Can-Fan or Phresh Filter?

• Thread starter twist1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
twist1

twist1

OK, so let m start off with a :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

All these damn choices and my eyes are starting to play tricks on me with the amount of time I'm spending in front this monitor and the iphone.

Anyway, I was all set on buying the Phresh Filters and went in to my local {hour drive} hydro store to get them. Long story short, the guy in there had nothing positive to say about them and was going on about the {lacking} weight of the filter and that their RC-48 carbon is basically hog wash and there is nothing special.... just marketing and told me to buy the Can-Fan.

Sooo, my latest question/s of the week is:

Which do you use?
Have you used both? If so, which do you like better?
Does the RC-48 carbon have any difference compared to the carbon that is used in the Can-Fan?
WHICH one should I get?

twist1

twist1

mountain air FTW. I bought a bunch of phresh filters because I just don't care, but mountain air makes a damn good filter.

Damn, they're expensive! Maybe the next buildout, because this one is quickly running out of coins. Damn @ttystikk talking me into the water cooled system. HAHA

So, I take it that your choices would be:
1-Mountain Air &
2-Phresh Filters?

MysteryChild

MysteryChild

Phresh filter because they are more compact than Can-Fan
Or Mountain Air like Capulator said but i'd go with the Phresh but that's just me

sky high

sky high

yo twist1....

So...um.....did the guy at the hydro shop carry Phresh....or is he a CanFan/Filter Dealer solely? (wish I still had the wholesale shit to see the markup differences between the two). Ya never know WHY folks say what they say is my point.

I have both/sold both in my store when it was open (Phresh was Phat then...same filter design/carbon/etc.) and still use both brands. In fact, I have 5 filters en total. 3 Phats, a Can 50...and an inline "Probio"(from the same folks who made the Coliseum grow chamber) It's been a few years since I busted open a Can filter (or had one bust open in shipping) but they used to use carbon that was shaped like rabbit food pellets and IMO, doesn't pack as well as the angular/chipped peices that Phresh/Phat uses. It also weighs more than the angular stuff. Contrary to what yer hydro guy said...the amount of carbon in each filter is about the same if their size is relative. Can may use a bit more....but they need to with those rabbit pellets IMO.

FWIW..i like the Angular carbon and the lighter weight of the Phresh/etc. The only reason I own a Can 50 was UPS dropped it and paid me for the damages...but didn't want the fucked up filter. Took me about 1/2 hour to rebend some shit and refill it...and I've used that thing for 5 years now.... LOL (though it does need a repack)

They ALL work. Find a good deal/dealer and shut yer eyes and go for it. Don't listen to the hydro guys crap about "you can't refill them..they pack them special at the factory"....cus they jus wanna sell you a NEW filter. Replacement carbon is all over the net in decent sized bags. When the time comes...buff off the rivets...take the top off...pour/weigh the carbon...and buy more to refill it. I have refilled mine 3 times now....on about $300 worth of carbon. MUCH cheaper than buying 15 new filters along the way.

That's how we do it here @ the Ranch. Others certainly do things differently/will say otherwise. (these folks are prolly ballin hard with a fist of cash... ;-) Good luck.

Mr_GreenGenes

Mr_GreenGenes

I agree with Sky. I've used both and use Phresh exclusively now. MGG

twist1

twist1

yo twist1....

So...um.....did the guy at the hydro shop carry Phresh....or is he a CanFan/Filter Dealer solely? (wish I still had the wholesale shit to see the markup differences between the two). Ya never know WHY folks say what they say is my point.

I have both/sold both in my store when it was open (Phresh was Phat then...same filter design/carbon/etc.) and still use both brands. In fact, I have 5 filters en total. 3 Phats, a Can 50...and an inline "Probio"(from the same folks who made the Coliseum grow chamber) It's been a few years since I busted open a Can filter (or had one bust open in shipping) but they used to use carbon that was shaped like rabbit food pellets and IMO, doesn't pack as well as the angular/chipped peices that Phresh/Phat uses. It also weighs more than the angular stuff. Contrary to what yer hydro guy said...the amount of carbon in each filter is about the same if their size is relative. Can may use a bit more....but they need to with those rabbit pellets IMO.

FWIW..i like the Angular carbon and the lighter weight of the Phresh/etc. The only reason I own a Can 50 was UPS dropped it and paid me for the damages...but didn't want the fucked up filter. Took me about 1/2 hour to rebend some shit and refill it...and I've used that thing for 5 years now.... LOL (though it does need a repack)

They ALL work. Find a good deal/dealer and shut yer eyes and go for it. Don't listen to the hydro guys crap about "you can't refill them..they pack them special at the factory"....cus they jus wanna sell you a NEW filter. Replacement carbon is all over the net in decent sized bags. When the time comes...buff off the rivets...take the top off...pour/weigh the carbon...and buy more to refill it. I have refilled mine 3 times now....on about $300 worth of carbon. MUCH cheaper than buying 15 new filters along the way.

That's how we do it here @ the Ranch. Others certainly do things differently/will say otherwise. (these folks are prolly ballin hard with a fist of cash... ;-) Good luck.

Ya know, I thought about that as well with him not carrying Phresh filters. But the 'pitch' was so damn strong. LOL

I see what you are saying about the shape of the carbon and how the angled should pack better..... especially when it is vibrated in.

Alrighty then, I am back to my initial thought of getting the Phreshhhhhh:)

One less part to research. I think I about done. But probably not. I'm sure I will change my mind or rethink some other part of the build-out.

Thank you everyone for your input.

Tank333

Tank333

Twist, if I were you, I would just order your filter from an online store that doesn't charge shipping. If it takes you an hour to drive to your hydro store, and an hour to drive back, how much extra are you paying for all that gas just to go get a filter?? When I lived up in the mountain pass in N Washington, I had amazon prime. Just about anything amazon ships, free two day shipping...

sky high

sky high

If you know your supplier and know they ship discreetly...that might be a good move if the price is right, tank.

On the flipside....it's a scary feeling to see a box on the doorstep that has a big picture/ad/etc on it that relates to growing if your surroundings don't allow for such activities. Been there, done that. It's a definite "I need to go change my pants now and hey...maybe even toss a cookie er two" kinda moment.

kinda figured the guy was just doin a sales pitch with the stock he had on hand, twist. Can't blame him...but that shouldn't limit >your< options either simply because he doesn't wanna pony up to keep another brand in stock.

Tank333

Tank333

On the flipside....it's a scary feeling to see a box on the doorstep that has a big picture/ad/etc on it that relates to growing if your surroundings don't allow for such activities. Been there, done that. It's a definite "I need to go change my pants now and hey...maybe even toss a cookie er two" kinda moment.

Very valid point. I've lived in Washington my entire life, and when I started growing it was in a city that very much supported medical growers. I've never really had to worry all that much about whether or not a UPS delivery driver saw that I was buying hydro gear. Lol

I even had an apartment complex try to throw me and my cousin out because we were growing, but threatening a lawsuit (and the fact that the cops wouldn't evict us on that sole basis) stopped that real quick. Lol

sensicloud

sensicloud

Good information from sky high there, but if I had to pick one of those I'd pick the Phresh, they've worked for me many times before and better than some others like carbonaire

qupee

qupee

Phresh. Lighter weight doesn't mean it filters less. Sounds like the hydro guy just wanted to close the sale. I order online, most places are clear about how they will ship things. Above a certain size though, filters often need special shipping that can be expensive.

Strive

Strive

never used a phresh but just bought a can 33 (to save $20 wtf) instead and that little sucker is heavy as hell. works great but very heavy. never heard anything bad about phresh,it'll be the brand bought most likely

sixstring

sixstring

well I have used em all and to me it seems the lighter they are the quicker they stop filtering skunky air away ;)
I would rate them can,phresh,and activeair 123 and not because of weights.i always label my filters when I install them and I let my neighbor lady be the judge on when to change em,she's got a great sniffer,maybe a lil bulldog in her to,kinda flat faced :clown: naw she's hip to what im doing and always walks her dogs right up next to my grow,and always lets me know when she can start to smell the bushes.i get almost 12 months from the can filters and about 6-8 months from anything else,i always run very low rh in my rooms in the 30%-40% range,always.I believe it has more to do with the type of charcoal/carbon used and total surface area of the material,not so much the shape.but I never tried mountain air or the probio sky & cap was talkin about,just never seen those around here or im certain I woulda tried em.

reloader

reloader

I bought a large used hood off E-bay awhile back, & I couldn't believe it, the seller shipped it in the original box, with color picture on the box. I was sketched for months after that.

N

noone88

Phresh filter isn't as good as CAN or Mountain Air. Phresh filters seem to only last at most two years. CAN and Mountain Air are imo the best in the market.

Latest posts

Top Bottom