients.

Coltivtor

Coltivtor

What’s growing on family? Distilled water has no micro nutrients this is you issue and easy fix. What is the temperature of the water from tap?

FB10E475 E669 43FA BC44 ED72878C9256
4C9F6DC1 38C7 498E 9FDB F49A4AE6E2F8
Last edited:
Coltivtor

Coltivtor

The water being to warm does risk inoculating certain mycelium and fungi along with disease,so you definitely right to be cautious of water temperature.try purchasing a bag of ice To bring your temps up I would test ice melt first. Our tapwater has the micro trace elements that are on a extremely small level so it will be difficult for you to fix issue unless you just use your tapwater and modify temps manually. Number one reason why I think its Micro nutrients is due to chlorosis visibility in new growth.

Last edited:
nemgrower202

nemgrower202

Definitely a deficiency.
Start with a low dose of cal / mag if that makes them better awesome!
It not move onto some of the other micro nutrients.
I used cal max went through 10 liters in 2 weeks. Switched to canna calcium 3 days ago, it's 4x stronger. Still yet to see an improvement

Flexnerb

Flexnerb

Stop using distilled water. You shouldnt drink it ergo you shouldnt give it to your plants...it leaches nutrients from the plant!!

Stop using it. Make/buy ice! Or freeze jugs bottles of water and cool your water that way either way quit using distilled water

Flexnerb

Flexnerb

I used cal max went through 10 liters in 2 weeks. Switched to canna calcium 3 days ago, it's 4x stronger. Still yet to see an improvement

Most cal mag supplements do not alkalize your water to help buffer....cal mag nutrients/supplements do not buffer your water... putting cal mag in distilled water isnt going to do any good...im sure disstilled water pulls nutrients out of living things..i could be wrong though

nemgrower202

nemgrower202

I am using 500 liters of water each time I irrigate them. I cannot cool down a 500 liter reservoir.
Unfortunately my tap water is 30c.
Would it be too risky to use the warm tap water? im worried about fungus and root rot.

Last edited:
Flexnerb

Flexnerb

I am using 500 liters of water each time I irrigate them. I cannot cool down a 500 liter reservoir.
Unfortunately my tap water is 30c.
Would it be too risky to use the warm tap water? im worried about fungus and root rot.

I wouldnt...can you freeze jugs of water? That will cool it too. Get som insulation around, under, and on top of your rez drop in the frozenwater filled containers

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Most cal mag supplements do not alkalize your water to help buffer....cal mag nutrients/supplements do not buffer your water... putting cal mag in distilled water isnt going to do any good...im sure disstilled water pulls nutrients out of living things..i could be wrong though

Excellent point about alkalinity that is easily overlooked by most growers. Some calmag brands do use calcium carbonate that will buffer but most seem to use calcium nitrate that doesnt. Easiest way around this is to add some tap water to the distilled, mix it 60/40 distilled/tap or something like that to hit around 0.2ec. That should buffer the water adequately. As for temperature, if it's too high put ice cubes in it before you water. Gotta do what ya gotta do...

nemgrower202

nemgrower202

Excellent point about alkalinity that is easily overlooked by most growers. Some calmag brands do use calcium carbonate that will buffer but most seem to use calcium nitrate that doesnt. Easiest way around this is to add some tap water to the distilled, mix it 60/40 distilled/tap or something like that to hit around 0.2ec. That should buffer the water adequately. As for temperature, if it's too high put ice cubes in it before you water. Gotta do what ya gotta do...
Man, thats going to be a lot of ice cubes to cool down 500 liters.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Man, thats going to be a lot of ice cubes to cool down 500 liters.
Sorry I missed that part. What you could do is make an immersion chiller to put inline on the hose that fills your res. Get about 25' of 1/2" copper tubing and coil it around a bucket, then attach a garden hose to each end. Fill a big bucket with ice water and put the copper coil in it and flow the tap water through the chiller, the water will come out the other end much colder.

nemgrower202

nemgrower202

Sorry I missed that part. What you could do is make an immersion chiller to put inline on the hose that fills your res. Get about 25' of 1/2" copper tubing and coil it around a bucket, then attach a garden hose to each end. Fill a big bucket with ice water and put the copper coil in it and flow the tap water through the chiller, the water will come out the other end much colder.
Ah great, ill give it a try. ill see if i combine the distilled water with the tap water if it will lower it sufficiently as well.
this is such a headache, i never used to have this kind of problem before in canada

HydroGroChamp

HydroGroChamp

If you're in soil
Or your base has calmag in it
Or your water isnt distilled

Do NOT USE CALMAG
Stop it
Period
If your soilless or your base doesnt contain it, add calmag

Beyond that, check environmentals

Lastly
Overwatering is the MOST COMMON issue and once the roots start to have issues it'll make you see ALL KINDS of deficiencies. But the nutrients are there.

Due to overwatering your plant just wont take them up.
Its nearly ALWAYS too much water

HydroGroChamp

HydroGroChamp

Ah great, ill give it a try. ill see if i combine the distilled water with the tap water if it will lower it sufficiently as well.
this is such a headache, i never used to have this kind of problem before in canada
Also
Go get a product like Microbe Life phtosynthesis plus. It'll fill your roots with bennies and I run a 72F reservoir with 0 issues

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I'll also put it out there, that to my eyes those buds look like they are full of seeds.. You may have caused stress hermies, or missed a hermaphrodite plant somewhere in the garden. I'd break one of those buds apart and have a peek.

HydroGroChamp

HydroGroChamp

I'll also put it out there, that to my eyes those buds look like they are full of seeds.. You may have caused stress hermies, or missed a hermaphrodite plant somewhere in the garden. I'd break one of those buds apart and have a peek.
He's right
Now that i think about it

Madmax

Madmax

Is it true when giving plants water is to have it around 22deg for the plants to uptake the nutes better?

Cheer max

Flexnerb

Flexnerb

Can you freeze 5 or 6 gallon jugs of water? Try that...

nemgrower202

nemgrower202

I'm using drip irrigation in rockwool, I let the drippers run until I have runoff.
I water them every other day, if I wait longer they wilt a bit.
I found a solution, I have a room that is at 23c I will fill up a few tanks with water and keep them there overnight and let the water cool.
As for the seeds, good catch. Yes I am producing seeds in there not buds :)

Top Bottom