Can carbon filter / max fan help

• Thread starter kushmusic420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

kushmusic420

My friend has a 2000 watt grow and he wants to get a can 150 filter with a max fan. He just does not knw which can filter to get a 10 inch 12 or 14 inch fan . And from research on google the 12inch and 14inch fan is the quietest fan but u need a can fan speed controller which is $210. But the 10inch does not need this but it's real loud . So he is thinking 12" or 14" because he wants it a quiet as possible . does anyone own a max fan and can tell me which fan he should get . Money is kind of a issue cuz he has to buy a few things but wants to put good money into control of Oder and sound proof as well !! Here is the controller we found

treebark1950

treebark1950

I run can 125's with 10 max fans and duct mufflers and they are pretty quiet.

Can he run a duct muffler? Like 120 bucks. CanFan makes a big muffler that fits perfectly on the 10" max fan without an adapter needed, and it quiets em down real nice.

I've only ever had one issue out of a max fan and it was the 12" model, learned real quick that they require the Can Speed Controller and a normal speedster will burn the Fan up.

I have too been told that the 14 is quieter then the 10 but I do not know for fact.

Dz1PnK

Dz1PnK

Can 150 with a 12" vortex h/o, works like a charm...

It's loud, I'm sitting 5' away from it right now

SAMCRO

SAMCRO

My 12 Inch Max Fan does not have a muffler yet and it's loud. I would for sure spend the money on a 14" and a muffler for a quieter room. Personally I think the CAN 150 for your room on 2000 watts is over kill. But thats me.

K

kushmusic420

I run can 125's with 10 max fans and duct mufflers and they are pretty quiet.

Can he run a duct muffler? Like 120 bucks. CanFan makes a big muffler that fits perfectly on the 10" max fan without an adapter needed, and it quiets em down real nice.

I've only ever had one issue out of a max fan and it was the 12" model, learned real quick that they require the Can Speed Controller and a normal speedster will burn the Fan up.

I have too been told that the 14 is quieter then the 10 but I do not know for fact.
Tanks a lot for ur reply but if My friend buys the can speed controller do u think it's worth it ?? He wants it big now cuz he plan on upgradeing in the future!!

K

kushmusic420

My 12 Inch Max Fan does not have a muffler yet and it's loud. I would for sure spend the money on a 14" and a muffler for a quieter room. Personally I think the CAN 150 for your room on 2000 watts is over kill. But thats me.
Hey samcro thanks for the tip do u run the can speed controller for ur 12"

SAMCRO

SAMCRO

No fan speed contoller used and i have massive insullation and thick drywall in my sealed enviroment. no smell gets out but you can sure hear that max fan running all day and night.

treebark1950

treebark1950

Tanks a lot for ur reply but if My friend buys the can speed controller do u think it's worth it ?? He wants it big now cuz he plan on upgradeing in the future!!

Totally worth it IMO, supposedly the motor in the 12 Max fan is a coreless motor that runs at a different frequency that is sensitive to speed controls, the Can Speed control is designed for that fan and will work just fine. I just was happier with a Duct Muffler because if your slowing it down you are losing some CFM and some of the awesome scrubbing power.

If he is wanting to go this route then I would def do the 14" as he will slow it down to a level similar to that of the 10-12 as far as CFM goes.

I still would recommend a duct muffler over the speed control, IMO.

I have 6 can 125's/Max Fan 10's with duct mufflers and they are quieter than my 6"'s that help to cool some extra lights...

K

kushmusic420

No fan speed contoller used and i have massive insullation and thick drywall in my sealed enviroment. no smell gets out but you can sure hear that max fan running all day and night.

Ok my friend says thanks to everyone here at the farm. he will go with the 14" and he wants to buy the speed controller as well!! As far as a muffler go does any one knw what brand to use that will wrk for the 14" max fan ?? Google a few but no luck .

K

kushmusic420

Totally worth it IMO, supposedly the motor in the 12 Max fan is a coreless motor that runs at a different frequency that is sensitive to speed controls, the Can Speed control is designed for that fan and will work just fine. I just was happier with a Duct Muffler because if your slowing it down you are losing some CFM and some of the awesome scrubbing power.

If he is wanting to go this route then I would def do the 14" as he will slow it down to a level similar to that of the 10-12 as far as CFM goes.

I still would recommend a duct muffler over the speed control, IMO.

I have 6 can 125's/Max Fan 10's with duct mufflers and they are quieter than my 6"'s that help to cool some extra lights...
Ok so he don't really need that speed controller he can just go with a muffler and run that fan all day?? What brand muffler do u use for ur 10 " fan and do they make a muffler to fit the 14"?

treebark1950

treebark1950

I have several of the Can Mufflers and then I also have the mufflers from the supplier BWGS, not sure what brand they are. I like the ones from BWGS better as they aren't as tall, but they only go up to 12". You could always get a 14" to 12" adapter.

Hope that helps

K

kushmusic420

I have several of the Can Mufflers and then I also have the mufflers from the supplier BWGS, not sure what brand they are. I like the ones from BWGS better as they aren't as tall, but they only go up to 12". You could always get a 14" to 12" adapter.

Hope that helps

Do u think this muffler would wrk????

S

smalltime99

Couple things to remember, once you connect mufflers and filters you lower the cfm alot! So some of these silencers and others might not work as well or might affect the airflow.

K

kushmusic420

Couple things to remember, once you connect mufflers and filters you lower the cfm alot! So some of these silencers and others might not work as well or might affect the airflow.

Thanks, but even if He gets the 14" max fan and a can 125 filter. And a can speed controller because he does not want to spend the all his money. The lights are growstar so not a cool tube or cool hood. That's y the fan is so big !!!

treebark1950

treebark1950

Do u think this muffler would wrk????

I've never seen that before so I can't say yes or no but that's hella expensive if it was that or a speed control I'd prolly just grab a speed control.

I don't see any specs on Can Muffler's Website about getting a muffler for a 14".

So I would grab something like this and then grab a 14" to 12" reducer and you should still be under the $200 dollar mark, if you wanna go with the duct muffler.

Its gonna be a toss up but if he has the vertical height I'd grab a can 150 over the 125 if your gonna rock a 14" fan. More carbon is always nice. But that sucker is like 5 feet tall, plus a fan, add another 14 or so inches, plus a muffler and your 10' tall.

And a Speed Control would def work well.

I have also quieted down several large fans with something as simple as insulated ducting from Home depot. Just cut a piece 6-8' and bam a super cheap duct muffler. Doesn't quiet it down as much but pretty darn close.

I can't rock anything taller then a 125 because after I put the fan and muffler and then a 90 on it to direct the air I am like 9 feet tall and I'll hit my ceiling.

I would say try the insulated ducting first and it may be quiet enough especially if the 14 is that much quieter then the 10's I rock. And that is super cheap compared to a muffler or a speed control.

K

kushmusic420

I've never seen that before so I can't say yes or no but that's hella expensive if it was that or a speed control I'd prolly just grab a speed control.

I don't see any specs on Can Muffler's Website about getting a muffler for a 14".

So I would grab something like this and then grab a 14" to 12" reducer and you should still be under the $200 dollar mark, if you wanna go with the duct muffler.

Its gonna be a toss up but if he has the vertical height I'd grab a can 150 over the 125 if your gonna rock a 14" fan. More carbon is always nice. But that sucker is like 5 feet tall, plus a fan, add another 14 or so inches, plus a muffler and your 10' tall.

And a Speed Control would def work well.

I have also quieted down several large fans with something as simple as insulated ducting from Home depot. Just cut a piece 6-8' and bam a super cheap duct muffler. Doesn't quiet it down as much but pretty darn close.

I can't rock anything taller then a 125 because after I put the fan and muffler and then a 90 on it to direct the air I am like 9 feet tall and I'll hit my ceiling.

I would say try the insulated ducting first and it may be quiet enough especially if the 14 is that much quieter then the 10's I rock. And that is super cheap compared to a muffler or a speed control.

But all in all I told him just try the insulated ducting first b4 he goes spending all his money on equipment he does not need!! But one last question does he have to get that speed controller for the fan to make sure the fan does not burn out and to have longer life with it?? Or is that something they put out here for us to spent more money on fancy equipment ???? And once again thanks to u farmers my buddy says !!

treebark1950

treebark1950

I would just try the insulated ducting and if he wants to quiet it down more then i would grab the speed control but no since in spending the money on it right now if he doesn't need it.

SweetTooth

SweetTooth

In the HVAC trade what they do to quiet down duct noise is run insulated flex duct and loop it in a 360. It is a relatively cheap and efficient way to reduce (not eliminate) noise

green punk

green punk

12" Vortex V Series, much quieter and more out put, cost 10 more bucks. Max Fans are loud as hell.

Top Bottom