Can-Fan leaking, or normal?

• Thread starter rick ratlin
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
rick ratlin

rick ratlin

Perpetual Farmer
Supporter
So I picked up two new Can-Fan HO units, one 6" and one 4." The housing seam, where the bracket screws attach, is spewing air, not a lot, but noticeable. The leaking air is flowing in the direction of the intake, so essentially backwards. The outtake has plenty of air flowing out though, so the unit is doing its job. My question is this: Is this natural for Can-Fan HO units, because my other inline fans don't do this. However, the Can-Fans are rated at a much higher running temperature(approximately by 75 degrees fahrenheit) so I thought this might be some sort of cooling design. These fans are located in the attic, and pull air from the rooms through a carbon filter and into the rest of the house. Essentially it is a closed loop system, and I'm worried this escaping air will effect my attempt to have a negative air pressure in the flower room. Sorry to go on, just thought the details might help, I can't find anything for troubleshooting these fans. Thanks Farmers!

W

Worm254

I put HVAC (foil) tape over the seems, worked for me. Shouldn't be enough air escaping to cause concern though.

rick ratlin

rick ratlin

Perpetual Farmer
Supporter
Thanks Worm, I cover all fans with dynamat, so that should do the trick. So is this escaping air an issue a defect, or normal?

W

Worm254

Most likely that's just how they are made, as most fans are made pretty cheap (even high end fans), and not necessarily air tight. I have a few different brands of fans, but a couple of my fans had slight air leaks at the seams. I consider this normal now that i have seen it a few times with different brand fans that I have.

Top Bottom