Can I add something to my lights for better yield or do I need get new lights?

• Thread starter Lisa22
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Lisa22

Lisa22

I have 4 year old Viparspectra 300W led grow lights. I have 4 in a 4x4 tent. They seem to do great in veg but I am getting low yields at harvest and think that it must not be enough light in flower. Is there something I can add to help what I have or do I need to totally switch out? Trying to be cost effective with what I already have but know these are older technology. Appreciate ideas!

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
I have 4 year old Viparspectra 300W led grow lights. I have 4 in a 4x4 tent. They seem to do great in veg but I am getting low yields at harvest and think that it must not be enough light in flower. Is there something I can add to help what I have or do I need to totally switch out? Trying to be cost effective with what I already have but know these are older technology. Appreciate ideas!
I'd upgrade to a full spectrum. Blurples aren't good for flower.

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
What did you end up getting, I remember you asking about the p1500/p1000?
I'm trying to see if I can get a friend in the us to send an xs1500 to me because they don't ship to Canada but if I can't I'm going to get the 135w hlg qb.

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
Which one/ones would you suggest?
I'm not sure about 4x4 but I'll put a link to a light thread I posted where a lot of knowledgeable people gave their input. It's probably worth the read.

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter

Lisa22

Lisa22

Super thank you. Had been searching - so hard to find the right link! Really appreciate.

Lisa22

Lisa22

I just got a Viparspectra P2500 to replace 4 Viparspectra 300's - it shows needing to acclimate the plants for 5 days using 40% light at twice the height. I'm 3 weeks into flower and hate to do that but don't want to burn up my plants. Has anyone else replaced the 300's with the newer lights? Did you go 1/2 strength for a week?

beluga

beluga

Well, you're actually losing more than half your wattage going from those to that. So, you definitely don't need to go half strength.
I would probably keep two of those 300's running alongside the p2500 to get you around the same wattage and you'll be good.

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
If you can It's better to raise the light rather than dim it because that way you increase coverage while you lower intensity. I'd honestly just put it at a pretty high height/dimmed a lot and work your way closer/brighter and look at the plant often to make sure it's not light burned. Once you find the right height, raise it a bit just to be sure and go off of that height.

Lisa22

Lisa22

If you can It's better to raise the light rather than dim it because that way you increase coverage while you lower intensity. I'd honestly just put it at a pretty high height/dimmed a lot and work your way closer/brighter and look at the plant often to make sure it's not light burned. Once you find the right height, raise it a bit just to be sure and go off of that height.
Thank you- On their directions they are saying do both. I will call them tomorrow as the directions leave a me with a lot of questions. Will let you know what they say. Excited to maybe put some weight on my buds!

beluga

beluga

If they're already at 3 weeks into flowering, they're plenty capable of taking an adjustment to light so long as it's the same intensity. Wattage is going to be driving your intensity more so than the type of light that's used, so you should probably be okay with using the full spectrum light as a replacement to the blurple configuration.
Your addition of fuller spectrum light isn't going to impact a mature plant so much that you should be concerned about it being too effected by a light configuration of slightly lesser intensity.
4x 130W (300's) = 520W
1x V2500 = 250W
2x 130 W + 1x 250 W = 510W

As far as space constraints... that's a different story. What size grow area do you have?

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
If they're already at 3 weeks into flowering, they're plenty capable of taking an adjustment to light so long as it's the same intensity. Wattage is going to be driving your intensity more so than the type of light that's used, so you should probably be okay with using the full spectrum light as a replacement to the blurple configuration.
Your addition of fuller spectrum light isn't going to impact a mature plant so much that you should be concerned about it being too effected by a light configuration of slightly lesser intensity.
4x 130W (300's) = 520W
1x V2500 = 250W

As far as space constraints... that's a different story. What size grow area do you have?
I think the p2500 would be more efficient than the blurples so maybe a bit less intensity.

tomatoesarecooltoo

tomatoesarecooltoo

4x 130W (300's) = 520W
1x V2500 = 250W

Original Post says 4x4 tent, I agree with @beluga 250W will not be enough for a 4x4 even with those killer Samsung diodes. You will want two of those v2500s to fully replace your blurples.

Growrx

Growrx

Original Post says 4x4 tent, I agree with @beluga 250W will not be enough for a 4x4 even with those killer Samsung diodes. You will want two of those v2500s to fully replace your blurples.
He’s correct, two p2500’s is what viparspectra recommend for a 4x4, or opt to getting the p4000 😅 (just realized they make this one)

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
The p1500 is just enough for a 2x2 so you'd need the equivalent of a p6000. If you already have a p2500 then you can either get another one and a p1500 or just get a p4000.

tomatoesarecooltoo

tomatoesarecooltoo

You can run a SERIOUS light in a 4x4.

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
You can run a SERIOUS light in a 4x4.

That's what I was thinking but she's already invested in a p2500.

Top Bottom